TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much deliberation, I don't have enough money to do a quality lift and get tires - and I need a new set of tires. I don't want to get a set of stock size if I can avoid it since the tires will most likely still be in good shape when i go to lift the vehicle, and will quite possibly look stupid under it. So:

Are there any upgradable sizes I can go to from the 265/70/16r without a lift?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
equacken said:
After much deliberation, I don't have enough money to do a quality lift and get tires - and I need a new set of tires. I don't want to get a set of stock size if I can avoid it since the tires will most likely still be in good shape when i go to lift the vehicle, and will quite possibly look stupid under it. So:

Yes you can. I ran MT/R's in that size for about a year before I finally lifted. On road chances are you'll have zero rubbing. Off road you'll probably tear the front mudflaps off and may tag the pinch weld on stock rims. With aftermarket rims with less back spacing, you'll definitely tag the pinchweld.

There's a write-up about fixing the pinchweld issue over at custom tacos, pretty simple really, all you need is a utility knife and a hammer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
equacken said:

Each truck, and each tire brand is a little different, but you can get away with a 265/75/16 on most stock taco's. I put the Bridgestone Dueller A/T REVO on my truck in that size before I lifted the truck, and the only place I rubbed was on the frame rail at full lock turns.

·
Registered
793 Posts
As stated each truck seems to be alittle finicky.
I'm runnin 265/75/16s and have no rubbing problems. I banged the pinch weld back just for insurance. I didn't rub even before I did the pinch weld.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock 02, are you using the stock rims? I also have an '02 Xcb 4x4. If so this sounds good to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Equaken, I dont mean to hijack your thread but I just posted this same question on customtacos.com. Stock02, What brand/type tires are you running?
I want to stay with BFG ATs and step up to the 265/75/16s. Anyone experience rubbing with these particular tires. Or I have been looking at the Yokohama Geolander ATs in the 75 size, anyone have these and experience any rubbing? Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
equacken said:

I'd recommend the 265/75/16's if you are looking for a lift in the future. I was in the same boat when I got my Kings and AAL in the rear I had almost new 265/70/16's. Now, I can't seem to wear them out fast enough!

The larger 75 aspect ratio tires should only have minor rubbing if at all. Another bonus is they are cheaper in the 75 aspect ratio as this is one of the most popular sizes.

You can also run a 275/70/16 tire which is a little wider and taller than stock but they are expensive and limited to a few brands.

·
Registered
793 Posts
equacken said:
Stock 02, are you using the stock rims? I also have an '02 Xcb 4x4. If so this sounds good to me.
Yes, stock rims.

·
Registered
793 Posts
STOCKTRD said:
Equaken, I dont mean to hijack your thread but I just posted this same question on customtacos.com. Stock02, What brand/type tires are you running?
I want to stay with BFG ATs and step up to the 265/75/16s. Anyone experience rubbing with these particular tires. Or I have been looking at the Yokohama Geolander ATs in the 75 size, anyone have these and experience any rubbing? Thanks
I have Sport King A/Ts on. They are a Michelin tire but off brand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So next question is can I run the 275/70/16s on stock rims and what rubbing can I expect with them if any.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I came here this morning to pretty much ask about this same issue. I however have no plans to lift in the future. I would like to go with the 265/75/16 BFG AT KO tires, but I do go off roading. I only do moderate off roading, and rubbing tires would make me PO'd. Should I just stay with the 265/70/16s? Walmart sells them for $136 each plus $10 for road hazard and install. I did see some Goodyear Wrangler tires on a taco this morning that looked pretty sweet, I think they were mud terrain type. I really want the best tire for my money, since I am not made of money. Are the Goodyear and the BFG going to last about the same # of miles and everything? Most of my miles are freeway. I have the crappy BFG rugged trail tires on my truck right now. About 50K miles on them, and I know they would last at least another 20K, but I feel like getting new tires because there is some cupping going on. I am not so good at keeping with the rotation schedule, and that has probably shortened the life of these tires. Anyways, thanks for any reply.

·
Registered
598 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I came here this morning to pretty much ask about this same issue. I however have no plans to lift in the future. I would like to go with the 265/75/16 BFG AT KO tires, but I do go off roading. I only do moderate off roading, and rubbing tires would make me PO'd. Should I just stay with the 265/70/16s? Walmart sells them for $136 each plus $10 for road hazard and install. I did see some Goodyear Wrangler tires on a taco this morning that looked pretty sweet, I think they were mud terrain type. I really want the best tire for my money, since I am not made of money. Are the Goodyear and the BFG going to last about the same # of miles and everything? Most of my miles are freeway. I have the crappy BFG rugged trail tires on my truck right now. About 50K miles on them, and I know they would last at least another 20K, but I feel like getting new tires because there is some cupping going on. I am not so good at keeping with the rotation schedule, and that has probably shortened the life of these tires. Anyways, thanks for any reply.
If you have no plans for a lift in the future I would stick with the 70 aspect ratio tires.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Chief,

Don't run those rugged trail tires any more. They may not look worn out but the internals of the tire wear out long before the tread does.

If you aren't ok with any rubbing while you wait for the lift, then just go with the stock size and you can kick yourself like I do as I wait for them to wear out:)

As far as the 275/70/16 tire goes, I hear they do not rub on stock wheels with no lift. They are slightly taller and wider than stock. BFG makes them in the ATKO style.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the advice calamaridog. I actually was looking closer at my tires today and decided that it is necessary for me to get new tires ASAP. The cupping on the inside front tires is severe, and there is no tread left in that area. Looks unsafe from the outside, and if the internal tire is worse then they are just and accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an 01 Double Cab 4x4 & just had a set of 275/70/16 BFG A/T's installed on my stock wheels. No rubbing at all. They ride great.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I ran 265/75R16 without a lift for a little while. You'll nick the frame occasionally, and you'll definitely contact the mudflaps. Might even rip 'em off off-road.

It took a certain set of conditions for rubbing, however minor, to occur. I was able to make it happen just pulling into parking lots and driveways over a bump while turning. You'll get a nice rubbing sound and people will look at you funny like something is wrong with your truck.

I was going to put a lift on anyway, but I was definitely glad once it was on there. Then again, rubbing is relative, it bothered me but probably most people could live with it.

This was on a stock 2k1 TRD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Pete
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing