TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few diffrent searches on this topic and I am getting conflicting stories. Many people have said they will fit on a stock Taco 4x4 but I have read a few posts where people said they will rub at full flex... so can anyone who maybe has this setup or has had it in the past shine some light here... Also is this the largest tire you can run stock at full flex? THANKS!!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
if you want bigger tires with no lift, prepare to rub :p

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jester I am not sure your reply made much sense... so let me clarify incase I was misunderstood the first time... I am NOT lifting my truck right now. I DO take it offroad and at times it is at FULL FLEX. I don't want the tires to rub and mess something up. So all that being said... will 265/75R16's rub on my stock truck at full flex?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Jester I am not sure your reply made much sense... so let me clarify incase I was misunderstood the first time... I am NOT lifting my truck right now. I DO take it offroad and at times it is at FULL FLEX. I don't want the tires to rub and mess something up. So all that being said... will 265/75R16's rub on my stock truck at full flex?
And like I said the first time, if you don't want to rub, then plan on clearancing. If you're unsure what the term "clearancing" means, then... well, I'm just not sure what to tell you. You've gotta make room for stuff. If you don't want to lift stuff out of the way, then you might have to cut stuff out of the way (clearancing).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad, I did not understand "clearancing". Thank you for the explanation. However I really don't want to cut stuff either. So what you are telling me is that w/o a lift or cutting stuff, 265/75R16's wont fit my stock 4x4, correct?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Blinn79 said:
My bad, I did not understand "clearancing". Thank you for the explanation. However I really don't want to cut stuff either. So what you are telling me is that w/o a lift or cutting stuff, 265/75R16's wont fit my stock 4x4, correct?

Oh, they'll fit but more than likely, you're going to have some rubbing in certain situations. It all depends on whether or not you actually plan on using your truck though. If it's a drive-around-town-never-actually-sees-any-offroad-action then you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
http://www.redrock4x4.com/tech/tire_calc.php?txtWidth=265&txtAspect=75&txtRim=16&submitButtonName=Calculate&method=metric

Use that conversion tool.

Those tires should fit just fine. I run 31x10.50/15's and have no issues.

According to that conversion tool, these tires you speak of are 31.6x10.4/16, My 31's measure out to right at 31" and they are about 2 years old.

You should not have many issues. They may rub slightly on the pinch weld on the front firewall, but I think they will clear.

If nothing else just get some 31x10.5's I know they will fit with no problems at all.

Good luck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
dont get Mesas they came on my 95 when I picked it up and are only 29 and a half.Should a newer 31X10.50 measure out at 31" from the ground to the top

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
They are usually shorter than they claim on the sidewall.

It differs from company to company.

My Duelers measure just at 31 though.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have 275/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's on my truck. They're a bit taller than the stock 265/70's, and not as tall as the 265/75/16's would be.... and they fit fine on my truck. If I went any bigger though, I'm pretty sure I would have rubbing issues under flex based on the clearances that I measured out under there.

I could probably even go slightly bigger than what I have right now without rubbing on the road.. but it would absolutely rub when flexing without a lift. Bear in mind that my truck is a single cab 4 Cylinder, so it's going to be less likely to rub while equipped with the same tires than your X-Cab V6 would be... because you have about 570 pounds of additional engine and x-cab weight up front pushing down on your suspension and chewing up small amounts of clearance. The front end is probably going to be about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 of an inch lower than the single cab 4-cylinder.

My suggestion to you would be to go outside and turn your wheels to full lock while on flat ground, and then measure how much space you have between your frame rails and tire and also between the plastic splash moldings/mud flaps and your tires. Then drive one of your front tires up onto a rock, ramp or some stacked up wood and see how much clearance you have with some flex on the truck(Be very careful if you use ramps and try to turn your tires, because if the ramps aren't wide enough, you could roll off the ramps side). You should be able to find out the difference between your current tires and the ones you plan to get over on tirerack.com, and do the math to determine if the difference between the 2 sets of tires is greater than your current clearances that you just measured. Bear in mind that if your current tires are extremely worn out, the new ones that you get will be slightly greater than the difference that you calculated out from the tirerack.com specs on the 2 sets of tires, because your current tires tread wear is not reflected by the tirerack specs(resulting in as much as 1/2 an inch of additional tire radius, or 1 inch of tire diameter than you initially accounted for).

Honestly though.. I think you will definitely rub under flex with those new 265/70/16's under flex if the wheels are turned.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
265/75/R16 Interco TRXus MTs rubbed bad on the pinch weld (rear part of front fender) when turning AND under compression on my then stock 03 TRD Ex Cab 3.4L auto. I installed some TRD Tundra 2wd coilover/struts up front for a little over 1 1/2" of lift and that solved the rubbing. Each truck and tire brand are different, though, and that size tire might rub on some (like it did on mine) and might not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I feel alot better about the whole tire size thing now,cause after I lifted the truck 2 3/4 in front and a rear aal in the back,the stock 31s looked bad,but they are really only 29.5 high so a real 32" should fit the bill,Now I just need to find out what bfg AT measure out to,google!

·
Registered
339 Posts
yea i have 31x10.50 Bfg A/T's and one night leaving a field didnt see a big hole and ripped a screw out of my mud flap so they might scrub just a little

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My experience; that size in GY MT/R fits fine on stock wheels with no lift, I experienced minor rubbing under compression+turning instances. With no lift on slightly wider wheels with a little less backspacing there was a lot of rubbing on the pinch weld, cut back the fender liner, and hammered on the pinch weld=problem fixed for the most part, just had to put up with the ocassional sound of tread rubbing metal.

With the combination of that tire and wheel, plus 2" of lift and I had little to no rubbing.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I ran 265/75/16 trxus m/t's on stock wheels on my 02, no lift. I flexed it pretty good offroad, enough to get a rear tire off the ground. The tires never touched the pinch weld, I could see from a tiny tiny bit of paint rubbed off the frame, that it would sometimes touch there. Never heard it rub, no tire wear, nothing to be concerned with at all.

But then again you hear about guys with the same tire size and truck talking about major rubbing :confused: . I think youll be fine with that size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts