TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last time I tried to mount 285/75/16 Trxus MT's on my steel 16x7 wheels I had to go to a small mexican tire shop because Discount refused, claiming I had to have an 8" wheel. Now I am selling those and wanting to run 285/75/16 All Terrain's on the stock wheels and Discount won't even quote me a price or sell them to me loose because they say it is extremely dangerous and the belts will separate from being bowed out too much due to the narrow wheel. I have been running my Trxus on 16x7's for almost a year with NO PROBLEMS, and I know there are alot of guys on here doing the same. Does anyone know what the hell is going on and why I can't just get a new tire with a warranty? And don't tell me to buy 255's, I don't like em. I think I might have to spend the bucks on some 16x8's if I want a road hazard warranty.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Shouldnt be an issue.. its not ideal but IMO the worst that would happen is you wear the centers out much quicker... I had a buddy run 32x11.50's on his OEM 15x7 rims, I think discount did it in WA...The BFG rim range on the 285 A/T's is 7.5-9", so your not far out of the range.. .Ask if they would mount them on a 10" wheel, if they say yes tell them its more out of range than your 7" rims.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm running now and it is just fine. Dammit I just want Discount's tire warranty.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Buy the 255s... :)

Someone had to do it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It is not the smartest thing, but I have seen a lot worse. The worst were those idiots that would put a 185/75 14 on a 7 in wheel. The wheels were wider than the tires. It was the poor mans low profile tire.

The widest you should run on a 7in wheel is a 10.5. A 285 is 11.2, but that is nominal so you are still close. A little over, but not too bad. There are a few problems that you can expect.
1. The tire will wear out in the middle if you run the correct air pressure. You can compensate for this by lowering the air pressure, but that is way more risk than what is it worth (I can explain in detail if needed).
2. You will get a lot of deflection (road sway).
3. The safety factor that keeps discount from selling them to you is that the bead doesn't set right on the wheel. It is hard to describe, but because the tire is pulled in, the bead can not set flat and you can lose the bead if you hit something or turn real tight. This is a possibility, but is not likely. It can happen so Discount will not take the risk.

I wouldn't have a problem running them, but for liability reason I don't think I would do it for someone else.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. Like I said, I'm currently running the same combo, 285/75/16 TrXuz MT's on black steel 16x7's with no problems. I called 4wheelparts and the guy on the phone said they will mount them on the stock wheels no problem and I beleive they have a decent "roadhazard" waranty too.

BadBradHaz - It's interesting that you bring up the way the bead seats on the wheel because I've thought about that very thing before. When I first got my tires I was out running a sandy wash with 13psi in my tires. I slid sideways around a turn and got sand in the bead and it slowly leaked all the air out. The only thing that made me disregard this as an issue is that I bought the tires used and the bead had a chunk missing, which inicidentally is exactly where the air leaked out. So I think all of the factors added up to my leak: chunked bead, too skinny of wheels, too low tire psi, sand trying to get in the bead. I bought a new tire and keep them up at 18psi when I'm hauling ass and I haven't had any problems since. I have always wondered though if the bead of the tire was slightly cocked against the wheel where it seats. Sorry for the novel, I'm just trying to get my thoughts out there for others to ponder.

I'll update everyone if I wind up buying the tires from 4wheelparts and they mount them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From a PM with Baja Belk:

That's the same tire I ran for 2 years and about 60K miles with no issues. Even had 3 screws and nails in them without a single flat. There was like no tread left though so I just got new BFG Mud Terrains, but the same size. I don't foresee any issues, though I haven't heard about any lawsuits or anything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i've got 305/70/16 on 16x6. sears told me i would wear out the centers on them. i told them to mount them any way and they did. ive run those for 8 thousand miles with no problems.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i've got 305/70/16 on 16x6. sears told me i would wear out the centers on them. i told them to mount them any way and they did. ive run those for 8 thousand miles with no problems.
It just goes to show that sears has some real idiots working there. No offense to you, but that is a horrible application. I don't think you have to worry about wearing out the centers because you will probably crash long before that happens. I can only hope that you are getting some 10 in wide wheels very soon. Your tires are twice as wide as your wheels. That is scary!

·
Registered
191 Posts
crash? how the hell is this going to make me crash? before i got my tacoma i was driving this truck 140 miles round trip to work everyday at 80 on the interstate for 2 months with no problems. on a previous truck i had 36x12.50/16 swamper radials on 16x6 steel wheels that i also drove everyday. dont believe everything the tire companys tell you. i agree that a wider rim would be better but there is nothing dangerous about my set up

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's another update. I just talked to another guy at Discount and he told me that Discount was having problems with this combo so they did a study and found that once the tire gets old it has problems with heating up too much due to too narrow of a rim.

Also from researching tire sizes it looks like a 33x12.5x15 is alot cheaper than a 285/75/16. If I'm buying wheels anyways I might as well get 15's and have a more common and cheaper tire.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Any updates on this issue? I would like to go with 285/75/16 as opposed to 255/85/16's. Also I noticed on a 8 inch rim a 285 would be around 33 inches so if you put a 285 on a 7 inch rim will you get a increase to around 33.5? I'm uncertain on whether going to a smaller rim would increase or decrease the overall size.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts