TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am interested in any responses that come up - I want to go with a 285 / 70 / 17 using stock rims and fitting a spare was always a concern.

I like the look of tailgate racks but can't justify the $$ at this point in time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Okay, so recently I got motivated to try and stuff my 285/75/16 up under where the spare tire used to be. Well, guys, bad news. It cant be done. The tire not only rubs the exhaust but also rubs the third member on the rear axle as well as the rear bumper. Pretty much you are left to a few other options, 1, put it in the bed, 2, put it in some type of rack above the bed, or 3, in a rack over the cab - good luck

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
ffproulx said:
Okay, so recently I got motivated to try and stuff my 285/75/16 up under where the spare tire used to be. Well, guys, bad news. It cant be done. The tire not only rubs the exhaust but also rubs the third member on the rear axle as well as the rear bumper. Pretty much you are left to a few other options, 1, put it in the bed, 2, put it in some type of rack above the bed, or 3, in a rack over the cab - good luck
That just killed my next project to fit one. I will see what I can do. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I stuffed my 285/75/16 where the stock spare goes. It doesn't touch the exhaust at all. The only problem was that the brackets aren't wide enough. As a result, my spare doesn't sit flush like the stock. I've just kept it like that though because I can't get it to budge even if I tried, so it's good enough.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Ive got a 285/70/17 tire....its been in the bed for awhile then i decided to MAKE it fit underneath......

I used a hammer and wore drum earmuffs and beat the shit out of the 2 brackets that stick out. Then I cranked on the tire pulley to lift the tire and it fit pretty snug...i WAS happy...then after a couple days I checked underneath and found out that the tire was hitting the rear diff about 1/4" cause I saw the tire marks on the diff....Now i know why those brackets are there for a reason

So the spare tire is right back on my bed :mad:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ive got a 285/70/17 tire....its been in the bed for awhile then i decided to MAKE it fit underneath......
Definately a defeat with honor though.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Im going to try to cut those brackets and have new brackets welded in. We will see how it goes. Give me two weeks.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
06LVTACO said:
Im going to try to cut those brackets and have new brackets welded in. We will see how it goes. Give me two weeks.
Good luck! I hate that my spare is on my bed!!!!!!!!!!

I punched the brackets all the way in....SO when i have time im gonna take a prybar and try to get the brackets to stick out again, just enough for the tire to fit and NOT hit the rear differential

My mistake was that i beat the brackets all the way in the first try....My suggestion is to hammer the brackets 1/2" then try to fit the tire...if it doesnt fit, hammer the bracket another 1/2"....its a PITA but its worth it...trial and error

1 - 10 of 10 Posts