TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have these big honkin' 285/75R16's BFG AT's on my Taco. I was out doing my best robby gordon impression when i hit a good dip, sweet so plush, coilovers ate it up. (Thanks to Scott at Camburg) When i did my post-offroading walk around and undercarriage inspection both of my fender flares were coming of. All they need are new clips in 2 spots which i already bought. Anyways. What size is everyone running and whats the next smallest tire for my 285/75R16? and some glass company really needs to make a 1-2 inch fiberglass fenders for these trucks. They would sell out the day they hit the market. Anyone else expierencing this problem?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
googled and came up with this: http://www.glassworksunlimited.com/
and: http://www.bushwacker.com/

285's are probably about the most common tire size for the '05+'s that are on this form. You will have some rubbing though unless you are willing to cut or have the proper BS on your wheels etc...
I understand your enthusiasm for the percieved need, but if the market was as big as you think, they would already be available...bushwackers are pretty nice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It looks like Bushwacker only makes a pocket style flair for 05+ Tacos. That won't do him any good because the pocket style doesn't add any clearance it just adds width for body protection.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the bushwackers also cost $400 for all four while factory charges $300 for just one, at least in my area

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What size is everyone running and whats the next smallest tire for my 285/75R16? and some glass company really needs to make a 1-2 inch fiberglass fenders for these trucks. They would sell out the day they hit the market.
Myself and a few other members have contacted Glassworks concerning this and were told "Most people who buy fiberglass fenders have Long Travel". Maybe more of us should contact and bug them. Their only size has a 4.5" flare which is way too wide for a non LT truck.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
onepremiere said:
So i have these big honkin' 285/75R16's BFG AT's on my Taco. I was out doing my best robby gordon impression when i hit a good dip, sweet so plush, coilovers ate it up. (Thanks to Scott at Camburg) When i did my post-offroading walk around and undercarriage inspection both of my fender flares were coming of. All they need are new clips in 2 spots which i already bought. Anyways. What size is everyone running and whats the next smallest tire for my 285/75R16? and some glass company really needs to make a 1-2 inch fiberglass fenders for these trucks. They would sell out the day they hit the market. Anyone else expierencing this problem?
add a 1" BL

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Body lifts are evil.
but sometimes a necessary one :p

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
See above for body mount cutting/plating. Body lifts are ok for rocks,mud, or any mild wheeling where your truck will never catch any air etc. Any high speed wheeling would crush a body lift. Hytenor or Dick Foster is this way off or am I on track??

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
06LVTACO said:
See above for body mount cutting/plating. Body lifts are ok for rocks,mud, or any mild wheeling where your truck will never catch any air etc. Any high speed wheeling would crush a body lift. Hytenor or Dick Foster is this way off or am I on track??
you are correct. if you plan on hi-speed wheeling then forget any sort of BL!
hell, even w/o them I know guys who have cracked their cabs :p

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Not necessary just convenient.
well, ok...not necessary as long as you are willing to do plenty of :saw: :welder:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
06LVTACO said:
What size is everyone running and whats the next smallest tire for my 285/75R16? and some glass company really needs to make a 1-2 inch fiberglass fenders for these trucks. They would sell out the day they hit the market.
Myself and a few other members have contacted Glassworks concerning this and were told "Most people who buy fiberglass fenders have Long Travel". Maybe more of us should contact and bug them. Their only size has a 4.5" flare which is way too wide for a non LT truck.
I got this from Glassworks "We do plan on doing a smaller flare in the coming months, can not give you an expected date at this time though. Will keep you posted."

So Its coming, but not fast enough!?!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Youve got some good intel.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
onepremiere said:
What size is everyone running and whats the next smallest tire for my 285/75R16?
06LVTACO said:
What size is everyone running and whats the next smallest tire for my 285/75R16?
265/75's

Or you can go to 15" wheels as non metric 33's are a tad shorter...

*Oh and about that evil BL... My inclusion of a 1" BL still allows a little rub at full stuff... but is liveable... It would take 2"s of BL to really clear shiat... Though I wouldn't do that...

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
hytenor said:
you are correct. if you plan on hi-speed wheeling then forget any sort of BL!
hell, even w/o them I know guys who have cracked their cabs :p
Yup. BL's are EVIL!!!!! I feel sorry for the poor sap who buys the Tacoma I had. That thing was FUBARD!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Yup. BL's are EVIL!!!!! I feel sorry for the poor sap who buys the Tacoma I had. That thing was FUBARD!

Hmm, I hope he sees this :p

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
hytenor said:
Hmm, I hope he sees this :p
Yup... before they buy from the dealer/auction... I couldn't ethically sell that truck to a private party.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Yup... before they buy from the dealer/auction... I couldn't ethically sell that truck to a private party.
hmm...what goes around.... ;)

might be why your rig breaks so easily :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
9 Participants
Wgasa84
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing