TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to run my stock steel wheels with 285x75x16 Kumho Venture MTs. With 3" lift on a reg cab will I run into any rubbing issues? If I need to run a wheel spacer, what studs do I run on an 03 4x4?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
351 Posts
you'll more than likely rub on the pinch weld. some people are running 285s and not complaining........some preach that any 33 will rub horribly without 5" of lift......

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think the biggest issue people have with 285's on stock wheels is clearing the spindle tower especially aired down. Solutions to this are wheel spacers, new wheels, or new upper A-arms. Have the tire shop test fit one for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
sr54x4 said:
I would like to run my stock steel wheels with 285x75x16 Kumho Venture MTs. With 3" lift on a reg cab will I run into any rubbing issues? If I need to run a wheel spacer, what studs do I run on an 03 4x4?

Thanks
John
You will rub the frame at full lock. You may rub the upper A-arm with the tire sidewall, especially when aired down. You will rub the fenders a bit under compression but it is liveable. I ran that setup for three years with no wheel spacers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yea, the rubbing he described is right, i have the same size tire, and i rarely rub the upper a arm though...........Aired down, theres not much eveidence of much contact on the a arm.......................but im sure it does, i have enough room to put 2 fingers between my a arm and my tire, but i have not gotten an alignmetn yet, sicne my lift, cause i will be getting uniball a arms soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jay04Taco said:
Yea, the rubbing he described is right, i have the same size tire, and i rarely rub the upper a arm though...........Aired down, theres not much eveidence of much contact on the a arm.......................but im sure it does, i have enough room to put 2 fingers between my a arm and my tire, but i have not gotten an alignmetn yet, sicne my lift, cause i will be getting uniball a arms soon.
The a-arm clearence varies quite a bit from tire to tire. I could not have put a nickel between my tire and the a-arm with the stock wheels. The sidewalls rubbed all of the paint off the arms but I never noticed any wear on the tire. I was keeping a REAL close eye on it after I noticed the paint was gone on the arm. :eek: Best bet is to mount 'em up and see what you've got.

·
Registered
351 Posts
so te biggest issue isn't the pinchweld? if you run aftermarket wheels with 3.25-4" of BS will that alliviate most rubing issues with 285/75???

·
Registered
307 Posts
That should, except for the rear bolt on the fender flare when bound up, and maybe an occasional rub onthe front plastic minor trimming should aliviate that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
cartman308 said:
so te biggest issue isn't the pinchweld? if you run aftermarket wheels with 3.25-4" of BS will that alliviate most rubing issues with 285/75???
I just made the switch to 4" BS. I have plenty of room between the sidewall and the a-arm and do not rub the frame at lock. I am getting a lot more rub in the pinchweld area. It was liveable before but I'm going to have to put the hammer to it before I hit the woods again.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Jay04Taco said:
2 fingers? LOL uh...that will change when yu get the thing aligned ;)

FYI on the uniballs...they are a hi-maintenance item. I've had to remove and re-grease mine 3 times in less than a year so far. The new ones come with zerks but you still have to grease those big flat washers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
youll rub on the frame and the UCA

i got 285/75/16 on my stock tacoma with a 2.5" daystar spacer in the front..and i only rub during full lock turns..but im getting new rims SOON

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm planning on an OME front lift (882/n85) that will give me about 2.5 inches of lift and a downey 2.5" aal in the back. If i buy rims with 4 1/4" bs would i have rubbing issues on the uca?? how bout the pinch weld? Would 4" bs be a better idea? I'm considering 285/75 IF the rubbing wouldn't be to bad. I like some of the ION wheels but they only come in 4 1/4 bs...... Eagle Alloy 186s come in 4" of bs.

I would try 15x8 but don't want to deal with the hassle of returning the rims if they don't fit........

or should i just scrap the 285/75 idea and stick with 265/75???????

thanks for the opinions

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
sr54x4 said:

Thanks
John
I'm getting those same tires on my truck on a set of wheelers black steel wheels next week. I'm going to Demello to get a 4" procomp lift installed first though. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jay04Taco said:
That should, except for the rear bolt on the fender flare when bound up, and maybe an occasional rub onthe front plastic minor trimming should aliviate that.
Careful if you trim too much of the plastic on the newer tacos. I trimmed a bit too much on the rear of the front wheel wells to get at the pinch weld. This opened up a passage for dirt/debris/whatever to get from the front tires to inside the fender and to my door jam area. After wheeling I was getting large stones, etc, in the door jam. I had to rivit in a new piece of plastic to fix it. Just something else to think about.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Ursidae69 said:
Careful if you trim too much of the plastic on the newer tacos. I trimmed a bit too much on the rear of the front wheel wells to get at the pinch weld. This opened up a passage for dirt/debris/whatever to get from the front tires to inside the fender and to my door jam area. After wheeling I was getting large stones, etc, in the door jam. I had to rivit in a new piece of plastic to fix it. Just something else to think about.
good point.

I've seen some rigs where they have welded in a new panel to replace the plastic. Pop-riveting the plastic in so it's nice and tight would be a quick/simple fix, then just use a can of that spray-on undercoating to fill in the cracks.

this is on my 'to-do' list ;)

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
cartman308 said:
I'm planning on an OME front lift (882/n85) that will give me about 2.5 inches of lift and a downey 2.5" aal in the back. If i buy rims with 4 1/4" bs would i have rubbing issues on the uca?? how bout the pinch weld? Would 4" bs be a better idea? I'm considering 285/75 IF the rubbing wouldn't be to bad. I like some of the ION wheels but they only come in 4 1/4 bs...... Eagle Alloy 186s come in 4" of bs.

I would try 15x8 but don't want to deal with the hassle of returning the rims if they don't fit........

thanks for the opinions
I think you want less BS like 3.5" or so.

Backspacing works like this: The lower the number the farther out the wheel sticks. The Higher the number the more sucked into the truck they are.

·
Registered
808 Posts
cartman308 said:

thanks for the opinions
With 2.5"s of lift and those size tires you will rub...if you move out the back spacing to 3 5/8 you'll rub less maybe not even at all on the frame or the upper arms but are more likely to hit around your fenders/pinch weld. I have 4" backspacing with a 3" lift with the 285's and rub at full turn on the frame and rub the fenders in the rear. I've cut and trimmed and kept it now down to where it is minimal, but I do still rub. Just to little lift for that big of tire. You could do a 33x10.5/15 or a 255/85/16, both of which are narrower tires and help eliminate some of the problems...not to mention you might have to re-gear. I have the auto V6 and it's "tolerable" but not "optimable". Good luck.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
cartman308 said:

thanks for the opinions
stick with the 265s and you might not have to regear. you can also run them on stock rims.
what engine/tranny, year truck?
If you can tollerate some minor frame rubbing the 4.0" bs is fine for 285s. 33x12.50s are an inch wider so require less bs; 3.25-3.75" is recommended for that size.
If you go with Wheelers rims you won't have the hassle with 15s; they fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got a 2.5 daystar lift with 16x8 balck steel wheels with 3.75 bs, and 285/75/16 xterrains, and i have no problem at all with rubbing on anything..thats the best bs on a wheel for a 2-4" lift..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have run that tire on both stock and aftermarket rims and there is no way around the rubbing. Its not really that bad though. I got over it. I grinded some of the upper a-arm down for clearance. The fit was so close, I got nervous and started grinding. At that time, I only rubbed on the frame, no pinch weld. When I switched to aftermarket rims, I got no more rub on the frame, but now on the pinch weld. The look of the tire size greatly outweighs the rub problem. Oh, by the way, I can't speak for heavy offroaders. Mine stays on the street most of the time.

My setup

2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab TRD Prerunner
OME 882s and 2.5 Downey AAL
285/75/r16 BFG AT KO's

Go for it.

JUSTIN
Mont Belvieu TX

1 - 20 of 23 Posts