TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
April 7-8

I'm going to arrange another trip out to the Mojave Preserve for Easter. Although we only had a small group go last year, it was beautiful, and we had a great time.

I think Easter 2007 is April 8th this year. The plan is do basically do what we did last year. Go out on Saturday afternoon/evening (as people can get off of work, and head out for a nice night of camping in tranquility, and then on and into the Mojave Preserve, probably via the Mojave Road again. I can schedule our Easter Brunch in the same spot as last year, or in another location, I know most of them.
Wouldn't mind having our brunch up in Caruthers Canyon, and you need to avoid the place if you're afraid of EXTREME BEAUTIFUL SCENERY!!!

Anyway, post up if you're interested. I'd like to have more than the four(4) trucks we had last year, but if that's it, then that's cool too. Believe me people, you will have fun and enjoy yourselves!!!

I'll post up more info to this first post, as I solidify my plans. :D
Last year.http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33109&page=2&pp=30

Itinerary:
This will be a trip leaving Las Vegas after work deal. I'm going to get out around 5:pm or so.

I've decided, after a couple people asked, to start on the Cima Road side, off of I-15. Now, if someone is able to go earlier, then, that's cool, as it's the easier of the two paths I've chosen.

For those that are leaving around 6:30 ish, then we can caravan out.
CB Channel 38.

From Las Vegas, take I-15 South, into California, up Mountain Pass, and Exit Cima Road exit. Turn Left, and go over I-15. There is a little store/gas station there to top off and use the bathrooms if you need to. (you can also fuel up @ Primm too. I'll probably top off at both places.

After you're done, turn left and enter the Mojave Preserve. Continue down Cima Road 10.4 miles and keep an eye out for a very large rock outcropping on the left hand side, on which you'll see a large White Cross (Covered by by a heavy white canvas cover, I'll tell you more about that later) and turn left on the little side road just before the Cross.
Don't stop at the rock, we're not camping there, keep taking that route straight through, it'll wind around and come upon another camp spot, go past that rock camping area to the next really big rock camping area. If it's open, then mark off enough room for at least 8 trucks (in case more come).

If that spot is taken, and the one before it is open, then go back to that one.

Historically, there are Easter sunrise services held there at the cross, so we might have some company, especially at the first area where the rock with the big Cross is at. There are plenty of spots to camp out around there, so not a big deal, I've got more around there as back up.

For those coming up from SoCal, then come up Mountain Pass after stopping at Baker for gas and Exit the Cima Road exit, and turn right, then follow instructions above.

Sunday morning, we will try and see the Sunrise (as it's astoundingly beautiful here) and/or get some extra sleep (depends on how much we drink Saturday night!).

We will go up to Death Valley Mine Road after we leave there, and up to Burro Springs (I think that's what it's called) and have our Easter Brunch and explore some of this incredible scenery.
After which, we'll eventually end up on the Famous Mojave Road and take it to it's conclusion.

At the Campground @ Afton Canyon, we'll have our Easter Lunch before heading home.:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
THANKS FOR PLANNING THIS AGAIN ROBERT!!! I know everyone who went last year had a blast!
FYI: AZRocks event is also that weekend. Although I think they shifted it to a Thursday to Saturday event to avoid Easter. If anyone is going to that I guess they could just come home via the Mojave Preserve. It would make a nice 4 day excursion!!
http://www.azttora.com/azrocks07/

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Im in. Please keep posting up any details. Matt

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
06LVTACO said:
Im in. Please keep posting up any details. Matt

Right on Matt, glad to have you on board. I'll start devising some plans, probably similar to those of last year, soon.
I've also posted this up on our (a lot of ours) sister board, Toyota120.com also.

·
Registered
558 Posts
last year was fun...some of the trails were alittle narrow for the f250 but it was still fun. not sure if I can make it this year but I will try.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7sx_Tacoma said:
last year was fun...some of the trails were a little narrow for the f250 but it was still fun. not sure if I can make it this year but I will try.

Steve my Brother!!! I was hoping you'd chime in!!! :xpimp:
I hope you can make it with us once again! Keep in touch and let me/us know. You can probably bring the Tacoma, and if there's any problem, we can always get you out. But that long travel PreRunner would be a hell of a lot of fun on some of those long stretches of the Mojave Road, especially if we do the Kelso/Cima to Seventeen Mile Point part of the road again!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be there. I went on a Mojave trip with Robert last september with Toyota120. Can't wait!

Caruthers would be awesome. Also would be fun to hit the sand dunes and the dry lake bed if we have time.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kdubz said:
I'll be there. I went on a Mojave trip with Robert last September with Toyota120. Can't wait!

Caruthers would be awesome. Also would be fun to hit the sand dunes and the dry lake bed if we have time.

Jon, glad you came over here. :thumbs: Don't think we'll have time to get all the way to through, as we'll be camping out Saturday night at a place where those coming in later through the night, can find.

Last year, that spot was Fort Paiute. James and Elizabeth rolled in around 1:00 am, and it was easy to find. The fact that it's off of the US 95 makes it bore convenient for you as well.
I've also been kicking around the Idea of camping/meeting up at Sunrise Rock, which is off of Cima Road, which is accessible from I -15. I guess it wouldn't be that much more difficult for you though. I-15 straight up from LA might actually be easier and faster than making it through I-40 to US-95. It's really a toss up. You'd have to go through Needles and gas up there.
On I-15, you'd gas up in Baker, then probably top off at the gas station @ I-15 and Cima Road exit.

Coming in at Fort Paiute, affords some wheeling just to get there, where as Sunrise Rock is right off of the paved road, which makes it very easy to find, just not as fun to get to.
Now, if we do the Cima Road side of the preserve, we'll be on the other side of the New York Mountains, and thusly, Caruthers Canyon. So with that scenario, we could conceivably make it to Afton Canyon.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if we start on the other side of the New York Mountains, we could back track to the other side, and go to Caruthers Canyon.

But staying on the Cima side, a short jaunt down to Kelso/Cima Road, puts us pretty much in the middle. There is a place that I didn't get a chance to show anyone on our last two trips last year, that we could now go to and have plenty of time to explore, and making it to Afton Canyon wouldn't be too much of a problem from there.

So, we'll play with the two different ideas and choose which side to go to. :D

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
7sx_Tacoma said:
wish I could bring the yota but its not ready yet, I still need quit a bit of work before its ready.

Is it not drivable? You brought it up to the Little Red Rock run last year, seemed like it was okay. Or did you tear it apart to add more cool stuff? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:driving: :camping: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Come on people!!!! I can't believe that we don't have interest on a cool ass run like this. I'm taking whoever wants to go, to a time long long ago. Even if it's just me! :D

If you've never experienced the Mojave Road and the Mojave Preserve at Easter, or anytime of the year for that matter, then you're truly doing yourselves a disservice!!! :eek:

I posted up a couple of ideas a few days ago, but nobody has had any input. I'm disappointed. :(

We had 16 trucks out to go to a trail close by, is everyone too timid to venture a little bit away from home? :confused:

If you go, you will enjoy the following:

:driving: :camping: :xbeer3: :xbeer2: :xbeer1: :boobies: (depends who comes) :xpopcorn: and more :xbeer3:then :camping:and more :driving:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd love to go!! I've never been down to the Mojave Road. I just don't have the seniority yet to get Easter off!!

Come on guys!!! I heard everyone had fun last year! I'm sure Robert would be willing to store eggs in his Engel MT60 fridge. What a great place for an easter egg hunt?!?!

Edited: I was trying for some Easter Colors!

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jayfredweb said:
I'd love to go!! I've never been down to the Mojave Road. I just don't have the seniority yet to get Easter off!!

Come on guys!!! I heard everyone had fun last year! I'm sure Robert would be willing to store eggs in his Engel MT60 fridge. What a great place for an Easter egg hunt?!?!

I know you have to work Jason, and It would be cool if you could come out, but I understand. But everybody doesn't have to work. I have to work on Saturday, but like last year, will get out early so I can get out there and meet up with anyone else who might be coming out, and set up camp.

On a side note Jason, can you go back and edit it. The very light colors you used are extremely hard to read. :D

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I confirmed time off so Im still coming.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jayfredweb said:
Robert: Do you have any pictures from last year's run? I was trying to find them, but the link to yours is dead. I found photos from 4RUNR4EVR but I couldn't get them to display correctly in this forum.

They were in the Gallery, what happened to them??
Oh well. I can either reload them, or you can check out my huge assortment of pictures from our 1st Annual Toyota120 Mojave Road trip from last September. Plus, the four or five pre-runs that I did in planning that trip.

Here's a few links of some of my/our Mojave Road trip photos from last year.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/552315492lsPFEt

http://rides.webshots.com/album/552515220fHmTXA

http://rides.webshots.com/album/552537019qhFrum

http://rides.webshots.com/album/552911984bHcMyb

http://rides.webshots.com/album/553771502BLtuuW

http://rides.webshots.com/album/552105544ZkxNul

1st Annual Toyota120 Mojave Road trip September '06

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775

This should be enough pictures of my favorite area to wet everybody's appetite!!!! :p

If not, I'll try and find Last years Easter trip on my Lap top when I get home tonight!! :D

1 - 20 of 153 Posts