TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
go ahead and call me a dumbass and i am fortunate that i didnt blow up my motor. but yeah just as the title reads, i was on the interstate last night and was doin in between 85 - 95 mph just cruisin. i went to downshift to 4th and skipped it and put it in second. next thing i know i watched the tach needle drop into more red than i could have imagined. it was only for a millisecond or so but it was enough to scare the hell out of me. i never thought i would have ever seen the needle hit 7500. i must say that 5vz did sound like a badass screamin. no check engine light or anything unusual yet. hopefully nothing major. anyways just figured i would share this delightful story...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Yeah I missed a shift in the dezert once and went from 2nd to 1st instead of 2nd to 3rd...saw the needle get about that high.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
I assume you were smart enough to quickly get out of 2nd. Shouldnt have hurt it if you did.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Yeah I missed a shift in the dezert once and went from 2nd to 1st instead of 2nd to 3rd...saw the needle get about that high.

on my truck i cant shift to first unless im going a certain speed...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Mine is the same way that's why it kind of surprised me...I was hauling ass through some whoops so I guess it just jammed it in through the gaurd.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
95 in a lifted truck???

Yeah, those tires gotta be rated for high speeds.

If you want to go fast, get a car dude, for the same of you and others on the road.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
95 in a lifted truck???

Yeah, those tires gotta be rated for high speeds.

If you want to go fast, get a car dude, for the same of you and others on the road.
Rated...no. But can they handle it? Yeah. Lavos was doing 140-150 on BFG muds.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmmm... the rev limiter should have kicked in... Probably what saved yer shiat...

Now stop hitting the crack pipe before you drive... LOL
Rev limiter will do nothing against mechanical over rev. Well, it might cut your spark, but the engine will still spin as fast as the gears make it.

This is called the "Money Shift" in the bmw world. I'm just glad these threads rarely ever come around here, not the couple threads a week on bmw forums complaining about their over revved engines.

Easy way to avoid it is to backhand the shifts, it keeps pressure towards the latter gears instead of 1st and 2nd so if you miss a shift you dont over rev. This is the way I shift 100% of the time now, in my bmw and in my tacoma, it's just second nature now. http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

edit: ehhh 4X4 beat me to it

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The w56 I use to have in my 4ruuner was a POS and would always pop out of gear and into neutral if you tried shifting quik.........I don't know how many times in the dunes I would downshift from 3rd to second while climbing a big dune and that dam thing would pop out letting my 22re rev like you are talking.........I threw that trans in the trash and now I have no more problem

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
What gears do you have in your truck? If I am hitting even 75-80, my truck is already running a little over 3000 rpms in 5th gear and no need to downshift.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts