TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't do the rock thing, this is just my hunting truck. But the principles are basicly the same, and I thought someone may want to steal an idea or two.

The 2" tubing is 3/16" wall, the 1" tubing is actually 1/4" wall, I think all the gusseting is 3/16"......the 1"X2" tubing on the ends is light wall, and the plate for the shell is all 11ga.

If I was more into rock crawling I'd probably have done the shell in 10ga, and tied it to the framework of the bumper in more places, and used something heavier than that 1"X2" tubing out at the ends. But I can assure you that its VERY stout all tied together the way it is.

I did have some trouble with the welding machine after switching bottles for a while, so you'll see some that aren't real slick, but I got it ironed out and made all of the ones that count...right!

I also bought a frame stiffener/winch mount starter kit.....I think from 4XInnovations, and used the factory bumper brackets as starting points. I bought the shackle mounts too, but I can't remember where.

Anyway here goes....

Bumper1 by D~Mo, on Flickr

bumper3 by D~Mo, on Flickr

bumper5 by D~Mo, on Flickr

bumper11 by D~Mo, on Flickr

bumper6 by D~Mo, on Flickr

I cut most of the pieces with a skill saw and abrasive blade, which sucked. I cut the holes for the receiver and the air holes with my jigsaw and it was much better. I'm not sure I wouldn't cut the whole deal with the jigsaw if I did this again.

bumper7 by D~Mo, on Flickr

I've got a good friend who works at a welding shop near the house, a 12 pack of beer got me a few minutes with their brake to bend the center section, and the top angle of the outside sections.

bumper8 by D~Mo, on Flickr

bumper9 by D~Mo, on Flickr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn, those pics are big!

I'll get the rest up in a few minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
106 Posts
gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Lookin good!

What is that "thing" on the last pic tho, that you have inserted into the front receiver hitch...?

Also, you gonna leave it red? We painted mine with some very light bedliner stuff (see here) and I really like the way it turned out. It's got a nice textured feel to it, but on the same token it's not so rough that you'll rip clothes just by being near it. IMHO the bumper would look much better black too ;).

Nicely done tho! I kinda wish I had taken pics of my bumper being built. Oh well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like the way it turned out. Im and currently saving up metal to do the same thing. I think using the factory bumper bracket was a great idea i will now use that idea. and 11ga is very strong stuff i agree i dont think you need the extra weight and cost of 10ga. im assumeing the shackles are welded to the 2"tubing. Good Job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lookin good!

What is that "thing" on the last pic tho, that you have inserted into the front receiver hitch...?

Also, you gonna leave it red? We painted mine with some very light bedliner stuff (see here) and I really like the way it turned out. It's got a nice textured feel to it, but on the same token it's not so rough that you'll rip clothes just by being near it. IMHO the bumper would look much better black too ;).

Nicely done tho! I kinda wish I had taken pics of my bumper being built. Oh well.
That thing is a seeder/spreader/wildlife feeder.

It's just primed for now because I can't decide if I want to add a bull bar, or brush guard up around the grill/headlights. After I make up my mind on that I think I'll use the roll on Herculiner. I'm told if you get the steel and the Herculiner nice an warm, almost hot....that it'll go on relatively smooth.

I really like the way it turned out. Im and currently saving up metal to do the same thing. I think using the factory bumper bracket was a great idea i will now use that idea. and 11ga is very strong stuff i agree i dont think you need the extra weight and cost of 10ga. im assumeing the shackles are welded to the 2"tubing. Good Job.
The shackles are welded to the 2" tubing almost at the same point as the bumper bracket is welded to the back of it. I beveled the edges of them before welding also, and burned them in HOT. Then they are welded to the 11ga over that.

I've since put some 2" round, flush mount, turn signals in the bumper also (in case I ever decide to inspect it again), and I hate them. Maybe they'll look better when the bumper is black.

Oh, and I put the skid plate back on too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's just primed for now because I can't decide if I want to add a bull bar, or brush guard up around the grill/headlights. After I make up my mind on that I think I'll use the roll on Herculiner. I'm told if you get the steel and the Herculiner nice an warm, almost hot....that it'll go on relatively smooth.

I've since put some 2" round, flush mount, turn signals in the bumper also (in case I ever decide to inspect it again), and I hate them. Maybe they'll look better when the bumper is black.

Oh, and I put the skid plate back on too.
:cool:
Can't wait to see it complete!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts