TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well will a stock TRD V6 Prerunner with all terrains hold up in sand? I've got friends that are going to Glamis and they want me to come and bring my truck, but I'm not sure about the sand. Half of the people going have 4WD and the others are 2WD but they have long travel and 33. Will my truck be ok if i air down, or should I park it and ride with someone else?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I left another thread about what to do in sand a half an hour ago . Look it up. If you have a locker, go for it. More throttle = less stuck. Being WRONG after more throttle =WAAY more stuck!!! Air down to 15lb, and test it. KEEP your wheels straight. Don't stop hard into the sand, ESPECIALLY with 2wd. Slow, then coast to a stop.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I dont know, but it seems like if you turn a little too sharp for your speed the front tires might dig into the sand.

Anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You didn't catch the jist of my last post, Kimosabe??? If wheels don't spin, they plow. If wheels are TURNED, and they don't spin, they become anchors. BEFORE YOU STOP: Point the wheels straight. Slow to almost zero; you don't need to suck ass doing this, you can even learn to look cool doing it. Just let the truck come up onto the top of the sand, and let it stop itself. You will be so much happier. This does not work with another truck 10ft in front of you......You did bring a shovel, didn't you?!?!? As for turning at speed, 3 things help. POWER, momentum, and POWER. So, spin that little squirrel, andthrow as much rice down her throat as she can swallow. 'Cause you are only an inch of sand from being stuck!!!! :xdevil:

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
GreenTaco said:
How well will a stock TRD V6 Prerunner with all terrains hold up in sand? I've got friends that are going to Glamis and they want me to come and bring my truck, but I'm not sure about the sand. Half of the people going have 4WD and the others are 2WD but they have long travel and 33. Will my truck be ok if i air down, or should I park it and ride with someone else?

You will get stuck, but you will get more skillfull at getting unstuck and not getting stuck. Have fun and enjoy yourself, you and the prerunner were invited so make the best of the experience. You have a locker so it will be even more fun.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
GreenTaco said:
Glamis sand isnt like any other sand, its harder to drive in trust me i did it two wheel drive..

The first advantage you have is soft tires that have no real tread, you wont dig in as much, air down to around 12-10 PSI in all 4 tires, maybe even lower you will no when you start out, always stop pointing down hill but never into a bowl LOL... also dont use a locker, it wont help, it actually makes everything worse... and remember if you cant make it up the hill and you are going slow DO NOT turn into the hill, you will roll... Just stop and back down and try again... These are words of advise from someone who has been there done all that (minus the roll, i got to roll one back over from that). i drive in the desert and in sand quiet often and never have problems... being two wheel drive isnt a burden, it just will make you become a more skilled driver than the guy with 4wd.

The only disadvantage you truely have is your wheel travel on stock suspension.. dont go too fast! and watch out sand highway can be rough (but you still can drive it)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
rojodiablo said:
I left another thread about what to do in sand a half an hour ago . Look it up. If you have a locker, go for it. More throttle = less stuck. Being WRONG after more throttle =WAAY more stuck!!! Air down to 15lb, and test it. KEEP your wheels straight. Don't stop hard into the sand, ESPECIALLY with 2wd. Slow, then coast to a stop.
15lbs is too high, and the locker is pointless in the sand... and yes i know what im talking about.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I second the notion of 10lbs or less air pressure leave the front tires at full pressure so they act as cutting wheels so to speak wide contact patch in the back and skinny up front it works for the sand rails so why not for a truck. And even if you do get stuck I am sure there are more then enough people out there who can help yank you out real quick.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
obex26 said:
I second the notion of 10lbs or less air pressure leave the front tires at full pressure so they act as cutting wheels so to speak wide contact patch in the back and skinny up front it works for the sand rails so why not for a truck. And even if you do get stuck I am sure there are more then enough people out there who can help yank you out real quick.
Thats where you are wrong, never leave the front full, they dont act like cutting wheels they just dig in more, even in two wheel drive, you want the whole truck to float.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
obex26 said:
works for sand rails because they dont have a 800lb motor up front. they have the wieght over the rear tires where its needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just spent a week there at thanksgiving. the sand was alittle wet at the first of the week, then slowly dried - up. i ran 8psi in the front and 7psi in the rear. if the sand was any dryer i would of went alittle lower. i run 33x12.50x15 bfg muds.the ass end of our trucks are so lite, you will always need to have lower pressure in the rear, then in the front. mines a 4 wheel drive, but i spent most of the time in 2 wheel drive. the only time it was in 4 wheel drive was when we would follow the long travel rails from olds to gecko drags threw the big dunes. nothing is more fun then have sand rails pull to the side to let a couple trucks pass them by. i spend alot of time in the sand and have never had a problem with the tires at that pressure. running the bowls, sliding the sideways, etc. when taking off in 2 wheel drive, i noticed that if you "feather" the gas alittle to get up into the sand this helps out alot. last, but not least - carry a tow strap, and have fun!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
DesertTRD said:
works for sand rails because they dont have a 800lb motor up front. they have the wieght over the rear tires where its needed.

I didn't know the 3.4 wieghed 800 lbs thanks for the tip lol j/k

I did take the engine placement into consideration. I guess I have just been lucky so far then.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Mcadwell said:
your funny for someone who will never get help from me again.. how many times exactly did you attempt that hill or let alone how many times did you hit it going as fast as i was? Hmm what 0??? ive been in more sand than you have had in your ass playing wth your boyfriend in jtree... Dont test me.

Also at the same time, why didnt you show him from the beginning, i wnst going 2 mph and i wasnt aired down... but hey...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
don't hate biatch!!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts