TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, i have an 89 4runner that im selling to a good friend of mine this week. I want to buy a 2001-2004 Tacoma crew cab. With the 2wd being much cheaper and easier to obtain i was looking at going that route, but is it a better route to take? I want to do links/coilovers and one tons.I already have my 1ton axles for the swap- the front Dana 60 is a passenger drop- and the rear is a 14 bolt.

My questions are:
Will the 2wd trucks computer work like it should when i swap a 4x4 tranny into it?
Are there any other problems im going to run into?

I figure someone on here has done this before or will know.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
871 Posts
The auto trans doesn't really care too much about the transfer case. You just make sure the truck you buy has a speed sensor on the transmission output shaft. I think in 2004 they got rid of that sensor since all the 2004 tacos had abs, so they just used the ABS speed sensors, which you won't have once you swap the axles.

Pretty sure you should be good to just buy a transfer case and inchworm? advanced adapters? maybe makes the 2-4wd adapter. Or just get a used complete auto trans with the transfer.

Or go big with an atlas...

Wait, the tacomas are drivers drop transfer case, so you need to figure that out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes it's easy to get a 2wd and swap in everything especially because you wouldn't be able to use any or the taco's 4wd parts unless you swapped your front passenger side drop D60.
I'm thinking of doing this with a 4th gen 4Runner. So far I found you can swap in an FJ transfer case for around $350 i haven't looked into if that will work with a 2wd transmission but I'm also looking at going manual transmission. The only issue for you would be the FJ case is driver drop. So you might have better luck with adding an Atlas as you can get them with either side drop.
Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts