TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing my dads 94 4Runner to use as a DD, and awhile back it overheated and my father just parked it. I've looked at the FSM and it looks like its a great time to go ahead and take a look at the timing belt. What other basic maintanace items should I go ahead and take care of while im in there? Of course it a V6 3.slow 2wd with 220k.

It ran good minus the auto, and a whine coming from the front, which I think is the steering pump or some bearing somewhere about to die

thanks for any help

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Water pump and thermostat, belts and hoses. You don't HAVE to pull the radiator, but I highly recommend it. I did not need the special tool for the tensioner on mine - the bolt is long enough to get started before applying the tension.

·
Registered
300 Posts
also check to make sure that the timing is set to 10*, change out the spark plugs, oil and filter. Also wouldn't hurt to flush the tranny

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im sure that oil has been in there over a year now but it only had like 2k since it was changed. I flushed the tranny not to long ago and my even swap in a r150 5spd I have in my garage later down the road and SAS it.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
91toyota4x4 said:
If it had overheating problems I would watch the headgasket as those are very sensative :xcrybaby:
Yeah I thought of that but it overheated on me and I shut it off as soon as I noticed it getting too hot. I checked the oil to see if any water got in there and rad fluid but both looked good. And didnt see any white smoke from the exhaust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Ricks72
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing