TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have had intermittent power issues on my OBD1 3.0. Idles ok but sometimes when I am at partial throttle I can feel the engine dragging, so I floor it and it revs but acceleration is half of what it should be. then next thing you know it feels fine. I will gain and loose power multiple times through a single drive without turning it off and on. About 25,000 miles ago the head was pulled and re-done due to a burned exhaust valve but it didn't cure the intermittent power loss issue. O2 sensor and fuel filter replaced not long ago using OEM parts, they didn't help. I am now guessing the cat may be clogged, would that make sense? I never replaced the catalytic converter and I've had the truck since 80,000 miles, now have 253,000. I am set to do a 3.4 swap shortly so I don't want to put any more money into the 3.0. I also don't want to needlessly buy an expensive new cat. I was thinking about putting in a test pipe for a while and see what happens. Thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For years I have had intermittent power issues on my OBD1 3.0. Idles ok but sometimes when I am at partial throttle I can feel the engine dragging, so I floor it and it revs but acceleration is half of what it should be. then next thing you know it feels fine. I will gain and loose power multiple times through a single drive without turning it off and on. About 25,000 miles ago the head was pulled and re-done due to a burned exhaust valve but it didn't cure the intermittent power loss issue. O2 sensor and fuel filter replaced not long ago using OEM parts, they didn't help. I am now guessing the cat may be clogged, would that make sense? I never replaced the catalytic converter and I've had the truck since 80,000 miles, now have 253,000. I am set to do a 3.4 swap shortly so I don't want to put any more money into the 3.0. I also don't want to needlessly buy an expensive new cat. I was thinking about putting in a test pipe for a while and see what happens. Thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.
I experienced the same thing again today and immediately took a heat gun to the exhaust. It read 600 degrees immediately before the cat and 500 degrees immediately after the cat. I have read that significant temperature difference between the two ends of the catalytic converter can be signs of a clogged cat, but is this significant enough of a temperature difference?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,433 Posts
Those temps seem normal. I'm not well versed on the 3.0 engines, but what you describe is typical of a vacuum leak. Check for cracked hoses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those temps seem normal. I'm not well versed on the 3.0 engines, but what you describe is typical of a vacuum leak. Check for cracked hoses.
Thanks for the info. I replaced the two major hoses going into the resonator box as well as the main intake hose and vent hose for the valve cover. I would then have to guess it's from one of the smaller hoses.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The 3.0 is secret code for 3.0 miles of vacuum hose.

I fixed my intermittent (then no power) issue by replacing with a 3RZ 😁. Same HP, 3 FT lbs less torque, much better mileage, OBD II and reliability. It was a lot more work than I was prepared for, but worth it once finished!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts