TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really as shitty as people make it out to be? I've only driven Tacoma's with the 3.4L, 2.7L, and 4.0L.

But due to wanting a cheap pickup, I'm looking to the pre-Tacoma Toyota Pickups. All that seem to be for sale around me are the 3.0's.

I understand that the head gaskets are known to fail. I'm going to go look at a 94' pickup tomorrow with 235k miles on it, what do I need to look for as far as problems?

Is there any dead give aways that the head gaskets have already been replaced?

·
Registered
422 Posts
They're not horrible motors, they just aren't as good as a 3rz / 5vz / 2uz

Standard problems are headgaskets and burnt #6 exhaust valves. I had no problem with either on my 3vz, it was reliable as can be, just not quick. (then i swapped to a s/c'd 5vz).

Stock truck with manual trans will move around alright, auto's really hold it back...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Check for oil leaks on pass side head and also check cam seals for leaking. The valve covers also can crack from heat,not always heads. Stick with a manual trans and you will be happier than an auto

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I happen to buy a 3vze and it blows a HG, whats a ball park price for water pump, timing belt, and HG replacement if I don't do it myself??

1500?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I would say plan for that. If it's less you'll be happy. I think my timing belt, water pump was $1200.00 on a 5vz.

I'll do it myself next time.:eek:

·
Registered
422 Posts
On my 5vz, TB, WP and all the other accessories (thermostat, belts, bearings, idlers, tensioner, etc), buying the parts and giving them to my mech totaled me about 8-900.
headgaskets would likely add a G to that amount, if not more...
I drove my 3vz until i had all the parts ready for a 5vz swap :D (about 40,000 miles above the recommended timing belt change)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 3vz has 312,000 original miles on it. It had the head gasket recall done, and has always had its temp carefully monitored. Always serviced by the book. Regular maintenance and adult driving is key lol.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya the two I looked at yesterday were rust bucket clunkers. Both had plenty of oil/dirt build up around the heads...so I take that as leakage. I passed.

I might go look at a 92 with 117k miles on it. Its super clean, but it is an automatic...which is a bummer. But if the price is right, i'll take it. At least it has manual hubs..

Honestly I was surprised by how much power the 3.0L had after all the shit talked about it. It has way more power than my 09' 2.7L....which I got by with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts