TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone makes a cam upgrade for the 3.4...cant find anything online and tried the search and came up with nothing helpful. I know that there are alot of different cams for the 22r, but I know thats a completely different deal. Already have the supercharger and the 7th injector system, and couldnt be happier with it, but I still want some more torque especially in that lagging first part of 3rd gear. Oh and I already have 5.13s and a spool in the rear end. Thanks.

-Ryan

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thats funny, you cant find those cams on the LCE page by clicking around the camshaft section...

800 bucks would be worth it if we're talking an extra 30-40 HP...but it's not like I have that kind of $$ anyway.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Bonzen said:
Wondering if anyone makes a cam upgrade for the 3.4...cant find anything online and tried the search and came up with nothing helpful. I know that there are alot of different cams for the 22r, but I know thats a completely different deal. Already have the supercharger and the 7th injector system, and couldnt be happier with it, but I still want some more torque especially in that lagging first part of 3rd gear. Oh and I already have 5.13s and a spool in the rear end. Thanks.

-Ryan
My father in law builds the Nascar Tundra motors for TRD, used to make the Toyota Indy motors. PM me and I'll get you some info from the guys he works with. Seems they have stuff the rest of us don't usually get our hands on..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
LCE is about the only company that I know of..... There is a guy on custom taco's that either does or can have your cams reground for you, for like $200 or so?? At least that's what he does the 3RZ cams for.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
rojodiablo said:
My father in law builds the Nascar Tundra motors for TRD, used to make the Toyota Indy motors. PM me and I'll get you some info from the guys he works with. Seems they have stuff the rest of us don't usually get our hands on..... :rolleyes:

Damn it Paul...... You've been keeping this from me?!?! That's gotta be a pretty sweet ass job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PM sent

rojodiablo said:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Bonzen said:
Thats funny, you cant find those cams on the LCE page by clicking around the camshaft section...

800 bucks would be worth it if we're talking an extra 30-40 HP.
LCEngineering home page > Online Catalog > Camshafts/Gears > Camshafts > Page 3

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If you already have an SC then you probably don't want a cam. Typically a cam increases valve duration and or overlap in the attempt to improve breathing, i.e. VE at higher RPMs. With the SC or other forced induction for that matter you typically want a very mild to stock cam. All you will achieve with a wild cam and forced induction is blow through and loss of economy with little to no gain in power while your low RPM and idle goes to total shit. In this case 2+2 does not equal 4, it would more likely equal 1.
Supercharged! by Corky Bell is a really good book about supercharging and at $23 it would be money very well spent before you go buying more parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-Testing-Installation-Supercharger-Systems/dp/0837601681/sr=8-1/qid=1164651588/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5351020-8564957?ie=UTF8&s=books

·
Registered
427 Posts
any know of a stock tacoma getting those lc engineering cams dyno?would it be worth buying them for my complete stock tacoma?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It would help the high end some. You'd still pay the penalty at the bottom end and at the gas pump. There was an outfit up in Washington or something that I thought did cams for the 3.4 but that was long ago. Check Gadgets site if he still has it up. It was mentioned early on. They were reprogramming ECUs and such.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Bonzen said:
Ryan, I saw some wild stuff today. The guys who work that area are going to see what they can do as far as info. Seems they go the more normal route of outsourcing to other shops. That is good, as that means you don't need the secret handshake to get through the door. My FAL is going to hopefully get some directions to head toward. I'll check in in a day or 3. Paul. Anyone have $190,000 I can borrow so I can get a 1200hp v6 that can bolt into a tacoma??? And, NO. No pictures. I was checked. I had to sign a waiver. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like a rip. I was at Bandimere a couple of summers ago. A couple of guys were running a 1100 horse twin turbo 4 cylinder. They were happy to talk tech and let you take pic's. I doubt they had $190,000 in it and I it ran something like a 7 second quarter later that day...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think with 1200 HP I would be happy :D

BTW, I successfully wasted my 2nd R150 5 speed tranny last weekend in Glamis!

Thanks for the update Paul.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bein mean to it lol...fast shifts while pegging off the rev limiter, not to mention being floored through huge whoops over and over again. It's not blown up, just wont go into the gears easy, probbaly bent a shifter fork or something. it has been acting up for a while, so it was only a matter of time. To bad Toyota doesnt make something similar to like a T5 or T6 manual...something more race inspired. It's alright, I have a spare!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts