TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm putting together my 3.4 after a head gasket job.

Today I went to turn the crank to double check the timing using a 19mm socket on the crank bolt. When I turned the ratchet, the bolt turned maybe 1/20th of a turn before the pulley (and crank) started to turn. When I turned it back counterclockwise, it did the same thing.

I decided to pull the pulley off and see what was up. I hit the bolt with an impact gun, and the bolt will not come out.

After using the impact gun on it, the bolt now turns with the pulley - no more 1/20th turn lag. However, the crank pulley has about 1mm of play before it engages. The pulley has no wobble front to back, only a slight bit of rotational play if you turn it. Maybe the key is worn, or more likely the slot on the pulley is slightly worn.

So would you drive it like this?

If not, how would you get the bolt loose if it doesn't come out with a big impact gun? It actually doesn't come out with the impact gun it went in with (215 ft-lbs), or with an even bigger one. Will the starter bump work better than a really big impact gun? Should I wail on it with a breaker bar? If so, how do I hold the crank still (auto trans)?

If the bolt breaks, how hard is the material to drill out?

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
You definitely want to fix that. If the key is worn and the pulley eventually eats up the key slot or the end of the crank, you are looking at buying a new crankshaft.

The starter bump trick is probably your best bet. Otherwise you'll need to stick something in the flexplate to keep it from rotating while you wrench on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks (I think?) for the solid advice.

I always like to know the consequences before I dive in.

Anybody drilled one of these bolts out?

How bad was it?

I'm to the point with this vehicle where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Want to prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Should I wail on it with a breaker bar? If so, how do I hold the crank still (auto trans)?
The pulley should have two holes, One on either side of the bolt. I took a piece of flat stock, maybe 3/16x3", at one end, drilled one hole big enough for a socket to fit through and two to put a bolt through and into the holes in the pulley. Rest that against the frame, and you can breaker bar the bolt. I don't have a picture, but some of the timing belt write-ups should.

As you are, I would be cautious since it didn't come out with the impact.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I feel kinda like an idiot, but at least the bolt is out.

My mentor/buddy was in the shop today between jobs and tried the big impact gun on it again just for the hell of it. Realized that the gun wasn't putting out like it should, and that he had turned the compressor off a few days back. Turned the compressor on, and the bolt came right out. Threads are slightly messed up.

New pulley, bolt, key, and a tap are ordered.

Maybe I'll actually get to drive this truck some day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts