TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is the deal. Our "board phantom" sent me a pm suggesting this set up opposed doing a 3 link in the rear. I have done some research and this post is to further that research.

so what are your opinions, pro & cons etc.

For the price I am loving this idea compared to doing a link set up.

Plus there will be less clearence issues since I won't have the linkages running near to the gas tank etc.

Personally…the jury is still out so sway me in either direction.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Buggy springs? I saw a 4Runner with that setup. If flexed really well, but the owner said it handled like crap on the road, i.e. lots of body roll. Not for a rig that spends a lot of time on the highway.

If you added a panhard bar it might be better

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those are the kind of comments I am looking for.

I thought the same thing, that it would suffer on the road. I am also thinking maybe if you used a "captured mount" that would bind the spring to the frame while on the road, it would also help, in conjunction with either a panhard bar or a removable sway bar. For the captured mount and sway bar, they could be easily removed while you are airing down.

Oh, and the set up I am discussing is not quite a buggy spring set up, I don't thing. Here is a photo I found while doing my searching http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/3_4ellip/Dcp00536.jpg Is that considered a buggy spring set up?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't like them personally. Sure they flex but they can unload on the road (heavy braking/swerving to avooid something) and on the trail, when the weight shifts. Sure they flex great but they don't seem worth it to me. Plus they hop like a mofo on climbs from what I understand. A traction bar would cure this though.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PappaF2 said:
…Sure they flex but they can unload on the road (heavy braking/swerving to avooid something) and on the trail, when the weight shifts. Sure they flex great but they don't seem worth it to me.
Look at my ideas above on a solution to prevent them from unloading while on the road. do you think that with them in place it would be better?
PappaF2 said:
Plus they hop like a mofo on climbs from what I understand. A traction bar would cure this though.
I was considering a tract bar anyway for my wheel hop I get from the chevys I have on there now. So I guess that is a definite if I decide this route.

but it is also a mark on the side of a 3 link as it would solve some of the wheel hop I get and yet still be stable on the road. correct?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Bear said:
those are the kind of comments I am looking for.

I thought the same thing, that it would suffer on the road. I am also thinking maybe if you used a "captured mount" that would bind the spring to the frame while on the road, it would also help, in conjunction with either a panhard bar or a removable sway bar. For the captured mount and sway bar, they could be easily removed while you are airing down.

Oh, and the set up I am discussing is not quite a buggy spring set up, I don't thing. Here is a photo I found while doing my searching http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/3_4ellip/Dcp00536.jpg Is that considered a buggy spring set up?
That's a buggy spring.

Locking the spring to the frame while on the road is a good idea, though.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I saw a picture of a quarter ellip setup flexed out (w/out shocks mind you) and it was like it had no bottom.
If I ever do anything different with my rear I think I will go that route- but definately with traction bar and sway bar for the road.
Should add though that I haven't actually seen one work though first hand- on or off road.

As far as links go though, I would have thought a triangulated four link would be alot better for the rear with all the room you have under there (relative to the front).

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. I have heard both terms but thought a buggy spring was a full arch, not one cut off as I illustrated.

Locking the spring to the frame would be fairly easy I would think. weld two pieces of plate on the outside of the frame rail where the spring sits. Take a trailer hitch pin and cotter and run it through the two plates under the spring yet tight to the frame.

It wouldn't be any noiser than what my truck is now anyway.

I am guessing though you would have continuelly check the tork on the ubolts holding the spring to the frame, because if they loosened up on you, on the trail when the spring unloaded, it would have a difficult time seating back into the bracket if it was loose.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the problem I see with doing a four link under the rear is the gas tank, it gets in the way from what I understand and needs to be relocated (If I am wrong please, please correct me)

the ones I have seen have the upper links running to the frame rails which is why the tank gets in the way, could you reverse that where the upper links go to the center and the bottom links go to the frame? I would think that set up would cost you some ground clearence, as the angle from the bottom would be shallower than if you were to go to the center and was able to make it shorter.

Again I am still learning the set ups of a link suspension.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Bear said:
Okay, here is the deal. Our "board phantom" sent me a pm suggesting this set up opposed doing a 3 link in the rear. I have done some research and this post is to further that research.

so what are your opinions, pro & cons etc.

For the price I am loving this idea compared to doing a link set up.

Plus there will be less clearence issues since I won't have the linkages running near to the gas tank etc.

Personally…the jury is still out so sway me in either direction.
go ahead and do it. jsut increase your life insurance for Pam!!!!! she will appreaticate it later!!!!!

yea, ride like ass!!! flex well, BTW other then cost flex is only advantage.
I wheel with a jeep that has 1/4 ellic this rig on one trail ended up floped about 1/2 the time.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on the subject!

and you replied exactly like I thought you would.LOL

I need to do something for the rear. either leave the set up as is just move it back, do a 3 or 4 link or do this idea. So far I have no idea which way to lean.

I think I could combat some of the ill-effects of the elliptical set up, but then again I am thinking a link set up although more expensive would be better.

I am not liking what I am finding out about the added wheel hop it produces. Was that the reason for the continued flopping of the jeep you ride with?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
my buddy had a jeep set-up this way - broke springs all the time and like the rest said not good for the street. Why not build a tank and put it behind the axle and then u can 4-link, that's what I'm planning.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats a possibilty, I am also looking at cost. But things are definitely leaning away from doing the 3/4 eliptical.

which means (judging from past history) I have no idea what I will do yet! LOL

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I had to reply like that!!!! after discussing it over with Pam. We diceded its the only way to deal with someone like you!!!!!! :lmao: sorry had to say that!!!

all the flops I saw from the start, all looked like from unloading and throwing it over. BTW, he trailers the jeep.
only real disadvantage Isee with tank behind axle is: typically when that much weight behind rear axle causes (I think) its oversteer. I could remember that backasswards!!! other is how handleing charactics will change from full tank to empty tank. If I wer rlooking at doing a link, I'd look at putting the tank behind cab. might have to raise it some depending on how your links are running.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know you would have had to call her…she wouldn't be able to understand you otherwise with your spelling and typing. :rofl:

So now you are going to bring up that heated debate on gas tank location over here as well huh?

I would like to try and keep it out of the bed if at all possible…I already have a bunch of junk mounted in it. and I still need more room so I can mount the spare in the bed! 37"s don't like to fit under the bed that is for sure! Not to mention adding a fuel cell in the bed is adding to the expense list of the project

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bear said:
Look at my ideas above on a solution to prevent them from unloading while on the road. do you think that with them in place it would be better?

I was considering a tract bar anyway for my wheel hop I get from the chevys I have on there now. So I guess that is a definite if I decide this route.

but it is also a mark on the side of a 3 link as it would solve some of the wheel hop I get and yet still be stable on the road. correct?
ya you can do that idea to stop it from unloading on the street but when you take it off road it can still unload while on the trail.
I just think the buggy spring / 3/4 elliptical causes more problems than it solves. Personally I would either link it or stick with convetional leafs. :2cents:

oh if you do link it you could use a 3 link plus panhard to avoid the gas tank.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got any samples of how to set up the three link? I am thinking two bottom links with one top link and then the panhard bar to the passengers side of the pumpkin.

Is that the standard way of setting them up?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bear said:
Got any samples of how to set up the three link? I am thinking two bottom links with one top link and then the panhard bar to the passengers side of the pumpkin.

Is that the standard way of setting them up?
ya thats how i'd set it up. I'm looking for some pics now

1 - 20 of 110 Posts