TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some mudding this past weekend, when I was done and headed home I got about half-way back and looked down to see my coolant temp was running way too high and I was going to overheat soon if I didn't stop.. so I stoped and let her rest for about 20 minutes and then made it the rest of way with no problems. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time but the engine is making some horrific noise, it sounds like marbles or rocks in a hampster wheel or something. I cleaned up the enigne pretty good but no luck... I havn't had any more cooling problems but I am starting to get anonyed and worried by this noise. I've got 60k miles on the truck, luckily I have 100k mile powertrain warrenty so I'm going to finish cleaning it up tonight/tomorrow and take it in this weekend. Before I go to all that trouble has anyone else ever experienced this type of problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Was the temp. gauge pegged? Did you check the coolant after it cooled down? What was the level? Are you getting a white vapor out of the tailpipe at idle? Is the pulley on the water pump loose? Give it a firm shake.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
NWDave said:
Did some mudding this past weekend, when I was done and headed home I got about half-way back and looked down to see my coolant temp was running way too high and I was going to overheat soon if I didn't stop.. so I stoped and let her rest for about 20 minutes and then made it the rest of way with no problems. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time but the engine is making some horrific noise, it sounds like marbles or rocks in a hampster wheel or something. I cleaned up the enigne pretty good but no luck... I havn't had any more cooling problems but I am starting to get anonyed and worried by this noise. I've got 60k miles on the truck, luckily I have 100k mile powertrain warrenty so I'm going to finish cleaning it up tonight/tomorrow and take it in this weekend. Before I go to all that trouble has anyone else ever experienced this type of problem? Thanks.
Check your radiator- I would guess that you have mub packed into the surface/fins- which will affect cooling abilities- Take off the fan shround and give both sides of the radiator a thorough cleaning

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twblanset said:
Was the temp. gauge pegged? Did you check the coolant after it cooled down? What was the level? Are you getting a white vapor out of the tailpipe at idle? Is the pulley on the water pump loose? Give it a firm shake.
I thought a BHG too at first, but the coolant level was fine. And I did wash all the mud out of the radiator fins. My only other guess is a pulley too.. where is the water pulley at? I looked under the alternator and didn't see one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grillmasterp said:
Check your radiator- I would guess that you have mub packed into the surface/fins- which will affect cooling abilities- Take off the fan shround and give both sides of the radiator a thorough cleaning
Been done, no problems with it running hot now, just the damned noise.

·
Registered
731 Posts
NWDave said:
Been done, no problems with it running hot now, just the damned noise.
First, try resetting your ECU. It sounds like the temp sending unit is sending wrong signals to the ECU causing the ECU to lean out the fuel mixture. The noise you hear is probably detonation. Also make sure your MAF sensor is clean along with your air filter.

Dave

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Marbles in a hamster wheel:

Well if you have a leaft in you heating cooling fan it'll make a damn annoying noise. Maybe you manages to get something in it. Have the ac/heater on? If you didn't have it on it shouldn't do it though. Have a leaft flotin around in mine. I was trippin then mentioned it to my dad and he explained it.

Mud is fun, but I'm not a big fan of it after it ate my rear drum pads from getting packed. Seems like it just messes shit up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TRDOLMAN said:
First, try resetting your ECU. It sounds like the temp sending unit is sending wrong signals to the ECU causing the ECU to lean out the fuel mixture. The noise you hear is probably detonation. Also make sure your MAF sensor is clean along with your air filter.

Dave
I'll give it a try... where is the waterpump pully? is it the lowest one?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The most common cause of noise like a squeel or a bad bearing after wheeling is mud that has gotten into the A/C idler pulley. This is very common.

You are not going to get a hold of the water pump pulley. It burried deep in the timing cover and it is driven by the timing belt.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I have about 25k on my truck and just had the fan clutch replaced after it started making wierd grinding/sqealing sounds right after an expedition into the mud...truck runs quiet and cooler now....could this be the same problem you are having?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the imput guys, I'll pull the belt off the AC condenser and see if that helps.. if not where is the fan clutch located? is it easy to replace?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it to the dealership last night, they seemed to think it was the power steering pump.. we'll see what they say today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Power steering pump, they wanted to put a new one on and charge me 380 just for the pump.. so I just baught a gasket kit and will rebuild it today.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
NWDave said:
Thanks for the imput guys, I'll pull the belt off the AC condenser and see if that helps.. if not where is the fan clutch located? is it easy to replace?
The fan clutch is bolted to the fan blade...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
NWDave said:
Power steering pump, they wanted to put a new one on and charge me 380 just for the pump.. so I just baught a gasket kit and will rebuild it today.
Bleed the hell out of it after. I rebuilt mine, bled it a half dozen times, and the shaft seized 50 miles later. Not sure if it was me or the pump but the stealer suggested it was because of air in the system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bb609 said:
Bleed the hell out of it after. I rebuilt mine, bled it a half dozen times, and the shaft seized 50 miles later. Not sure if it was me or the pump but the stealer suggested it was because of air in the system.
damn, thanks for the headsup.. how the hell do I bleed the power steering system?

Picked up a 15 gallon compressor and some new tools :D as well to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
NWDave said:
damn, thanks for the headsup.. how the hell do I bleed the power steering system?

Picked up a 15 gallon compressor and some new tools :D as well to get the job done.
First, jack up the front end and then just turn the wheels lock to lock ("several" times according to the FSM) and hold it for a few seconds at lock, first without the engine running, and then again with it running. As I say, I'm a bit paranoid so I did it about a dozen times each.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for you help. I took the belt off the power steering pump yesterday to get started, but I started it up just to make sure.. the sound was still there, so I took it back to the dealership and the mechanic was nice enough to apologise for the mistake. It turned out to be the idler pully, they gave me a free oil change and free labor to put the new one on and new belts on. Cavender Toyota in SA gets a big :xrocker: My thanks to Robert and Scotty!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know i dug this post out of the ground but.......

The sound u were hearing, was it loud in the truck also? louder at an idle?

Mine has been making kinda the same sound, more like an aluminum gurgle sound. I pretty much narrowed it down to be a bad bearing in one of the pullys. I had replace the idler pulley last time i went muddin. DId it again and now its making noise again. But it sounds diffrent this time, it sounds more "inside" the motor like a winding aluminum gurlge. I havent checked any of the pullys yet. Im hoping its not the tensinor pully inside the timing belt cover.

But if it were a bad bearing on one of the pullys that the TB gouse around, wouldent the truck be loosing power? or idling funny? The motor runs great its just that damn sound. Im getting kinda scared to drive it.

Any ideas on this? anyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts