TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just over 300k on my 98 3.4 taco and have been noticing my coolant reservoir needing to be refilled about every three months. I thought it might be a freeze plug leaking or worse a HG failure because I could not find any signs of leaking coolant. I just kept topping it off and drove it as it ran fine. Turns out my coolant temp sensor had a slow leak for awhile that was not evident up until recently when it started coming out more rapidly. I was actually delighted to finally see the leak and it was an easy fix. It was the original temp sensor. Motor still runs smooth as silk and does not burn any oil. Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Gauge Mode of transport

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on passing 300K! And congrats on tracking down that leak! I miss my 3.4 4Runner. Mine got to 288K and have no doubt she would have easily exceeded 300K, but she was rear-ended by someone not paying attention to the road. Actually I was keeping an eye on the odometer and was especially bummed because my wife had taken the Toyota "Oh What A Feeling!!!" picture of me jumping for joy at 100K and 200K. I was eagerly anticipating the 300K picture... Got a 4.0 4Runner now and fingers crossed, I'll get the same reliability out of this one too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m just over 300k on my 98 3.4 taco and have been noticing my coolant reservoir needing to be refilled about every three months. I thought it might be a freeze plug leaking or worse a HG failure because I could not find any signs of leaking coolant. I just kept topping it off and drove it as it ran fine. Turns out my coolant temp sensor had a slow leak for awhile that was not evident up until recently when it started coming out more rapidly. I was actually delighted to finally see the leak and it was an easy fix. It was the original temp sensor. Motor still runs smooth as silk and does not burn any oil. View attachment 61900
I have a 2000 3.4. I had a small coolant leak in the Vee of the engine. There is a metal water line running from heater core valve to top of water pump. There is a bracket welded to the line thats bolts to the engine block. There was a pinhole at the edge of that weld. You could actually see water lines inside the vee from a pool forming and drying up. If that happes, you might be able to see water running from the vee on the front of the engine by the water pump, or the rear of the engine on the top by the vee. Kind of a big job to replace that hardline. If anyone has to, thats the time to clean injectors, thottle body, and air intake plenum, along with new gaskets and do valve cover gaskets while your there, and some factory coolant hoses at the firewall. I did my timing belt and water pump also since i had the system all opened up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts