TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Toyota tacoma with 3.4 TRD supercharged engine that idles at 1200 rmps when warmed up and when shifted into neutral while driving, it jumps up to 2000 rpms. I did some research and people are saying it is supposed to be idleing aroung 600-700 rpms. I think it has to do something with IAC valve but Im not sure. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Your idle is way high, I got a similar but opposite problem. A 3.4 (no supercharger) that idles under 600 and has a rough idle, above 600 rpms its just fine. My problem seems to be it need to raise the idle, I've been reading on it and most idle problems (low/high) are caused by IAC. I should remove mine and clean, some people fix the problem by cleaning it, but some cases it gets worse (put it wrong, recalibrate, bad gasket).

have you tried to reset the idle, I cant remember 100% how I did it but it helped, I can look for it if you need it/wanna try it.

Something about disconnect battery until computer is cleared (30 minutes?) , start one minute, turn on ac one minute, put in gear, I think ac off once in gear. That resets idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried doing that reset. It still has the same idle but I'll see if it fully resets after I drive a few miles. The engine does feel better thou.

·
Registered
19 Posts
new throttle postion sensor, cured mine. clean the mass air meter,clean the Iac
valve body too.check for vacuum leaks by squeezing the hoses with pliers while its running see what happens.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'll trade that POS S/C for a new IAC....Superchargers don't work on these trucks everyone knows that.:D

Really, I vote clean the IAC and then do the ohm/volt check per the FSM.

Mine was gunked up and was fixed by a cleaning. The valve wouldn't even move when voltage was applied. Until I cleaned it.

All good now.

Except no supercharger:lmao:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Your idle is way high, I got a similar but opposite problem. A 3.4 (no supercharger) that idles under 600 and has a rough idle, above 600 rpms its just fine. My problem seems to be it need to raise the idle, I've been reading on it and most idle problems (low/high) are caused by IAC. I should remove mine and clean, some people fix the problem by cleaning it, but some cases it gets worse (put it wrong, recalibrate, bad gasket).

have you tried to reset the idle, I cant remember 100% how I did it but it helped, I can look for it if you need it/wanna try it.

Something about disconnect battery until computer is cleared (30 minutes?) , start one minute, turn on ac one minute, put in gear, I think ac off once in gear. That resets idle.
Having this same low idle issue 50% of the time, and i recently took off my TB and cleaned it, and the IAC as well, it was super dirty. I notice now sometimes when in gear i pull up to a stop light and the idle goes from about 650 down to 550-525 range and start shuttering a little. 01 taco 3.4L auto. suggestions? Sorry to thread jack.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Having this same low idle issue 50% of the time, and i recently took off my TB and cleaned it, and the IAC as well, it was super dirty. I notice now sometimes when in gear i pull up to a stop light and the idle goes from about 650 down to 550-525 range and start shuttering a little. 01 taco 3.4L auto. suggestions? Sorry to thread jack.
Have you tried resetting the idle ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts