TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help here, I am buying a 97 or 98 4x4 Tacoma in the next month or so. I have owned Toyota Trucks/Tacomas in the past including a '96 4x4 V6 ExCab and a '95 4x4 V6 RegCab so I am familiar with them.

I will be buying a ExCab, 4x4, 5 speed that has not been lifted. Gas mileage is important but I also want to be able to tow my 2000 lb. camper and maybe borrow a friend's boat ( 19' Invader with a 4.3 i/o, fairly heavy).

Here is the question, should I limit my search to V6 models or would a 4 work almost as well. I have noticed posts regarding the reliability of the 2.7 and the ease of maintaining. I look at the specs and the 4 only gets 1 more mpg that the V6, a price I can afford. I will try to buy one with manual hubs for whatever efficiency gain that will offer.

I have never driven the 2.7 standard in a 4x4, does it have the low end power similar to the V6? Will I likely wish I had held out for a V6?

Thanks for the help,

Scott

·
Registered
67 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:
I will be buying a ExCab, 4x4, 5 speed that has not been lifted. Gas mileage is important but I also want to be able to tow my 2000 lb. camper and maybe borrow a friend's boat ( 19' Invader with a 4.3 i/o, fairly heavy).

Thanks for the help,

Scott
I have the 2.7 and wouldn't be happy towing a camper with it. I probably wouldn't like towing with the V6 either, but I'm sure it would be better.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:
Need a little help here, I am buying a 97 or 98 4x4 Tacoma in the next month or so. I have owned Toyota Trucks/Tacomas in the past including a '96 4x4 V6 ExCab and a '95 4x4 V6 RegCab so I am familiar with them.

Here is the question, should I limit my search to V6 models or would a 4 work almost as well. I have noticed posts regarding the reliability of the 2.7 and the ease of maintaining. I look at the specs and the 4 only gets 1 more mpg that the V6, a price I can afford. I will try to buy one with manual hubs for whatever efficiency gain that will offer.

I have never driven the 2.7 standard in a 4x4, does it have the low end power similar to the V6? Will I likely wish I had held out for a V6?

Thanks for the help,

Scott
i would vote for a 3.4, i have a 2.7 now and eventually i would like to go to a 3.4.. especially if you are going to be towing, the 2.7 does ok, but the 3.4 would do better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think the 2.7 would do weel pulling a 19ft out of water on an incline. You would be probably maxing out the tow capacity anyhow. The V6 would be the better way to go for a boat about 2500-2800lbs.( I'm quessing since my 19ft weighs 2800)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I love my 2.7l to death as far as how reliable it is but when i drove a v6 taco the power difference was startling and humbling. The 2.7 will not tow like the 3.4 but the 2.7l is all i need for anything else. I'm also rolling 33x12.5's geared to 4.88 and have substantial low end power.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that about decides it, V6 it is. I will deal with timing belts and slightly more maintenance, I do remember the power is sweeeet and available at low rpms.

Thanks,

FWIW, I tow the camper with my wife's Sienna with the 3.0, sure isn't fast though. Have pulled my friend's boat once, never do that again.

Scott

·
Registered
113 Posts
my cousin pulled a trailer with tractor and bushhog on it 50 miles with his 2.7, but he said he couldnt go over 30mph. didnt hurt the truck but it was a long trip. go with the v6.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My 2.7 hardly has the power to pull anything with any good weight behind it, but I would be most concerned with the clutch burning too much.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:

Thanks for the help,

Scott
v6 w/o question AND make sure to get one with 4.10 gears...either a TRD or the AT. the non-TRD 5-spd came with 3.91s
If you plan on bumping up the tire size (over the stock 31s) I would suggest regearing to 4.56s if you plan on doing regular towing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My neighbor has an '04 entended-cab 4x4 with the 2.7 and five-speed. He hauled a rather small, enclosed utility trailer on a 1,500-mile road trip this past summer, and he said the truck had trouble maintaining 70 on flat ground in fifth gear, even when the trailer was empty. His truck is stock.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 3.4 V6 in my Toyota, and it tows my jet boat (3700 lbs.+-) Just fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you really are planning to pull a heavy trailer I'd consider another truck all together. I restored a 18' bayboat last winter and found that the 3.4 in my 01 (4x4 5-speed) just wasnt up to hauling a heavy load. I eventually sold the boat because it was going to kill my truck eventually. My bud has a V8 Tundra and it hauled it like the boat want even there! I'm running 32's without any gear changes and that maybe the cause of lack of grunt, I noticed a performance drop off when those tires went on and only assume it had something to do with the condition.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.

I intend to only occasionally pull a trailer and only very occasionally a boat. I also have no intention of putting bigger wheels as it has to do double duty as a work truck so mileage is important.

I have owned a 96 4x4 V6 5spd before and remember it had plenty of power for getting around. I towed a fully loaded single axle Uhaul trailer from Kansas City to Houston when I moved back, I remember it was heavy and took a lot of gas to maintain 65-70, but I do not intend to haul anything that heavy or for as long again.

That trip home was through a pretty good snowstorm, the dog and I had a good time just the two of us. We were both happy to be back in Texas.

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:

Thanks for the help,

Scott

I will add to what others have mentioned. I have the 2.7, I have a 20' flat bed and towed more on it than I should. I will do it but it is no fun. Any milage advantage you have unloaded will be gone when you tow. Go for the six, you will not be wrong :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts