TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys (especially you LTed guys) like this combo? how does it do in sand and loose dirt? i know how the 5spd is but what about the auto??

·
Registered
307 Posts
i have no complaints, not much diff from stock, cept for gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The auto is great.........why anyone enjoys fucking with a 5 speed is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Took me a bit to get used to how to off road with the auto, but I like it and enjoy wheeling with it. It's all in the accelerator pedal control.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i drove a friends double cab with auto and compared to my xtra cab 5 speed, it felt underpowered. we do live around 7k feet and lots of hills tho.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

The stock gearing is lower in the 5 speed's which may have been the lack of power you were feeling. Why would anyone would to screw with a 5 speed? I don't know really. The auto is really better in most offroad situations, but damnit, I'm a driver. I drive for fun. That's why I like my 5 speed. My buddy's auto does anything I can do with ease, and makes driving in the sand much easier for the novice.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
how do you guys (especially you LTed guys) like this combo? how does it do in sand and loose dirt? i know how the 5spd is but what about the auto??
I know who Ted is, but What is an L Ted guy?

Ted is everywhere, so is this "Looking fo Ted"?

I'm confused! :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
long traveled guys... haha but yeh my old 3.4L with the 5 speed and 33's with stock 4.10s did great in the sand, loved the way i could run it at the higher RPMs the keep the power and momentum, but my friend with the auto had some trouble keeping up with the auto in the sand, ive seen many many sick LTed DC's out there and was considering a DC for my new truck but am a little un sure of the auto.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i drove a friends double cab with auto and compared to my xtra cab 5 speed, it felt underpowered. we do live around 7k feet and lots of hills tho.
yeah i also live in the higher elevations for a portion of the year in snowmass, co (just short of 8000ft), another reason i am skeptical

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The problem is your friend not knowing how to drive then........Mine has 4.10's and 32's and I make several trips to the dunes each year and never have a problem.........hell when i take the 4runner which has a 5 speed I spend the entire trip fighting it cause it always seems to want to be right in between gears (2nd is too low.....third is too much......with t-case in low) where as the auto has enough rpm range and flexability that you don't ever run into this.

One other question...........you say you like to be able to run higher rpm's and keep your momentum up with the 5-speed..........who says you cant do that with a auto???........if you pull it back into 1rst you can run the dam thing to the rev limiter and hold it there if you really want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i love my 5spd in the dirt or the sand!!! the only thing i dont like is how tough it makes masturbating on a windy road:confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
the 5speed has more getup and go to it.

my 5speed xcab taco feels way quicker then my my moms auto dcab.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have the donahoe kit on my DC with camburg control arms, deaver springs and the 3.4/auto combo and it does fine in the desert and on offroad trails. when you jump it sometimes the tranny shifts into neutral but its not that big of a deal you just shift it back into drive. i also run a tranny cooler and mobil 1 syn tranny fluid so its really smooth.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
nah doesnt do well in the sand at all :D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The problem is your friend not knowing how to drive then........Mine has 4.10's and 32's and I make several trips to the dunes each year and never have a problem.........hell when i take the 4runner which has a 5 speed I spend the entire trip fighting it cause it always seems to want to be right in between gears (2nd is too low.....third is too much......with t-case in low) where as the auto has enough rpm range and flexability that you don't ever run into this.

One other question...........you say you like to be able to run higher rpm's and keep your momentum up with the 5-speed..........who says you cant do that with a auto???........if you pull it back into 1rst you can run the dam thing to the rev limiter and hold it there if you really want.
i am that guy you are claiming doesn't know how to drive an auto in the sand.:flipoff1: And i assure you that it's not because i'm an idiot. The auto transmission has fewer gears which means they are going to have to be taller to achieve the same cruising speed as a 5-speed. You put 33's on it and it only makes the final drive ratio that much taller. You put a genius behind the wheel it's not going to dig itself out of the sand any better. I'm not trash talking the automatic trans, i just think it will take a bit more money to get the same power out of it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
when i take the 4runner which has a 5 speed I spend the entire trip fighting it cause it always seems to want to be right in between gears (2nd is too low.....third is too much......with t-case in low) where as the auto has enough rpm range and flexability that you don't ever run into this.
Sounds like you just aren't geared right. And why would you put your tcase in low? :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
The auto is great.........why anyone enjoys fucking with a 5 speed is beyond me.
Lets see, better gas mileage, cheaper to maintain and repair, and more controll...

Don't get me wrong though, the Auto is a great tranny. If you do anything in the sand, be sure to put a Tranny Cooler (Hayden 678 or 679)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts