TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what's going on here, but my 110k mile 3.4L began eating coolant lately and it's really bothering me.

I had this problem once before, but I replaced the water pump @ 95k miles (it was encrusted in baked-on coolant) and that seemed to solve my problem.
I really can't see my water pump going out on me again that fast, so I highly doubt that is the culprit again.

I am really, really hoping that it's not a blown head gasket, that would suck. Mine is a '98, so it should have escaped any possible head gasket issues from the factory. That said, I suppose any vehicle with 110k miles could lose a head gasket... crap. Since the ground is very much snow-covered now, I would notice a coolant leak pretty quick (and I have not seen any coolant on the ground yet), so I am bracing myself for the worst.

Any suggestions, please post up.

-Rob
[email protected]

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
LabradorBoy said:
I have no idea what's going on here, but my 110k mile 3.4L began eating coolant lately and it's really bothering me.

I had this problem once before, but I replaced the water pump @ 95k miles (it was encrusted in baked-on coolant) and that seemed to solve my problem.
I really can't see my water pump going out on me again that fast, so I highly doubt that is the culprit again.

I am really, really hoping that it's not a blown head gasket, that would suck. Mine is a '98, so it should have escaped any possible head gasket issues from the factory. That said, I suppose any vehicle with 110k miles could lose a head gasket... crap. Since the ground is very much snow-covered now, I would notice a coolant leak pretty quick (and I have not seen any coolant on the ground yet), so I am bracing myself for the worst.

Any suggestions, please post up.

-Rob
[email protected]

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Excessive white smoke out the exhaust would be an indicator as would bubbling coolant in the radiator or overflow bottle.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ecar95 said:
Sounds like a blown head gasket. Excessive white smoke out the exhaust would be an indicator as would bubbling coolant in the radiator or overflow bottle.
The excessive smoke part is hard to diagnose, it's around -20C here now, so everything smokes like the devil.

I will certainly be on the lookout though, regardless.

-Rob
[email protected]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ecar95 said:
Oh, BTW, the overflow was empty, I guess she sucked it dry.

My rad and overflow resi took a full gallon of coolant when I investigated yesterday.

-Rob

·
Registered
110 Posts
LabradorBoy said:
The excessive smoke part is hard to diagnose, it's around -20C here now, so everything smokes like the devil.

I will certainly be on the lookout though, regardless.

-Rob
[email protected]
have someone else start your truck and then smell the smoke coming out of the tailpipe. if you are burning your antifreeze the white smoke will have a sweet smell to it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
LabradorBoy said:
Oh, BTW, the overflow was empty, I guess she sucked it dry.

My rad and overflow resi took a full gallon of coolant when I investigated yesterday.

-Rob
Do an oil change. If your oil looks like a milkshake then you have a head gasket problem. If it looks normal, then start looking over the engine for leaks. Replace any suspect hoses and check the seal around the water pump (maybe there was something wrong with the gasket). Hoppe this helps. :xbeer1:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Oh Boy. I remember what was wrong with mine when I had that problem....

Pull a spark plug and see if it's covered in a watery-oily mess.

Brian

·
Registered
77 Posts
LabradorBoy said:
For traces of coolant?
Yes do an oil change and let the oil sit in a clear bottle or something like that and let it stand for a couple hours. the water or coolant will settle to the bottom of the bottle(s). If you get coolant in there then you've got a problem.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
I just finished a complete top-end rebuild of my 3.4l. I didn't have a real reason for doing it other than... ok I have zero reasons. But I did it. When I pulled the drivers side head, sure enough, there was a little bit of coolant where there shouldn't have been. Mine's a 99 with 108k.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That really blows dude, litteraly and figuratively. if it's the head gasket it's really not that hard to do as long as you can find someone that will let you use there garage seeing as you said it's cold and all.

hope it works out for you man.

EDIT: yeaaaaa!!!!!!! i'm a "member" now this was my 25th post

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BigBadBob0 said:
I just finished a complete top-end rebuild of my 3.4l. I didn't have a real reason for doing it other than... ok I have zero reasons. But I did it. When I pulled the drivers side head, sure enough, there was a little bit of coolant where there shouldn't have been. Mine's a 99 with 108k.
Thanks for the mileage and year note. With those figures in mind, mine could certainly be leaking badly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
LabradorBoy said:
FAWK! Exhaust smells sweet. Looks like I'll be in the garage for a while again during Christmas. :(
For a few bucks you can have the cooling system pressure tested and also have them test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. I had that done at a radiator shop once.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nanotruck said:
For a few bucks you can have the cooling system pressure tested and also have them test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. I had that done at a radiator shop once.
Ya, I wish. In the location I am right now, all we have are Mom & Pop shops with hand tools ;)

I'm on my own for this one, but my father-in-law is an excellent mech, so I'll be alright.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 45 Posts