TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, truck is 2001 3.4 auto. looking at what i have it seems to have stock exhaust back to the muffler, 40 series flow master with 2.25 piping muffler back to the tip. Im curious, is the stock piping (cat to muff) 2" or 2.25? my searching on here some are saying 2 3/8's some 2" so im trying to determine if 2.5" would be worth it from the cat to the muffler then to the tip. Also, not use to this stupid 2 cat setup, any one running larger piping from cat1 to cat 2? And if i change that out, any idea on if its a PITA to weld in new O2 bungs (or whatever they call it) so i can retain the O2's in the new 2.5" piping? thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
IMO leave it. Exhaust mods on the 3.4, even headers, give only the smallest performance gain (single digit hp gain).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Everything I've read on here recommends not bothering with headers and upping your exhaust diameter till you can go with some sort of forced induction. These motors don't respond to exhaust upgrades with significant power increases like some other motors do in stock form. I had a Chevy truck with a really built 350 and as a kid went with headers into 3" pipe dumping into purple hornies with the turn downs. With that exhaust it was louder than a Harley, I got hearing damaged and lost a shit ton of torque. If you've got a 4 wheel drive ya need the torque. An xrunner possibly the top end gains would be of benefit, but its an entirely different truck, and forum. Lol

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO leave it. Exhaust mods on the 3.4, even headers, give only the smallest performance gain (single digit hp gain).
agreed, however i can't "leave it" because the flow master on the truck has a crack in it and i just noticed it :rolleyes:. so, a local ttora memeber is selling me a nice 2.5in 2.5 out performance muffler for a steal and i was wondering if the larger diameter piping would be worth a little extra $$. or just cut the bitch from the muffler back and make it 2.5 from there.

Everything I've read on here recommends not bothering with headers and upping your exhaust diameter till you can go with some sort of forced induction. These motors don't respond to exhaust upgrades with significant power increases like some other motors do in stock form. I had a Chevy truck with a really built 350 and as a kid went with headers into 3" pipe dumping into purple hornies with the turn downs. With that exhaust it was louder than a Harley, I got hearing damaged and lost a shit ton of torque. If you've got a 4 wheel drive ya need the torque. An xrunner possibly the top end gains would be of benefit, but its an entirely different truck, and forum. Lol
yea, shes a 4x2, no "crawling" for me anymore. But i will throw her in the mud and off the road some times. Gotta put that locker to use somehow.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Stock is 2 3/8"... When I re-did mine I used 2.5" and a Thrush Chambered, it sounds like shit and lost torque. I'm gonna fix it soon with 2.25" piping and a better sounding muffler.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock is 2 3/8"... When I re-did mine I used 2.5" and a Thrush Chambered, it sounds like shit and lost torque. I'm gonna fix it soon with 2.25" piping and a better sounding muffler.
did you do 2.5" from the rear cat back to the exhaust tip? or muffler back to tip?

·
Registered
337 Posts
did you do 2.5" from the rear cat back to the exhaust tip? or muffler back to tip?
I don't think you understood what I said...

I do NOT have two cats.

I do NOT have one cat.

I have ZERO cats...

So... ALL my piping is 2.5"

There's ONE bend in my entire exhaust system.

There is NO tip.

There's a 2.5" dump under the bed.

Sounds like shit, runs like shit, IS shit.

If you can remove the cat I suggest it, if you can't... Who cares?

Use 2.25" pipe and a turbo-style or lazy-s style muffler (Borla, Jardine, etc..) and you'll never be happier with the way your truck sounds. Chambered mufflers sound ricey and god awful. The way my truck sounds now it screams "I'm a dumb ass teenager and I want YOU TO LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!!!!!" :lmao:

·
Registered
337 Posts
BTW... running 2.25" from the downpipe and/or cat(s) and then upping it to 2.5" won't do anything but cost you more money, and sound more hollow and raspy. ;)

I learned that lesson when I was seventeen and just got my first 'Yota with a 22R.. I put 2.25" from the downpipe (no cat) to a Dynomax Super Turbo, and 2.5" pipe after that with an "echo tip" if you know what that is (if you don't, google it because they're stupid)... There's no reason to go bigger than 2.25" on ANY Toyota unless you've got the 5.7 V8, or forced induction. Any bigger than that is for punk ass kids, and army guys..

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW... running 2.25" from the downpipe and/or cat(s) and then upping it to 2.5" won't do anything but cost you more money, and sound more hollow and raspy. ;)

I learned that lesson when I was seventeen and just got my first 'Yota with a 22R.. I put 2.25" from the downpipe (no cat) to a Dynomax Super Turbo, and 2.5" pipe after that with an "echo tip" if you know what that is (if you don't, google it because they're stupid)... There's no reason to go bigger than 2.25" on ANY Toyota unless you've got the 5.7 V8, or forced induction. Any bigger than that is for punk ass kids, and army guys..
gotcha, Yea i've seen that people state the stock piping is 2 3/8's inch which is a very uncommon size for local muffler shops to have. I guess I'll stick with stock piping to the muffler and see if they have 2 3/8's inch to run from the muffler to the tip. Whats on there now looks to be smaller than stock so maybe 2" or 2.25" muffler back. I should really bust out my tape measure and stop being lazy.

thanks for the info, and PS i got a Spin tech muffler for cheap last friday so its going in as soon as i get some $$ for a shop to install it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just have them replace all the piping with 2 1/4"... It's the perfect size for horsepower and torque gains from 2-4k rpm. You could just use the stock stuff if it's not rusty to the muffler, and then have them use 2 1/4" for the tail pipe. Those spintech mufflers sound NICE! You'll be impressed with that for sure. Post a video!

:xozzy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts