TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I would like to know if it's possible to put a 4.0L V6 engin (tacoma 2005 engin) in a tacoma 2.7L 4cyl 1999? Or a 3.4L? I need more power for my tacoma. I have a 6" fabtech lift kit, push-bar. I want to put bigger tire may be 35 inch or 33 inch. What's the best engine I could put or what the best thing to do to get more power and to get better gas millage?

David

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Why? The 2.7L is a proven reliable bulletproof motor. I have a 98 with the 2.7 and I run 37's. I think that swap would be more hassle than its worth. NOt only size and fitment issues, but wiring issues as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You need to regear for those tires sizes, not do an engine swap.

·
Registered
313 Posts
x2 on the re-gears. Buy the tires first, then you know what size to re-gear for. You'd be surprised at the mechanical advantage the gears give you. If you still want more power after the gears, then you can look into turbo/superchargers, etc. Many places to look, including URD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so only regear will do the job. I will check and read about regearing the diff and put locker.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
324 Posts
plus a 3.4 stock only has about 20 more hp. but put a supercharger on it and, wa wa wee wa!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Engine swap

If you are wanting to do more crawling vs mudding and you are going to go through the trouble of a swap then go diesel. Not to mention you will get good gas mileage and tons of low end punch. Call up the guys at JARCO in Georgia and they will get you a half cut with the ecu, tranny, t case, front diff.....

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just stick with the regear. I would recommend a 4.88 ratio for 33's and the 2.7L 4 cyl for better off roading, but I think a 4.56 ratio will get you closer to stock for better road manners. I'm not sure about 35's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts