TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever found high performance camshafts for 3.4l V6's?

I've been searching around trying to find something about it, but haven't stumbled across anything. If they don't make them, they should, they make cams for any other vehicle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
EL Prototypes used too. They're a custom grind and the cost and work to install them isn't worth the peformance gain. If you want more HP then buy a Supercharger.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Has anybody ever found high performance camshafts for 3.4l V6's?

I've been searching around trying to find something about it, but haven't stumbled across anything. If they don't make them, they should, they make cams for any other vehicle.
Lc Enginerring has them.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
what kind of power gains are people getting from cams? I would guess they aren't california smog legal.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I wouldn't know. It depends on how the cam has changed valve timing, lift, overlap and dwell. I doubt it would ever improve performance as much as the SC though. Forced induction is the best bang for the buck bar none and if you put the SC on you don't need or even want to change the cam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why wouldn't you want to put cams in, if you had a supercharger. they're designed to keep your valves opened longer, leaving more time for air to be forced into the cylinders, meaning more horsepower...right? or am i completely wrong? that what I thought high performance cams were for, but like i said i could be completely wrong.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
EL Prototypes used too. They're a custom grind and the cost and work to install them isn't worth the peformance gain. If you want more HP then buy a Supercharger.

EL Prototypes used to do a lot of shit..... LOL! I think they're outta business now :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Basically because the positive pressure in the intake forced induction reduces the dwell time necessary for the intake valve to be open in order to fill the cylinder. Increasing valve duration beyond that only limits the time available for spark timing etc. Increasing overlap with forced induction results in lost fuel and possibly less charge in the cylinder. Cams are intended to reduce the vacuum in the intake and to allow the cylinder to draw in air from just ambient atmospheric pressure. With forced induction there is no vacuum there is positive pressure

I suggest you do some reading before spending money on parts.

I'm not running a school and to tell you all the reasons why, answer all of the inevitible follow on questions, then fight with all of the internet dipshits and self proclamed experts that would crawl out from under the rocks would take up too much space here.

Here's a good book to start with that will answer that question along with many other related questions. It's just one of the many good books out there on the subject of forced induction. This one is a decent read and a good buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-...7858546?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179938237&sr=1-1

When compared to the price of parts, mods etc. a little knowledge is cheap at twice the going prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts