TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there ever a 2WD 5speed transmission offered to work with the 3.4L V6? If so, what platform was it out of? I can find 4WD 5speed manuals all day long for cheap but can't find anything for a 5speed setup.

What about running an older pickup 3.0L V6 2WD transmission behind the 3.4L in a tacoma. Any down side to that? I think the slave cylinder for the clutch is on the wrong side but should be good to go other then that I'd think which isn't a big deal.

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
The R150 transmission is used with lots of drivetrain combos. R150 is the 2WD 5sp transmission used behind the 3.4L in a Tacoma. The R150F is used in the 4WD models. Same basic R150 transmission, just different output shafts and tail housings depending on the drivetrain behind it.

www.ebay.com/itm/320264228875

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info! I looked quite a bit yesterday and it looked like the R150 is what I wanted as you said but all the R150's that I found were claimed to be 4WD yet didn't have the "F" designation at the end.

The one you just linked on ebay, that's out of a pretacoma pickup right? So the slave cylinder will be on the opposite side correct? I don't think this will be a big deal for what I've got going on but just want to verify. If I remember right and now wish I'd done more documentation of my swap... I put a 3.4L into my '89 that was OE with a 3.0, manual 2wd. The 3.4L mated right up to the 3.0 manual trans but I think I put a 3.4L clutch kit in it with the 3.0 throwout bearing.

So, my thought is on this '04 tacoma we're building I can put in an older pickup 5 speed manual combined with a 3.4L clutch but a 3.0 throwout bearing also. Then I just need to route the clutch line to the opposite side.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This might be a dumb question but what's the advantage of that? If it's just so that the slave cylinder is on the same side I don't think that's going to be much of an issue cause I've got to re-plumb the brake lines from inside the cab since I'm doing away with power brakes and ABS and also am converting from auto to manual at the same time so a line will need plumbed from the clutch master in the cab to the slave no matter what anyways. Factory type lines aren't going to work in this case.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
bumping an older thread, but where is the best place to find R150 tranny's at?

Car-part dot com is a good place to search for parts local to your area. I have bought a few things using that site a locator tool.

·
Registered
422 Posts
95.5-04 tacoma 2wd x-cabs were available with a v6/2wd/5spd, also the 1st gen 4x2 v6 5spd tundra's had the same transmission.
The older trucks 88-95 was also available and the guys above posted the correct info. You need to use a 3vze throwout bearing...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts