TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Andrew123654 said:
I found a deal on some 15x10 6 lug 3.5 bs wheels... Will that bs be enough to clear the calipers? I dont want to buy spacers.
There's more to it than that, in theory our trucks like less backspacing with aftermarket wheels, but it also depends on the shape of the back side of the wheels.

You should know by now, test fit, test fit, test fit...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Andrew123654 said:
I found a deal on some 15x10 6 lug 3.5 bs wheels... Will that bs be enough to clear the calipers? I dont want to buy spacers.
yes, but you'd better have a huge amount of lift to be able to clear the fenders. What size tires and what lift?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Andrew123654 said:
Iv got 285-75-16's right now on the stock rims. Iv got 3sus 3bl and almost positive I have room to clear. My truck is a reg cab pre-runner which I hear sit a little bit higher than any other tacoma model. I really just want black rims and this guy is selling his for $100 bucks.
if you plan on putting those 15x10s on the 285/75/16 its gonna be no dice. youre gonna need new tires.

·
Registered
662 Posts
ShowStop said:
Repeating the comments that mudferret made. You need to test fit the rims to make sure they clear the calipers. Backspacing does not tell you anything about caliper clearance. Test fit those rims before you buy
But we also just found out that he has 285/75/16, and is wanting to run 15" rims, so no workie either way...

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
But we also just found out that he has 285/75/16, and is wanting to run 15" rims, so no workie either way...
Yeah, but he mentioned this when asked about how much lift he had. He was not commenting that he planned to use the 16" tires with the 15" rims. I think we can make a huge assumption that he is clever enough to know that 16" tires don't fit on 15" rims. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
951 Posts
3.5" BS is not enough for a 15x10 rim. I have 3.5" BS on my 15x8 rims and the rim wall comes within 1" of my upper A-arm. Add 12.5" wide tires to that and you will definately be rubbing on your upper a-arms constantly. You did not specify the year of your taco, but I assume it is a 2000+ with factory 16" rims. I do not believe that the caliper changed significantly from '98 models so you "should" be able to clear the calipers with 15" rims. I have gotten different answers from various tire shops and dealers so your best bet would be to get one and try it on. As for price, you can buy stell wagon wheels brand new for $28 a piece for 15x8's from most major dealers. Hope this helps!

Boheefus

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Like the others have said, you will need to test fit the wheels to see if they fit. I have 15x8 with 3.5 backspace and they rubbed just a bit - I just took a grinder to the calipers to get them to fit.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
4xClover said:
Like the others have said, you will need to test fit the wheels to see if they fit. I have 15x8 with 3.5 backspace and they rubbed just a bit - I just took a grinder to the calipers to get them to fit.
grinding the calipers down is risky. the metal there is not that thick to begin with. 1/32-1/16" seems to work, however. its still better to just get the correct wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Andrew123654 said:
Thank you showstop... its amazing that someone thinks id use a f****** tire for a 16 inch rim on a 15 inch rim. Iv modded my truck this far....
my bad dude, didnt mean to offend you or anything with that post...i just wanted to make sure and not let you find out the hard way :D

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
hytenor said:
grinding the calipers down is risky. the metal there is not that thick to begin with. 1/32-1/16" seems to work, however. its still better to just get the correct wheels.
True - however, I didn't have to grind that much to remove the rubbing.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
4xClover said:
True - however, I didn't have to grind that much to remove the rubbing.
but some guys get a grinder in their hands and just can't stop, LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
Andrew123654
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing