TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running 33's with stock 3.91's or similar, if so, how is the ride. Is it bearable or is regearing necessary right away? :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
You could do it but WHY??????????? No gas milage and your engine wouldn't last you around the block. I say regear. That's a whole lot of rubber to be turning with 3:91's.

·
Registered
335 Posts
USAFTaco said:
You could do it but WHY??????????? No gas milage and your engine wouldn't last you around the block. I say regear. That's a whole lot of rubber to be turning with 3:91's.
Dispite what this member says, it likely would not wear out the engine that much. You could always try it and see how it feels. I think it matters a lot whether you have stick/auto or v6/I4.

I ran 33s on 3.55s on my ford for a long time, it was sluggish, but it wasnt worth a "WHY??????????????"

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
It is doable. I have been running 33's and 4.10's for a couple of years now. With no issues and my engine "has not wore out" :flipoff1: .

My performance is not bad but if my gears were any taller it would be marginal (v-6 auto). You can put the tires on but start saving for gears, I think you're right on that line where it may work or it may make your driving experience miserable. If I lived in other than flatlands I would have regeared.

Get the tires but be prepared to get the gears within 6 months. Talking abnout it makes me want gears, but I am supposed to be done with mods...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
NC's BeefTaco said:
Is anyone running 33's with stock 3.91's or similar, if so, how is the ride. Is it bearable or is regearing necessary right away? :confused:
Which engine do you have?

I have a 2.7 w/ 3.58's and 31x1050s and its purty damn slow. I still get 17-18mpg. Im planning on getting 33x1050's and swapping in 4.30's.

Id imagine 3.91's would suck w/ even a 33x1050 esp a 1250. Id go w/ at least a 430 if not a 456 or 488. Depending on your engine and your planned usage.

The cheapest gears can be found on the boards, either this one or a chapter board. Some people sell thier stock 4.30's or get a 456 and decide to swap 488's soon after and get rid of the 456's fairly cheap. I got my 430's for $70 out of an '04 for both the front and rear w/ only 7k on them. Just havent got em installed yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We ran 3.58's on our 2.7l taco for a while with 33x10.5's and it sucked but with some wheelspin we could still wheel it pretty good. On the street you just never use 5th. It's not ideal but if you need to do it for awhile go for it.

We took the truck to Hollister like that for a TTORA event and went through some impressive sections of trail. We damaged one of the bedsides from having to carry momentum over a quick obstacle but the Taco made it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts