TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an auxilliary fusebox that I'm going to use to wire up 3 Hella 4k lights and I want to only use 1 switch. Is there a way to do this without having to run a switch for each light?

I want to make it so that at worst I'll only lose one light if the bulb goes out in one of the three lights and also to reduce the load on the wiring so I eliminate the risk of melting wires.

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
You can run 3 independant wiring systems, with individual fuses. Run the switch wires to the switch and splice them with the spade connector to the switch. The others will work if one bulb fails.

You can also use one wiring system with heavier wiring. The other lights will continue to run if one fails.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Use a 12v three pole relay, hook your switch to the coil on the relay. Oh yea, dont forget fuses and size the wire correctly. If it melts you didn't go big enough on the feed wire. Good luck

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HairyMonkey said:
I have an auxilliary fusebox that I'm going to use to wire up 3 Hella 4k lights and I want to only use 1 switch. Is there a way to do this without having to run a switch for each light?

I want to make it so that at worst I'll only lose one light if the bulb goes out in one of the three lights and also to reduce the load on the wiring so I eliminate the risk of melting wires.
Add another scoop of coffee when yer makin' your morning brew... :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
HairyMonkey said:

what? :confused: If the bulb burns out the others will still work. If you want them to be fused individually, then a 3 pole relay is the way to go.
(you can also use 3 sinlge pole relays)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
HairyMonkey said:

what you been smokin? :p

what is the aux box rated for?
I've seen on/off/on switches but nothing for 3 separate circuits on one.
why do you only want 1 switch anyway? :confused:
run two switches...one for 2 lights and the other for the remaining one.
each circuit needs a relay.
use at least 14g wire to each light and go to 12g if you patch 2 together before they get to the relay.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ wut?

I would like to get the OEM factory fog switch and wire the lights up to it so it looks clean. I could easily just mount 3 switches but I want to avoid cluttering my dash.

I'm not sure what the power rating on the aux fusebox is...i got it from 4wheelparts that has the 4 always on / 3 ignition only.

I wan't to create as reliable a wiring system as possible and since I have nothing else connected to my aux fusebox, I wanted to put each light with it's own fuse.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
HairyMonkey said:
^ wut?

I would like to get the OEM factory fog switch and wire the lights up to it so it looks clean. I could easily just mount 3 switches but I want to avoid cluttering my dash.

I'm not sure what the power rating on the aux fusebox is...i got it from 4wheelparts that has the 4 always on / 3 ignition only.

I wan't to create as reliable a wiring system as possible and since I have nothing else connected to my aux fusebox, I wanted to put each light with it's own fuse.
you really don't need 1fuse/light. you can run all three together with a 20a fuse if you want (55w bulbs), probably a 25 for 100s.
or, run one 15a for one light and a 20a for two with 100s
really doesn't matter.

that fuse box needs to be rated for at least the amount of current draw you are planning for...reason I asked.

you can run one OE switch to control all 3 at once but not in some combination other than that.

I've got 4 of the OE switches in my center consol...r/l drivers, center driver, rear lights and top/side lights

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think each fuse is 10 or 15 amps so I'm confident it'll work, especially if I wire it individually.

And just to clarify, I KNOW that I don't need each light on it's own circuit. I have my reasons, none of which will harm my truck. :flipoff4:

·
Registered
458 Posts
HairyMonkey said:
I think each fuse is 10 or 15 amps so I'm confident it'll work, especially if I wire it individually.

And just to clarify, I KNOW that I don't need each light on it's own circuit. I have my reasons, none of which will harm my truck. :flipoff4:

Just adding a bit of confusion to the fray...

55W / 12V = 4.58 amps or figure 5 amps per light.

Reality.... simply that you are putting a fuse in the circuit is the protection you need... a 20A fuse will blow pretty quick if there's a short. The bigger deal is to make sure you don't run too much current through the switch contacts... usually in lighting circuits, a relay is added to prevent switch overload.... check the switch, it will have a 'DC' load rating stamped into the side of it... don't run it at it's limit...it will get warm, later on hot, then fail.

Relays are a great idea because you can keep the higher current out of the cab. Also you can have much simpler wiring by being able to only run 1 wire per circuit through the firewall.

I think back to your original question how to get a three circuit system to work with one switch... relays are one answer, a 3-pole switch is another. A three-pole switch has three switch circuits all mechanically tied together to go on and off at the same time--usually only available in a toggle switch format.

Good luck, enjoy and brighten the night!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Wiring 3 Hella 4000s

I will get more info from my shop that pieced my truck together but he told me by installing relays before my stock switch it was safe to run all 3 of my Hella 4000s off my old factory fog switch. He replaced all the wire to the switch but kept the switch to look clean.

I knew enough that the stock wiring wouldnt support it but not enough to risk fire to my truck my doing it myself. :(

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
06LVTACO - I have extra mod money for LT because I ask questions and do it MYSELF :p ....totally kidding

Thanks for the science on this topic, MrSammi!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
06LVTACO said:
I will get more info from my shop that pieced my truck together but he told me by installing relays before my stock switch it was safe to run all 3 of my Hella 4000s off my old factory fog switch. He replaced all the wire to the switch but kept the switch to look clean.

I knew enough that the stock wiring wouldnt support it but not enough to risk fire to my truck my doing it myself. :(
you could run 20 lights with that one switch...really doesn't matter as long are they are relayed.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
HairyMonkey said:

whatever

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you HAVE to have 3 fuses...

First off the best way to do it is all 3 lights on one fuse, if a short occurs, it WILL blow you dont have to worry about that. You just tie all three positives together and hook it up with a relay. you will have one small gauge wire runnning into your cab instead of 6 heavy gauge ones. BUT, if you have to fuse them seprately, do it like this:

Have 3 seprate fuses AFTER the relay, and one 20a fuse going into the relay, just in case your relay fails or the wiring between the battery and the 3 fuses fails.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
riverhog14 said:
First off the best way to do it is all 3 lights on one fuse, if a short occurs, it WILL blow you dont have to worry about that. You just tie all three positives together and hook it up with a relay. you will have one small gauge wire runnning into your cab instead of 6 heavy gauge ones. BUT, if you have to fuse them seprately, do it like this:

Have 3 seprate fuses AFTER the relay, and one 20a fuse going into the relay, just in case your relay fails or the wiring between the battery and the 3 fuses fails.
only 5a fuses for 55s?? that's pushing it, IMO; I'd go with 7.5s and 10s for 100w bulbs. a 55w bulb can blow a 5a on start up with ease. The norm for a pair of 55s is a 15a.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
hytenor said:
only 5a fuses for 55s?? that's pushing it, IMO; I'd go with 7.5s and 10s for 100w bulbs. a 55w bulb can blow a 5a on start up with ease. The norm for a pair of 55s is a 15a.
I use 20's & 30's for 100w lamps but what do I know? My relays seem to be sucking eggs recently too but I guess I need to stay away from A-Zone. Link me to a good brother! To the relays that is.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
riverhog14 said:

You must be from the south because I understand it.But the 5 amp fuse won't get it and the connection to the cig. lighter will blow a 15 amp fuse every time. Serious lights need to be connected to the battery direcctly. And switches and relay and fuses and and and and just do it right.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
bray said:
I use 20's & 30's for 100w lamps but what do I know? My relays seem to be sucking eggs recently too but I guess I need to stay away from A-Zone. Link me to a good brother! To the relays that is.
well, a 55w bulb draws 4.6a constant current but can spike a lot more at start up. 100s pull 8.4a.

find some Bosch relays.
Wrangler is a good source of electrical stuff
www.wranglernw.com (ask for Stan and mention ttora)
but I don't remember what brands they carry.
Daniel Stern has the Bosch, however
www.danielsternlighting.com/
I use a 20a breaker for one pair of 100s and a 15a for a single 100w driver. All other 55w pairs get a 15a fuse or breaker

tapping into the cig ligher as a 12v source to the switch is just fine. I run 3 different sets of lights off just the parking light hot lead alone. This is a very low power draw as long as you use relays correctly.
my driving lights (3) are hooked into the hi-beam circuit and all other lights, rock, rear and top/side are switched by the parking light 12v source. I can run everything on at once with no issues (160a Wrangler alternator ;))

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
11 Participants
Tanto
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing