TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just gave me 16 3" body lift pucks and all of the extended bolts, washers, and nuts and I have a friend making me a shifter expension. What else do I need for a body lift? I plan on ordering bumper brackets this weekend, but do I need a steering extension or gas line extension or anything? and if so where can I buy them by themselves

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'd check out 4crawler.com, ive been doing a lot of reading there to see exactly what i need for the BL im considering. Lots of good info :kewl:

·
Registered
391 Posts
you need a steering extension, and radiator brackets.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
just go type in body life to any site and check out pics and see what your missing. I know you will need steering stuff

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
blackbear said:
you need a steering extension, and radiator brackets.
You don't need radiator brackets. The radiator simply drops down into a set of holes below the stock ones. It's almost like Toyota designed the rad. core support for a 3" BL. :D

Regarding additional brackets for your bumpers, you will just need metal plates for the front. Drill 2 holes that match the position of the stock mounts then go 3 inches up and drill 2 more. I've got a set left over after I installed my CBI. Just pay shipping and they are yours if you want them. For the rear you flip over and swap the brackets to the other side. 1 bolt will line up. You will have to drill the other.

For your gas filler tube, you will need to extend the overflow/return hose. I forget what size it is but you can just pull it off and take it to your local auto store and they should be able to cut a hose just like it to any length you need. If you don't feel like extending your line you can just take off the plastic peice that holds the gas filler tube to the body and let it sit inside. That's how I left mine because I was too lazy to extend my filler.

By the way, what do the pucks look like? Black or white? Also, do you have any pucks that are wider than the others? How wide are they? These should be used for your body. If they are black and all the same size, chances are that you have a crappy PA lift. I would HIGHLY suggest that you order just the cab pucks from 4crawler. They are just larger and therefore correctly sized. People have had PA pucks go through the floorboards because of their incorrect size. I haven't heard of this happening with 4crawler pucks so it makes me feel better about mine.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You also should put in some bed supports, they can be had from 4crawler as well.

Interex, are you sure about swapping the bumper brackets? I know that works for a 2" BL but I don't think it'll work for a 3". If you did it then nevermind, I just couldn't get it to work so I just made brackets like the front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all of the pucks are black and the same size i believe. I don't mind making some custom brackets for my bumper and radiator. My truck is a 2002, and I'm just confused on what I need to buy so that I can drive it. I know I need a steering extension but I'm not sure what kind and I'de like to buy the gas line extension but I'm not sure what kind either, thanks for the help

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
You need to buy a proper body lift that won't give you any problems.

All of them shouldn't be the same size. I think the ones for the bed are a little smaller...

-Phill

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Brandon said:
Interex, are you sure about swapping the bumper brackets? I know that works for a 2" BL but I don't think it'll work for a 3". If you did it then nevermind, I just couldn't get it to work so I just made brackets like the front.
Yes, actually it will only work for a 3" BL from what I can tell. I've done 3" BLs on 2 Tacomas and we've flipped/swapped the rear brackets. It's a tight fit with 3" so I'm wondering how it would work with 2" unless there was some trimming of the bracket?

freestylemxr said:
all of the pucks are black and the same size i believe. I don't mind making some custom brackets for my bumper and radiator. My truck is a 2002, and I'm just confused on what I need to buy so that I can drive it. I know I need a steering extension but I'm not sure what kind and I'de like to buy the gas line extension but I'm not sure what kind either, thanks for the help
Asside from the pucks and bolts the only thing that you will NEED in order to drive your truck is the steering extension. You can go a couple of different routes with the steering extension. The PA kit uses a crappy extender that uses the splines of the steering shaft. It's a PITA to get on, there is a chance that your steering wheel will be off if it's not put on correctly, and I don't feel that the splines on it are very strong. The 4crawler kit uses a spacer that bolts in. It's 10 times easier to install and feel a lot more comfortable with it compared to the PA extender. 4crwawler will sell you his 3" extender for $40 . Here is some information on his extenders and what they look like: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml#SteeringExtension

As far as your gall filler extension, info can be found here: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Docs/BodyLift_HowTo.shtml#Hoses

NorcalPR said:
All of them shouldn't be the same size. I think the ones for the bed are a little smaller...
The cab pucks are larger (2.5"), all the other pucks for the bed and radiator core support are the same size (2").

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Interex
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing