TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please help me. I just bought a 2004 2.7 4wd ext. cab Tacoma and I am going to purchase a 3 inch suspension lift from Cornfed. I need to know if that lift will enable me to clear 33 inch tires on my 16 x 7 stock alumunum alloy rims? Cornfed suggested 265/75/16's that are 32 inches but I found some 255/85/16's BFG Mud Terrains that are 33 inches that will fit on a 16 x 7. Please if anybody knows I would really appreciate some good advice on this issue.I just need to know what will clear the 3 inch lift. Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
they say that 32s are the way to go, ive heard of people using 33s with just 3 inches but it rubs alot. they do the pinch weld and a couple other mods to help out, like cutting away the plastic on the bumper, etc... if you wanna run 33s you should just look in a 1 inch bodylift. its cheap and easy and will make your life alot easier. i got a 3inch toytec lift and im going to run 32x11.5 because it doesnt mess with gearing and rub and mileage and power and all that fun stuff. good luck, hope this helped a little.
-darren

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Snowtaco27 said:
Can somebody please help me. I just bought a 2004 2.7 4wd ext. cab Tacoma and I am going to purchase a 3 inch suspension lift from Cornfed. I need to know if that lift will enable me to clear 33 inch tires on my 16 x 7 stock alumunum alloy rims? Cornfed suggested 265/75/16's that are 32 inches but I found some 255/85/16's BFG Mud Terrains that are 33 inches that will fit on a 16 x 7. Please if anybody knows I would really appreciate some good advice on this issue.I just need to know what will clear the 3 inch lift. Thanks!

way back when, i had that combo, well 3" spacers and 285x75x16's so like a 33x11.50 or so. with the stock wheels you will probably rub the frame a little at full lock (doesnt hurt anything) or depending on the tires you may rub the upper A-Arm a tad. if you bought some wheels with a different backspacing it should take care of it. mabye something like 3.75" backspacing. but then im not sure if you would rub the rear fender much more than before :confused:
either way they will fit dont let anyone tell you other wise. however if your truck will pull them stock is a different story, with the stock V6, 5 speed, and 4.10 gearing my truck was OK with the 33's but sucked when i went to 35's.

·
Registered
269 Posts
seth_js said:
I run a 3" suspension and 285/75-16's (33's) on the stock rims. As zszac111 said, you only rub on the frame a little when you crank the wheel all the way left or right.
Got pictures? I always wanted to see 33's mounted on stock rims. I never knew that was possible (well, I was influenced by a guy at Discount Tires :p )

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
Got pictures? I always wanted to see 33's mounted on stock rims. I never knew that was possible (well, I was influenced by a guy at Discount Tires :p )

here is some picture, it makes me sad to see my truck so clean without any dents and stuff so its going to cost ya for me posting this :D , hope this helps with your choice. thats 3" Cornbred spacers and 285/75/16's

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have 2.5 inch CF spacers now but am saving for some coil overs. I am gonna run the coilovers at 2" (to save the cv's) and get an RB 2" body lift and run 285/75's. I have a set of pro comp rims with 4" of back spacing so I don't expect to rub hardly any if at all. Some dude with a taco at my school has the fabtech coil overs cranked up all the way (prob about 3.5" of lift), sitting on 285/75's on some eagle alloys and it looked like he had a good amount of clearence all the way around.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Snowtaco27 said:
those are 33.1x10" which is taller than most 33s out there (32.8") (other than super swampers). You will definitely rub your frame rails at full-lock turns without going to different rims (with less backspacing). It won't be a big deal but it might drive you nuts for a while...did me...;)

with the 10" width they should tuck up into the fenders just fine but with the extra hight may tag the upper inner fender plastic when fully compressed. This happens rarely, however, like jumping your truck, etc. you will also need to do the "pinchweld mod" and trim some of the plastic on the lower part of your bumper.

with the '04 you should have either 4.30s (5-sp) or 4.56s (AT) so you should be "ok" gearing wise. But...you will notice a big power loss. If you, by some chance, don't have those gears and have 4.10s instead I wouldn't even bother with that tall a tire.

regear to 4.56 or 4.88 for best performance.

a tire that tall and skinny will look kinda funky so try one on first and take a good hard look ;)

Also be aware that spacer lifts do not maintain lift forever and will sag with time. So, your initial 3" will be closer to 2.5" in a short time. This is why most of us wind up with adjustable coilovers ;)

'00 2.7 5-sp 4x4 on BFG MTs, 33x10.50/15s, 4.88 gears

my advice: get the 265/75s

·
Registered
347 Posts
wow seth, those look pretty sweet, what tires are those? size? your running a 3" lift only? I didnt think I would like the look and planned on getting different rims but I think our rims look pretty good like that. Did you have to use any wheel spacers?

·
Registered
588 Posts
They are 285/75-16 Dick Cepek (Mickey Thompson) Fun Country II's.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/cepek_fcii.html

My buddy runs the same tire on the stock rim as well:

http://seth.phizz.net/misc/out_and_about/wickenburg_mountains_12-4-04/chas_truck_1.jpg

I run the Fabtech Performance coilovers cranked to prolly about 2.75" - 3" (not sure exactly). No body lift. No wheel spacers. Here are a couple more shots:

http://seth.phizz.net/misc/out_and_about/copper_creek_mining_district_12-15-04/truck_1.jpg

http://seth.phizz.net/misc/out_and_about/mazatzal_wilderness_area_12-18-04/truck_2.jpg

I am very pleased with the tire so far (as is my buddy). I finally got to try them out in some real mud yesterday (river crossings). They performed very well for an AT.

-Seth

Oh, and a local shop here always has them on special. Buy 3 get one free. Another nice incentive. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts