TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again
My son purchased a 3" pro comp susp system that was installed without a hitch except one. The front went together and looks great but the rear (add a leaf) did not apear to raise the vehicle more than a half inch or so. In past instalations, when installing the add a leaf, it was common practice to remove the overload spring (the bottom thick spring) so we followed that procedure with this system. Maybe that was wrong but, by leaving the overload spring in, we would not have had enough U-bolt length to comfortably clamp it to the axle (the kit did not come with new U-bolts for the rear).
Anyone instal one of these kits before? We have instructions for the front instalation but do not have instructions for the rear.

The instalation is on a 84 toyota pickup with 7' bed.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Your instalation sounds right. 99% of people putting in 1 AAL remove the overload spring. Since its an 84, the old leafs might have been totally shot so you got alot more lift in the front than you did in the back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. He doesnt have his drivers licence yet but, grandpa gave him the ol pickup for some summers work on the ranch last year and he has been fixing it up ever since. A few more months and he should be driving it around.
We havent installed the bottom spring but instead, I built him some 2" longer shackles for the rear which I think leveled things out nicely.
It has a lot of rust but, he's sure proud of it.
He's been cutting out the rust and replacing it with fiberglass so, it doesnt look very well. His intenstion is to get a complete rhino lining over the exterior after he gets his rear cut outs on and as much rust gone as he can get.

OH Yeah, we are still in the process of finishing up his home made roll bar too. He's been taking welding classes in high school and he has been using up all my wire in my welder ever since..LOL..

Anyhow, thanks for the responce.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Looks good for right now. I love the older pickups! I bet the longer shackles will put more unwanted stress on the leaves though causing them to sag even more. Are those the original leaf springs from 1984? If so, the above post #2 said it best. May want to think about replacing if so. That may net you another inch in the rear giving you that raked stance. Just a thought?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I dont understand how the extended shackles can add extra stress? I understand that the extended shackles will be subject to more stress but the springs too? Yes they are factory springs still and they had aftermarket overload helpers clamped to them too but we took them off. I think grandad hauled some feed for the cattle with it regularly and prolly put the helpers on it so he could get more loaded.
My kid only makes minimum wage still so purchasing rear springs will have to wait a while, he's got a lot of other plans for the truck so, the more life he can get from these springs will allow funds for other items. I will mention that they should be put on his upgrade list in the future when money allows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.