TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01' Tacoma Pre-runner 4x2 TRD V6 and in just a few weeks hopefully I'll be up a full 6"s and be ready for tires/wheels. I'm not positive about the style but know I'm going with a 15x10 wheel.

My question is should I go with a 32 or a 33 inch BFG T/A tire? I don't know that I'm up for a big loss in power and I don't think I have the $$ to regear. SO back to the question, how much difference will I see between the 32 and the 33? I'm talking speedo, power loss, looks, ect... I'm thinking I could be happy with the looks with a 32 and maybe not be off as much on my speedo and maybe not lose as much power. I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest... Please help! Any feedback welcomed... Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
with 6" its gonna look retarded on 32's, my 32's look too small with only 2.5" lift. without regearing the 33's will definately hurt power. if you have a V6 5spd it should be tolerable, while a 4cyl auto will be a dog. i wouldnt lift it until youre ready to regear. i say go with 33's, but stick with an 8" rim. the 10" rim will rub more, wear stuff out faster, and will roll beads more easily. as far as the speedo goes, on my 04 the spedo read about 5mph faster than i was going, and with the 32's it reads about 2mph over. so with 33's it should read a little under your actual speed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have a ball park figure for regearing the rear diff? It's a 2wd auto.

Is this a do it yourself project or only for the pros? Know anyone good in the Dallas area?

I think I want 33's and to regear it too... I need to figure what to regear it to also.

Thanks,

J

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
hmm...basic one diff regear should be near $300for parts and close to the same for install.shop around.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in those pics in your sig your rig is on 32's with 2.5 of lift??? I think it looks pretty tight... Are your wheels 15x8 and if so what is the offset? It looks like I could deal with that width... I like for it to look PHATT! That's why I'm determined to go with the 15x10's. Most of the trucks I see on 8" wheels look all tall and skinny to me and they don't stick out hardly at all if any. Is there a 8" wheel that will give me the beefy look I want?

P.S. - It's a street rig, I hope not to get any rolled beads either way I go! :)

Thanks for your advice,

J

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
txtaco1: Why arent you getting on the Texas board and getting with thegroup in DFW? We have a WAT every other week or so. You could jump in, learn about Tacoma's, and join us on some wheeling trips. We have a legal, local off-road spot in Mineral Wells we hit about once a month that is PreRunner friendly. And there's atleast 6 trucks in the local club that have the tire/lift combo's your asking about.

Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don't know!!! LOL!!! I ran into you guys along time ago when they just happened to be having a meeting at the Papa's BBQ place with all of the Land Cruisers and YJ40's.

I checked out the texas board a little but it seemed kinda of screwed up after this new format... I'll check it out, I wanted to come to the december 04th meet but, the wife and I left that day for a week in Curacao. I would like to come to the next one, I read about the last meet out at Mineral Wells a few weeks ago. Isn't that down torwards Shreveport LA?

Thanks for the offer and making me feel welcomed! I'll definatly check it out.

Jason

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is the Texas Board supposed to still look like the old Delphi site? I think that's what screwed me up!

Jason

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yea the Texas board is still using Delphi.
We post all local runs and get togethers on the Texas board. If your near the North side of Dallas most of our get togethers should be close for you. We usually wrench in Carrollton, and our monthly meetings are at Hooters in Arlington near Six Flags.
Mineral Wells is 30 minutes past Fort Worth towards Abilene, we play on a closed Army Air base (Fort Wolters) it has mud holes, hill climbs, and trails. Perfect place to try out a PreRunner or stock truck, and theres challenging stuff for modded trucks.
There should be a post for the January meeting on the Texas board soon, look forward to seeing ya there.
Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, I'll look forward to it.. I haven't had my truck in the mud since like a week after I bought it I went out to that little place at 360/183 over by AA in Arlington...

So what's up on the wrenching in Carrolton??? DO you all just get together when someone needs some help or is it a members house or what... That sounds cool! I live in condos so can't hardly lift the hood without complaints. I have to go to dads house and borrow the driveway to wrench on mine. I'm in the downtown area so Arlington or Carrolton are about the same distance. Have a good one! Thanks again.

Jason

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Chris (valkyrie610) is gracious enough to offer his garage and experience when members need to do work, and we usually post on the board and get a group of volunteers to assist.
Be careful if you go back out to 360/183, their back to ticketing trucks over there.
Tim

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
If you're dead-set on 6" of lift, get 33s, but you must regear as well, unless you have gears lower than 4.10, which might make it tolerable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the TRD and have been told that all TRD's have 4:10's... I like the performance out of my truck now so think I will want to regear to keep that after going to the 33's... Is 4:56's what I'll want if I go with 33" BFG's?
I would also assume that I wouldn't have to have it done immediatly but, that I'll want it done pretty soon after moving up?

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
4.10s shouldn't be too bad (they are a helluva lot better than my 2.7L and 3.58s). I regeared before I even tried to run the 33s. The tires sat for almost a month until I could afford the gears and install.

4.56s should be ideal for all-around driving with 33s.

It won't matter when the gears go in, as the performance won't wait to disappear :)

Do the gears at the same time if you can or shortly there after.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When is the next meet in Carolton, I am planning a weekend trip up to Lewisville mid Jan anyways and would like to stop by.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
txtaco1 said:
I have an 01' Tacoma Pre-runner 4x2 TRD V6 and in just a few weeks hopefully I'll be up a full 6"s and be ready for tires/wheels. I'm not positive about the style but know I'm going with a 15x10 wheel.

My question is should I go with a 32 or a 33 inch BFG T/A tire? I don't know that I'm up for a big loss in power and I don't think I have the $$ to regear. SO back to the question, how much difference will I see between the 32 and the 33? I'm talking speedo, power loss, looks, ect... I'm thinking I could be happy with the looks with a 32 and maybe not be off as much on my speedo and maybe not lose as much power. I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest... Please help! Any feedback welcomed... Thanks.

Jason
33s with that lift. find someone near you with 33s and a stock geared v6. The power loss might not be as bad as you think. me? it would drive me nuts; but thats just me ;)

get the 33s, live with the power loss and save up for new gears...4.56s...when you can.

get with the Tx guys, especially Chris in Dallas; they will treat you right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless I run into some $$ I think that's going to be the plan... I'll eventually get with Chris to see what it's going to cost for some gears.

Thanks,

J

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
txtaco1 said:
Thanks Thomas! Good looking rig by the way... I like the look with a shell.

Jason
No problem, don't mention it!

Thanks for the compliments! I had to get the shell for moving to Utah for college, but it has still been useful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts