TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinknig about getting 33x12.5's. Under my current insurance plan, I cannot have any type of lift on my vehicle, so I am wondering who has tried this, and how well it has worked? I understand that I will need to trim my fenders and I'm fine with that. I just want to know how well it works with no lift, and also how much power I will lose? From reading other's posts, power loss won't seem to be bad, but I want to hear what you guys have to say. I currently have a '96 Taco with 31x10.5's, V6 manual. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
587 Posts
MattsTaco3 said:
I am thinknig about getting 33x12.5's. Under my current insurance plan, I cannot have any type of lift on my vehicle, so I am wondering who has tried this, and how well it has worked? I understand that I will need to trim my fenders and I'm fine with that. I just want to know how well it works with no lift, and also how much power I will lose? From reading other's posts, power loss won't seem to be bad, but I want to hear what you guys have to say. I currently have a '96 Taco with 31x10.5's, V6 manual. Thanks for any help!

I would at least try to get some OME 880 springs for the front with some stock looking longer shocks, your insurance company probably won't be able to tell the difference since they provide about 1.5 inches of lift and they will only make your truck level.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:doh:

what insurance u have?

u thought about 32s?

why stuff that big tire in there?

chris= :confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CWest said:
:doh:

what insurance u have?

u thought about 32s?

why stuff that big tire in there?

chris= :confused:

I forgot to mention...my friend has some 33's with about 1/2 tread that he'll give me for almost free

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
MattsTaco3 said:
I forgot to mention...my friend has some 33's with about 1/2 tread that he'll give me for almost free
well give er a go, can't hurt to try, it would just suck to buy 700-800 dollar tires just to have to cut the shit outta your truck to make em fit, it would look better with some 32s with less cutting IMO, but to each his own.

Be sure to put up some before and after pics of the :saw: job. I wanna see!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Your first step should be reading your auto policy word for word. I'd be interested in seeing the exact wording in the exclusion that says that you can't "lift" the truck. If it is vague enough, taller tires may not be covered anyway, since the result of a "lift" is still the same. Also, I'm willing to bet that if there is an exclusion for modifying the suspension, there is almost guaranteed to have an exclusion for other kinds of modification of your truck, i.e. cutting stuff to fit larger tires.

It sounds to me like you may be confused over an exclusion to cover additional, after market parts.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Dunk said:
Why not!!!???

i guess your right, why not, your rig looks good, doesn't look like a hack job, so I guess if this is done right, it will be just fine, i just don't see the point in wanting to go so big and paying so much for em (but i see he might get em for free) with no lift and so much hacking, why not go with 32s?

What kinda wheelin do ya do? I see ya got some armor goin, so ya have to be out there a lot, but whats your main goal with these 33s?

And if your worried about insurance, why hack it up, won't they frown on that more then a mild lift? :confused: i dunno much about the whole insurance thing though.....

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
CWest said:
i guess your right, why not, your rig looks good, doesn't look like a hack job, so I guess if this is done right, it will be just fine, i just don't see the point in wanting to go so big and paying so much for em (but i see he might get em for free) with no lift and so much hacking, why not go with 32s?

What kinda wheelin do ya do? I see ya got some armor goin, so ya have to be out there a lot, but whats your main goal with these 33s?

And if your worried about insurance, why hack it up, won't they frown on that more then a mild lift? :confused: i dunno much about the whole insurance thing though.....

32s = less ground clearance.. so 33s..35s.. better option.. I run 35s with 3" of suspension lift.. no body.. just fine. If you wheel often money on tires and cutting is nominal compared to all the other stuff you will be spending money on.. and its part of the pay to play deal. I spend a lot of time in the rocks:) but Ill wheel anything.. just try to stay away from mud pits.. mud is evil!! My insurance is AAA they dont frown on it at all.. considering I pay extra for added coverage on all my add ons.. but.. I do all my own body work too.. so there ya have it...lol

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I've seen 35's on stock suspension...33's should be cake!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
lol, well i stand corrected :D

MattsTaco3... get er done, and lets see how she looks!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
You'll have much better luck with 33x10.50 ....

Also, I agree with what Stu said. Very likely, they won't cover the cost of any lift if the truck is damaged, but will still cover you and the truck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the only way i know of is to get some 17" wheels. then order some of the bushwacker cut out flares and get to hackin'. it should fit, but if you flex too much, you're gonna eat some metal. it would probably be cheaper to find a new insurance co.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
so it was never answered, why is modification not allowed? could it be possibly because you are still making payments on the vehicle and technically some bank owns it? in that case you have to be fully insured because it isnt completely yours?

if that is the issue, you should not be modifying it at all

·
Registered
414 Posts
jimbo74 said:
so it was never answered, why is modification not allowed? could it be possibly because you are still making payments on the vehicle and technically some bank owns it? in that case you have to be fully insured because it isnt completely yours?

if that is the issue, you should not be modifying it at all
Even that is probably not the case. I think what he is mistakeing is that he does not have extra coverage for additional parts. However, even a lift is likely to be covered since the parts are actually bolted to the vehicle and are a replacement of parts that originally came on the truck.

Example: Rock sliders = not covered.
new coils up front = covered.

If you are concerned and would just like to add additional coverage, just call your agent and ask what you need to do and how much the extra endorsement will cost. You don't have to worry about being questioned, or cancelled or anything like that. An agent's lively hood depends on your writing a policy with them, so they'll do everything in their power to keep you insured with them. Don't be afraid of your agents people.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The deal with our insurance: Currently I'm in college and still under my parent's plan. We have Nationwide and I used to have a Jeep with 4" of lift and 33's. To make a long story short, my dad called and found out that our company will not touch any suspension mods. He called a bunch of other companies and found some that would, but it would nearly triple what I'm paying now, and being a poor college student, I couldn't pay that. So I sold the Jeep and got a Taco and beefed up the protection because I can't have a lift. I've payed the truck off, so I am allowed to add stuff like bumpers, just can't touch the suspension. That's why I'm trying to find ways around getting a lift, but helping ground clearance.

If anybody has any pics of 33's w/out lift on their truck, can you post them?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I work for Nationwide. PM me your policy number and I'll find out exactly what you can and can't do for you. What state are you in?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
woodchuck said:
the only way i know of is to get some 17" wheels. then order some of the bushwacker cut out flares and get to hackin'. it should fit, but if you flex too much, you're gonna eat some metal. it would probably be cheaper to find a new insurance co.
What?..What does a 17" wheel have to do with this subject?..

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It seems like that with the added weight of your bumpers, a winch, and the fact that your truck is a '96 it could probably stand a new set of coils, leafs and shocks anyway. Just replacing your beat stock stuff with new stock would "lift" it at least an inch. I see absolutly no way that an insurance company could tell you that you can't replace your worn out, old suspension components. Just do it. Oh, and as was probably already said - Trails Less Traveled has a great write-up on going to 33's with no lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts