TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run 33's on my 96 tocoma regular cab manual it has 3.58's. I have searched and most people say it is bad, but not how bad. I have a few questions to clear that up.

Can i run it like that for maybe a year or less then get new gears.

Will it totally ruin my clutch?

What do i need to get to replace the 3.58 with 4.88 or 4.56? just the gears or do i need alot more?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Bad = suck ass

Uh... you need to fill out yer sig...

So we know what yer truck is... Motor size and all of that shiat...

cevinklark said:
You could... but you won't like it...

It will be harder on it... Not necesssarily ruin it...

What do i need to get to replace the 3.58 with 4.88 or 4.56? just the gears or do i need alot more?
Gears and an install kit... But you should have an experienced person set them up

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Setting up gears isn't your average DIY job. You can trash a set of gears pretty quickly if they aren't installed and setup correctly. The best thing for you to do is have a qualified shop do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wasn't going to do it, My dad friend are both mechanics. It seems that doing it yourself is a whole lot cheaper right? and what will it do to my gas mileage?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Cheap is not always the best thing...
You could always pull the 3rds and have a shop do them... It is possible to do them yerself... But if you get it wrong... it makes a nasty sound... LOL

Yer gas mileage is going to get worse with the 33's and holding on the gears...

·
Registered
41 Posts
cevinklark said:
I wasn't going to do it, My dad friend are both mechanics. It seems that doing it yourself is a whole lot cheaper right?
If you know what you're doing, doing it yourself is always cheaper. If you don't know what you're doing, doing it yourself can be very expensive. It just depends on the job.

·
Registered
518 Posts
What motor?!?! 4.88's are the way to go. 3.58s and 33's would probably make you had driving your truck.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What size tires do you have now? I couldn't handle them with 31's!!!
I mean I had to either downshift for a headwind or get up to 95 mph so my rpm's were in the correct range. I would guess you will ruin your clutch in a few months. Could be wrong though. I'm assuming you're on the 2.7L.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got a reg cab 2.7 with 265/75/16's that are roughly equivelent to 32's and i'm running stock 358 gears. My truck isn't too bad around town but is noticeably worse on the highway. I hardly have to use 5th gear at all unless i'm cruising at 65mph or faster. I want to switch out my gears as well when i get some money and find a good used set. My clutch is fine and i don't have to ride it at all to get rolling. The switch to second gear requires slipping the clutch a little if you have to slow down between shifts. I think 33's might be a pain, but could be done if you had to for a little while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my bad, i have a 2.7L. It has 28's now.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
rosscopeeko said:
I hardly have to use 5th gear at all unless i'm cruising at 65mph or faster.
You make it sound as if using 5th is an inconvienence... LOL

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
cevinklark said:
my bad, i have a 2.7L. It has 28's now.
JMO... I wouldn't do the tire swap until you do the gear change...

Are the tires yer currently rolling on worn out ?

If not... Buy all the stuff you need and then do the swap when the gears are done...

Yer going to need to do more to fit 33's then just regear... You need at least 3 1/2" of lift (ie... 2 1/2" suspension lift... and additionally a 1" Body lift)... and a bit of fender work...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
TacoDell said:
JMO... I wouldn't do the tire swap until you do the gear change...

Are the tires yer currently rolling on worn out ?

If not... Buy all the stuff you need and then do the swap when the gears are done...

Yer going to need to do more to fit 33's then just regear... You need at least 3 1/2" of lift (ie... 2 1/2" suspension lift... and additionally a 1" Body lift)... and a bit of fender work...
Depends what 33 he's gonna run :). i'm at 2.25, but then again, they're 255/85's :cool: But Dells recipe for 33x12.5 is right on.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
cevinklark said:
I want to run 33's on my 96 tocoma regular cab manual it has 3.58's. I have searched and most people say it is bad, but not how bad. I have a few questions to clear that up.

bad, as in REALLY rediculously bad! Unbelievably bad, sucks like you can't even imagine....etc.

yes, you will most likely have to replace your clutch in a year...if it even lasts that long.

4.56s will get you to "stock' performance but 4.88s will be better on the trail and in town.

3.58s and 33s with a 5sp means you forget you have a 5th gear and starting from a stop (1st gear) is like starting in 2nd gear with a stock truck.

any more questions? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
TacoDell said:
it pretty much is. i only have 32's with the same gears and unless i am over 55 i don't bother. running 33's is doable intown for sure but freeway, don't try to pass anybody unless you have a running start.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
TacoDell said:
taconasty said:
it pretty much is. i only have 32's with the same gears and unless i am over 55 i don't bother. running 33's is doable intown for sure but freeway, don't try to pass anybody unless you have a running start.
I just don't get that...

All for what... bigger bling tires and to do what with that ? Hmmm

:shame: Fix yer junk already...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts