• 33x12.50x15 Kumo MT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Poll" category hasn't been used in a while and I don't think I've ever posted one. So here goes and let's have some fun with it!!

So I bought this "el-cheap'o" lift. Rough Country 3" that included complete set of springs, shocks, u-bolts, bushings etc... for $319 plus shipping. Not bad. If there's a better deal out there please don't tell me. :p This will have to hold me over till I can do better...

It's going on "BR", an '85 Truck. For those of you who don't know who BR is see the following link of mild mods. http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97216

BR still has to live life as a farm truck, spare truck, dd truck, wheelin' truck, yard work truck, haul the trash off truck. Maybe one day he'll be a dedicated wheelin' truck but until then this is the stage he's at.

I'm looking at two brands of tires and two tire sizes. Mainly because I've heard good of both and they are fairly close in pricing.

Kumo RV MT's

and
Maxxis Big Horn

And the size options I'm looking at are:
33x12.50x15
and
35x12.50x15

I intend on buying locally for personal reasons. Pricing is close, so don't vote based on $$$.

I suspect most folks are going to vote 35's... but as you know, a 22r struggles enough with 4.10's. It needs lockers BAD so gearing is definitely in the future for BR but that could be a while. Also, sheet metal modifications are an option so no worries there. I've seen 0" lift '85 T4R with 37's on it! :eek: Not that I want to be that extreme with the sheet metal!!

So, what would you do? Vote accordingly and comments appreciated.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I like my Km2s better, but i never really had a problem with the bighorns...isnt BR's tcase geared? If it is definitly 35s

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
kumo's are really thin side walls, felt some that come into blairs shop to get mounted.... really flimsy

·
Registered
14 Posts
My vote is 33" bighorns! You're not gonna like ridin' on 35's I just know it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you get the 35's you can tell Joy you messed up and got bigger tires than you should have, now you have to re-gear. And everyone knows if you re-gear you should go ahead a get lockers.;)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I'm looking for some 35 x 10.5's but unfortunately our options for this size are few and far between. I'd go with the 35's and we will keep wishing for 10.5s.
basically 2 tires.... boggers and ssr's......

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm looking for some 35 x 10.5's but unfortunately our options for this size are few and far between. I'd go with the 35's and we will keep wishing for 10.5s.
since you swap tires around for the trips y dont ya just get a set of 35x10.5 bogger ;)

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Humm... 9 votes for the Maxxies. 8 for 35's and 1 for the 33

So, how much hackin' do ya'll think it will take to fit the 35's with only 3" of lift? Haven't heard much about that...

I also have a pair of these axle relocation plates. Moves the axle forward or back from 3/4" up to 1". Figured I'd use them up front to get the axle further away from the firewall. Then bash the pinch weld in.

Ya'll think I'll have to trim the wheel well openings front and rear??????????

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you should add the KM2's to your list. They are very competitive in price. You'll find most places will price match too :)

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/bf+goodrich/35%2F12.50-15+bf+goodrich+mud+terrain+ta+km2+++n%2Fa.html
Holy burning rubber tire man, that's a hot deal!! Didn't know you could buy them that cheap! Sheeshh... I may have to modify the Poll. But then ya gotta have then shipped, installed, balanced blaa blaa... might be able to use the pricing as leverage at the local shop though. (it's never apple to apples in my world it seems :rolleyes:)

Hey, thanks for all the input everyone!! :) Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I voted kumho's because there wasn't an option for 34 10.5 ltb's, and because 88cleve doubted anybody would vote for them. The kumho's do have a weak sidewall...i know because i cut one, but they did perform well on soggy trails and pavement.

KM2's in the 35'' flavor are my first choice tho!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would poney up and get the KM2s. I ran them for a while before my truck got crushed, and they were great on and off road.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Goodyear Duratrac's:D I dont know what the price is compared to the others, but there is a thread on the national board about them and the sound like some awesome all around tire. That is what i plan to get once i need new tires. I vote for 35's no matter what tire you go with though. If you can do it, than why not?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i like my bighorns alot as well. i vote for 35" bighorns, especially since its not your dd. love the bighorns so far, and honestly i got them over bfs b/c my old bfgs i wasnt too impressed with, and since every other person has km2s i like to have something different than everyone else.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
also if you dont have a place picked out to get the bighorns from yet, and dont mind a bit of a drive, hit up dallas tire, they are extremely nice guys over there and had the best price.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
25 Participants
gregers05
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing