TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to lift my 04' Tacoma with a total or 4" lift on the front and 3-1/2" of lift on the rear. First of all I was wondering if I am going to be able to run BFG MT's 285/75R16 without rubbing very badly. The truck will not be taken off road too much, it will be mostly driven on the street for daily use. I was also wondering If so will I need to regear my truck or will it be alright without regearing? It will be on the highway for most of the time so regearing may be a must. My truck is a 04' xtracab 4x4 (no TRD) 3.4 v6 5-speed. I can handle a little bit of power loss, but if my RPM's are going to be high on the highway then I am going to have to regear. Also how much can I expect my gas mileage to decrease, 2-3mpg or more?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I say you will be fine with the amount of lift and not rubbing if you are mostly on the street, offroad though with flex i bet it will rub. You might need to do the pinchweld mod anyways (no big deal). As far as gearing, when i went to 33x12.5x15's i geared to 4.88. I am a 4cyl. tho. For you i'd recomend gearing to 4.56 for sure. On the highway your rpms will actually be lower with big tires and stock gears, the reagearing will put you into a more "usable" power band. I sit at 3100 going about 70 and 3900 going 80. High i know but that is what i need with my 4banger. You will notice significatnt mpg loss, when i went to 32's origionall i dropped about 4mpg. Then w/gearing and 33's i am getting about 18 around town and 19 on the highway.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
you can get alway without regearing...but you will feel the lost of power...gas mileage etc..where do you live in charlotte? i live in the south part in ballentyne...but i go to Myers Park..

i'm just wondering...seeing new people from charlotte on this board is good..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have faced the fact that I am going to have to regear if I have this setup, but how much is the question. I am guessing it will cost anywhere from 400-700 to regear,right?? Also when I do regear will I basically see the same performance and same RPM's through all of the gears? Also will the gas mileage be a little more reasonable after I regear (15-18mpg)?? One more question, will it be alright if I do not regear right away and mabey wait 2-4 months or will I need to regear right after I get the tires and lift on?
-Thanks for all the help guys-

04RedLobster- I live on Lake Wylie and go to Butler, I know a couple of people that go to myers park, mabey we could meet up sometime.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Tacoma418 said:
I am getting ready to lift my 04' Tacoma with a total or 4" lift on the front and 3-1/2" of lift on the rear. First of all I was wondering if I am going to be able to run BFG MT's 285/75R16 without rubbing very badly. The truck will not be taken off road too much, it will be mostly driven on the street for daily use. I was also wondering If so will I need to regear my truck or will it be alright without regearing? It will be on the highway for most of the time so regearing may be a must. My truck is a 04' xtracab 4x4 (no TRD) 3.4 v6 5-speed. I can handle a little bit of power loss, but if my RPM's are going to be high on the highway then I am going to have to regear. Also how much can I expect my gas mileage to decrease, 2-3mpg or more?
Thanks
Here is what I had to do with 3.5" of lift:

You will most likely be able to get away without notching the bumper, but you will probably have to ound your pinch weld flat. You may rub a little hitting speed bumps and driveways at good speed or while turning. other than that, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Tacoma418 said:
I have faced the fact that I am going to have to regear if I have this setup, but how much is the question. I am guessing it will cost anywhere from 400-700 to regear,right?? Also when I do regear will I basically see the same performance and same RPM's through all of the gears? Also will the gas mileage be a little more reasonable after I regear (15-18mpg)?? One more question, will it be alright if I do not regear right away and mabey wait 2-4 months or will I need to regear right after I get the tires and lift on?
-Thanks for all the help guys-

04RedLobster- I live on Lake Wylie and go to Butler, I know a couple of people that go to myers park, mabey we could meet up sometime.
yeah you'll be fine...regear is gonna cost a little more than 700...it can run up to 1000 or even more... you gotta shop around for the best price..i'm planing on getting 33" tires now...with about 4" of total lift...3 suspension 1 BL...and i think i can bare it...may regear later to 4:88

This guy Bryan is going to kure Beach, nc feb 12-13th and i'm planing to tag a long...he helped me install the spacers...and i'm hoping a lot of people show up.... you should go..

later Thomas

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think even without regearing youll be able to get 15 in town. I have a 4 banger with 430 gears and im thinking aboutgoing to 33's too knock down the rpms on the highway some. I commute back and forth to college every day on the interstate and even though its not but a little drive, i found out that anything over 65 and my MPG goes down quick. I like to run about 75-80 and my RPM's are 3000+. I forgot who it was but they said the 33's aloowed them to get 18mpg on the highway because they dropped the rpms down into the good mpg range with a higher speed so instead of running at 3300-3400 at 75 they were running 2600-2700 rpm range.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My regear cost 600 for parts: precision gear 4.88 front and rear plus master install kits. Then labor was 200 per diff and that was with me pulling the 3rd members and taking them in myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 04 is lifted 4 inches now. 2inch body and 2 inch front coilovers and 2 inch rear leaves. I drove it for a couple months on the street w/o the body lift. With just doing the pinch weld mod. I also run 285/75/16's the backspacing on the rims are 4inch. As far as regearing I have not done it because it is very liveable. And the speedo is more dead on than stock. As for the body lift I put it on for more clearance after my first drive offroad. Go with at least 4 if you plan to run in the dirt and rock. HTH Mark ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
SilverTaco said:
I think even without regearing youll be able to get 15 in town. I have a 4 banger with 430 gears and im thinking aboutgoing to 33's too knock down the rpms on the highway some. I commute back and forth to college every day on the interstate and even though its not but a little drive, i found out that anything over 65 and my MPG goes down quick. I like to run about 75-80 and my RPM's are 3000+. I forgot who it was but they said the 33's aloowed them to get 18mpg on the highway because they dropped the rpms down into the good mpg range with a higher speed so instead of running at 3300-3400 at 75 they were running 2600-2700 rpm range.
I've got the 4-banger 5-speed with 4.30s. When I went to 33's I totally believed I would get better fuel economy due to the "overdrive" effect. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. My mileage dropped from 19-20mpg to 16-17mpg. While I did run lower RPMs at lower speed, I lost overall mileage due to the fact that my engine had to work harder to get up to highway speed. Take it with a grain of salt, but running 33s will likely decrease, not increase, your fuel economy.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SilverTaco said:
yea, what elgecko said. I started out with 4.30s/31s stock getting 25+ on the hwy at 65 or less. That dropped considerably over 65. I went to 33s/4.56s and mileage went down to 18-19 @ 65. I regeared to 4.88s and in-town has gone way up, hwy is up to near 20 @65 or less, but, over 65 and the mileage sucks.

We drive boxes, not wedges. the faster you try to shove a box through the air the more energy it requires. At the speeds you are proposing there is nothing you can do to improve your mileage...other than slowing down ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
SilverTaco said:
33's and 4.30's is what i'll be running here shortly too

my interstate commuting is usually around 75-80 for most of my stretch, then a little stretch of doing 65

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've got a double cab, 3.4 trd, auto with revtek 3" lift and 285/75/16 pro comp X-Terrains. I only rub very slightly in some turns (in and out of parking lots only), just the inner fender liner. My mpg is 15-17 if I'm nice, if I speed alot (over 65) or do alot of passing it drops. I do feel I need to regear, but its by no means unbearable. You'll clear your tires no prob. Do it then save up and regear!

Steve

·
Registered
168 Posts
hytenor said:
yea, what elgecko said. I started out with 4.30s/31s stock getting 25+ on the hwy at 65 or less. That dropped considerably over 65. I went to 33s/4.56s and mileage went down to 18-19 @ 65. I regeared to 4.88s and in-town has gone way up, hwy is up to near 20 @65 or less, but, over 65 and the mileage sucks.

We drive boxes, not wedges. the faster you try to shove a box through the air the more energy it requires. At the speeds you are proposing there is nothing you can do to improve your mileage...other than slowing down ;)

All this is very true. They way i look at it though if im gonna get 16-17mpg either way because my driving......atleast i can have 33's instead of my lame wanna be 32's that are only 31's.! Which will make up for it! :xpimp:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SilverTaco said:
All this is very true. They way i look at it though if im gonna get 16-17mpg either way because my driving......atleast i can have 33's instead of my lame wanna be 32's that are only 31's.! Which will make up for it! :xpimp:
fersure, LOL when I first got my truck I wanted the 2.7 cuz it got better mileage...and stock, it did.

now with all the mods and body armor it gets worse than a stock v6! o well...shoulda just got the v6 ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
i have a v6 3.4 and dont ever plan on regearing. i have 3" toytec lift and want to get 33x12.5 , im sure ill do the pinch weld mod but do 33s mess up your transmission at all?? the power loss and mileage doesnt bother me at all. does anyone know about the tranny or other effects 33s might have??

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
how would it mess up the tranny? Do you mean any extra strain or something? If something happens to the tranny with 33's, it's either because something was going wrong, or the pilot did something to screw it up.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Tacoma418 said:
Thanks
If your mainly a street queen and strapped for cash just get the rear done and do w/o 4wd until you get more $ to get the front swapped as well.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
i have a v6 3.4 and dont ever plan on regearing. i have 3" toytec lift and want to get 33x12.5 , im sure ill do the pinch weld mod but do 33s mess up your transmission at all?? the power loss and mileage doesnt bother me at all. does anyone know about the tranny or other effects 33s might have??
other than a little faster clutch wear, no problems.

that 3" spacer lift won't get you into 12.50s though w/o some trimming along with the pinchweld mod. Add a 1" body lift and you shouldn't really have any issues on the street.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts