TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

first of all im not a newbie, i hate that i've had to start all over with the new website change :(

Im looking to get opinions. Im coming up on soon getting new tires.

Well as you see in my sig. i have the dreaded 3.58 gearing :xbarf:

and of course no money to regear yet.
i know im gonna take a "hit" by going up a 33" (im currently with 265's/31" balloon tires-so it won't be a BIG hit like coming from 29's) but im really wanting to go ahead and move up to the 33's.

my question is, would it help alieve some of the "hit" by using a 10.5 as opposed to a 12.5 or does the width really NOT make much of a difference? the only real reason im even considering a 12.5 is because i can of course actually get SOME 33x12.5's cheaper than the BFG AT or MT 10.5's.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
the 10.5 will have less rolling resistance than the 12.5 because of a smaller contact patch with the road, but i'm not sure how much of a difference it would be...it's gonna suck either way with 3.58's and a 4cyl. i hope you at least have a 5spd or your truck is gonna be a dog

·
Registered
203 Posts
First, I wouldn't do either size with 3" of lift. I'm assuming with the 3.56 gears you have the V6, you will notice power loss. Personnally I would go with 32's; less rolling resistance and power loss.

However, if you absolutely have to have 33's, then the 10.5's are a safer bet. You'll still rub at turns, speed bumps, etc. You could look into 33x9.5's, because I'm assuming you are running 15 inch rims on 7 or 6" width (stock?). I ran 33x9.5's on a bronco with 3.55 gears, but that's a different story. Another guy (with Expeditions West?) is running 235/85R16's with minimal lift, which are true 33".

Good luck, and always wear your flame suit!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've got 33x12.5's on mine and before i regeared i was at 4.10 w/a 4cyl 5spd and it was definately a dog. Couldn't even maintain speed on slight uphill's on the highway. I regeared to 4.88 and it was the best money I ever spent. But anyways, the difference in roling resistence etc. is minimal from a 10.5 to a 12.5 . The contact patch is obviously different but you won't have a noticably harder time rolling 12.5s than 10.5's. You are really going to be wanting to gear it though once u put these 33's on i guarantee, both for mpg loss and crappy daily driveability.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, she's a 5-speed............maybe soon to be a 4-speed :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KSdblcab said:
First, I wouldn't do either size with 3" of lift. I'm assuming with the 3.56 gears you have the V6, you will notice power loss. Personnally I would go with 32's; less rolling resistance and power loss.

However, if you absolutely have to have 33's, then the 10.5's are a safer bet. You'll still rub at turns, speed bumps, etc. You could look into 33x9.5's, because I'm assuming you are running 15 inch rims on 7 or 6" width (stock?). I ran 33x9.5's on a bronco with 3.55 gears, but that's a different story. Another guy (with Expeditions West?) is running 235/85R16's with minimal lift, which are true 33".

Good luck, and always wear your flame suit!
i've got 15x8 rims, i think with the offset i would be fine for fitment or atleast somewhat.....shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i may end up just going for a larger 31" or 32" :(

im torn on what do.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
Well as you see in my sig. i have the dreaded 3.58 gearing...

my question is, would it help alieve some of the "hit" by using a 10.5 as opposed to a 12.5 or does the width really NOT make much of a difference? the only real reason im even considering a 12.5 is because i can of course actually get SOME 33x12.5's cheaper than the BFG AT or MT 10.5's.
My truck had the 3.58s from the factory, with a 2.7L and a 5-spd. With 265/75R16s it was a dog. It labored getting up to speed from a dead stop.

I only have 3" of lift, but decided I wanted 33x12.50s for ground clearance purposes. I bought some wheels from a friend, bought some tires, and ordered 4.88 gears and install kits. The gears went in and the difference was ridiculous to say the least.
Even with the 33s on, the power is still great, especially for the 4-cyl.
After my experience, I can't recommend 33s and 3.58 gears, or even 265/75s and 3.58 gears. 4.56s for better highway running or 4.88s for trails is all I can recommend for 33s.

Do it all at once is what I learned. I could still use more lift, but cutting will suffice.

That's my $0.02

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AK98Taco said:
My truck had the 3.58s from the factory, with a 2.7L and a 5-spd. With 265/75R16s it was a dog. It labored getting up to speed from a dead stop.

I only have 3" of lift, but decided I wanted 33x12.50s for ground clearance purposes. I bought some wheels from a friend, bought some tires, and ordered 4.88 gears and install kits. The gears went in and the difference was ridiculous to say the least.
Even with the 33s on, the power is still great, especially for the 4-cyl.
After my experience, I can't recommend 33s and 3.58 gears, or even 265/75s and 3.58 gears. 4.56s for better highway running or 4.88s for trails is all I can recommend for 33s.

Do it all at once is what I learned. I could still use more lift, but cutting will suffice.

That's my $0.02
while im in total agreeance with 3.58's NOT being ideal for anything over a 27"-29" tire im wondering if the higher elevation has had an effect on your truck.

now with the 265/75/15's(pretty wide ones at that) i have from time to time on a more pronounced hill on the interstate it wants to drop slowly but then some days it's like my truck is in a good mood and it handles the hills fine. BUT it definately isn't slouchy from the get-go. she'll get up and go pretty quick........ and this is not coming from someone who's ignorant to quick cars :D

in any case re-gearing is definately a must down the road.

im eventually aiming for 5"-6" lift total and 35x12.5x15's on 15x8 wheels. with that i've decided on 4.88 gearing...... i don't think 5.29's would really be necessary for me.

those 31x10.5 Super Swamper Trxus' are looking better and better........ wish those came in a 32.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have 32s with 3.91s and it lags like balls. its bearable on the street though but it sucks when wheeling

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
while im in total agreeance with 3.58's NOT being ideal for anything over a 27"-29" tire im wondering if the higher elevation has had an effect on your truck.

now with the 265/75/15's(pretty wide ones at that) i have from time to time on a more pronounced hill on the interstate it wants to drop slowly but then some days it's like my truck is in a good mood and it handles the hills fine. BUT it definately isn't slouchy from the get-go. she'll get up and go pretty quick........ and this is not coming from someone who's ignorant to quick cars :D

in any case re-gearing is definately a must down the road.

im eventually aiming for 5"-6" lift total and 35x12.5x15's on 15x8 wheels. with that i've decided on 4.88 gearing...... i don't think 5.29's would really be necessary for me.

those 31x10.5 Super Swamper Trxus' are looking better and better........ wish those came in a 32.
The power sucked at sea level, too. Now the truck is much more capable of getting out of its own way.

Long hills, steep, and long and steep hills killed the truck before, but now it can accelerate up almost any hill, even on the highway.

I went with the 4.88s mainly because I can reuse them when my solid axle goes under the truck next fall and I'm running 36" IROKs, though I may need lower transmission gears or a crawler to regain crawlability. My truck is basically in its last phase of IFS build level. This is as big as it's getting without a D44 up front.

I think your idea to stick with 32s or wider 31s is a good plan. Then just save up for more lift, 35s, and gears.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose to go!

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
you will rub pretty bad with 33-12.50's & only 3" spacers for lift. I would go with the 10-50's if you can tolerate it being a total dog with your present gearing. I dont think the rolling resistance is that much different betwen the two.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
knoxtaco said:
you will rub pretty bad with 33-12.50's & only 3" spacers for lift. I would go with the 10-50's if you can tolerate it being a total dog with your present gearing. I dont think the rolling resistance is that much different betwen the two.
Mine rub more in the rear wheel-wells than they do up front, and I haven't done much to my pinch weld area. The rear will get cut maybe 1/2" to 3/4" and then be equipped with BW Cut-Outs.
The front needs pinch weld and front bumper cutting and then the BW Cut-Outs.

The 10.50s will definitely be better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i think im gonna stick to either a large(such as a true 31" diameter-Trxus) or a smaller 32(31.5ish) mainly cause of the money issue.

i know most of what's out there but feel free to throw me some suggestions........ i think im gonna do an MT of some sort or a very agressive AT like the Wild Country tires. i had BFG AT's before on my last tacoma but im gonna pass on those this go around me thinks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dunlop Mud rovers. 32x11.50. They run small and are very cheap. Something around 100$ a piece at Sams Club. I ahve 265/75/16 which are metric 32's and they measure only 31....that was a brand new tire. Any way i like them and they run small and are inexpensive. What else could i want?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SilverTaco said:
Dunlop Mud rovers. 32x11.50. They run small and are very cheap. Something around 100$ a piece at Sams Club. I ahve 265/75/16 which are metric 32's and they measure only 31....that was a brand new tire. Any way i like them and they run small and are inexpensive. What else could i want?

thnx, those are a consideration.

any pix you could send me of your truck?

if so my email is jbw4u(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
Hello,

first of all im not a newbie, i hate that i've had to start all over with the new website change :(

Im looking to get opinions. Im coming up on soon getting new tires.

Well as you see in my sig. i have the dreaded 3.58 gearing :xbarf:

and of course no money to regear yet.
i know im gonna take a "hit" by going up a 33" (im currently with 265's/31" balloon tires-so it won't be a BIG hit like coming from 29's) but im really wanting to go ahead and move up to the 33's.

since you have the 3.58s and don't plan on regearing stay far away from 33s of any kind. Even 32s will make your truck pull like a Yugo with 4 linebackers on board.

those gears are meant for 225 size tires, or 28s, so your performance will suck majorly. Even those 31s are too tall for that gear ratio. 4.30s (5-sp) and 4.56s (AT) are the current OE gearings for 31s with the 2.7.

save up for the regear and THEN get the taller tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will make you a good deal on some factory toyota 4.30 gears out of my 02 Tacoma. They are in great shape had less than 20000 on them when I changed them. My truck pulled 33's great with them. And as far as 10.50 on 12.50 you will never notice the difference. Let me know if interested in gears need to clean out my shop. [email protected]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jaygaboi said:
I will make you a good deal on some factory toyota 4.30 gears out of my 02 Tacoma. They are in great shape had less than 20000 on them when I changed them. My truck pulled 33's great with them. And as far as 10.50 on 12.50 you will never notice the difference. Let me know if interested in gears need to clean out my shop. [email protected]
hmmmmm, you got me thinking there. i think im gonna shoot you an email. i'd need a very good deal cause im broke.

anyways, it looks like im giving in cause i found a really good deal on some 33x10.5x15's BFG MT's.........less than 300 miles on them and $500 installed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the same drivetrain on mine and I'm running 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains. It's not horrible, but it does turn your truck into a 4-speed. I beat the pinch weld in with a hammer and trimmed a bunch of plastic and I don't get any rubbing on the road and minimal rubbing offroad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts