TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im tired of a harsh ride, tired of stuff wearing out, tired of bad gas millage, the list goes on. so ive decided to take my lift off and yes its already sold. onto my question, i have nearly brand new 33x10.50 and no luck selling them as of yet, i was wondering how much modification from a stock suspension setup would be needed to run 33x10.50 on a 15x7 enkei alloy with 4 or 4.25 back spacing? from what i read i would need a centerpin relocation plate for the rear to move the axle forward so the tires would clear the inside of the rear fender. and i know some pounding on the pinch weld will be necessary. other than that what will need to be done? btw tires are bfg a/t tread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,489 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
so im tired of a harsh ride, tired of stuff wearing out, tired of bad gas millage, the list goes on. so ive decided to take my lift off and yes its already sold. onto my question, i have nearly brand new 33x10.50 and no luck selling them as of yet, i was wondering how much modification from a stock suspension setup would be needed to run 33x10.50 on a 15x7 enkei alloy with 4 or 4.25 back spacing? from what i read i would need a centerpin relocation plate for the rear to move the axle forward so the tires would clear the inside of the rear fender. and i know some pounding on the pinch weld will be necessary. other than that what will need to be done? btw tires are bfg a/t tread.

pinch weld alone wont help you up front you will need to trim the fender and possibly tub the firewall .. Search for Jh3's post about cutting his fenders and tubing his firewall . he did an awesome job..

cut enough and you can put 35's under it

im on 3" spacers running 34 x 10.50 x 15 TSL LTB swampers on the stock 15x7 alloy rims. they rub upper A arm and frame rail at hard lock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
so im tired of a harsh ride, tired of stuff wearing out, tired of bad gas millage, the list goes on. so ive decided to take my lift off and yes its already sold. onto my question, i have nearly brand new 33x10.50 and no luck selling them as of yet, i was wondering how much modification from a stock suspension setup would be needed to run 33x10.50 on a 15x7 enkei alloy with 4 or 4.25 back spacing? from what i read i would need a centerpin relocation plate for the rear to move the axle forward so the tires would clear the inside of the rear fender. and i know some pounding on the pinch weld will be necessary. other than that what will need to be done? btw tires are bfg a/t tread.
what was so bad that you had to get rid of the lift?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99FlowedTaco said:
pinch weld alone wont help you up front you will need to trim the fender and possibly tub the firewall .. Search for Jh3's post about cutting his fenders and tubing his firewall . he did an awesome job..

cut enough and you can put 35's under it

im on 3" spacers running 34 x 10.50 x 15 TSL LTB swampers on the stock 15x7 alloy rims. they rub upper A arm and frame rail at hard lock.
firewall modification... i was trying to improve the truck by putting it back closer to stock.... maybe i should just take out a loan to get some 31's and then sell the 33's...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Portman said:
what was so bad that you had to get rid of the lift?
#1 ride was horrible
#2 gas millage sucked
#3 loss of power, cant pull the boat anymore
#4 tranny getting very hot (auto)
#5 kicking out of overdrive constantly
#6 everything in the truck rattles
#7 i have back pain, b/c of harsh ride
#8 i wasted enough money and i was constantly spending more, i got tired of wasting my money
#9 did i mention ride was horrible?
#10 im an industrial designer in school, the more i learn about mechanics and such the more i realized the damage it was doing to my truck, ie ball joint angles, leaf spring rates, stabillity of vehicle, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,034 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
i know somewhere down deep you wanna keep it the way it is a wheel it! Deckplate it and get an exhaust...it would help with the gas mileage!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
when i lifted my truck the ride and handling improved. maybe you should go back to stock size tires, i still have 31x10.50s on mine. that would help with mileage. why go through the hassle of fitting oversized tires? how much r u selling them for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
You had the 882's? Doesn't it say on wheelers site that they only reccomend those for double cabs or tacomas with heavy winches and front bumpers? Maybe you could try the 881's for a better ride. As far as losing power, bad milage, and your tranny shifting in out of overdrive you will still have those problems unless you regear, or go back to the stock size tire.
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
#1 ride was horrible
#2 gas millage sucked
#3 loss of power, cant pull the boat anymore
#4 tranny getting very hot (auto)
#5 kicking out of overdrive constantly
#6 everything in the truck rattles
#7 i have back pain, b/c of harsh ride
#8 i wasted enough money and i was constantly spending more, i got tired of wasting my money
#9 did i mention ride was horrible?
#10 im an industrial designer in school, the more i learn about mechanics and such the more i realized the damage it was doing to my truck, ie ball joint angles, leaf spring rates, stabillity of vehicle, etc...
see what happens when you are a wannabe? shoulda stayed stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
muddin taco : read my sig, flowmaster 50 dual exhaust, and yes i have the deckplate too...

rghouse : they were put on end of july of 02, just over 10k on them now. the tire shop where i purchased them said that asking 500 for the set was a good starting point for negotiations, PM me if you are interested.

ben76 : yes i read that, however when i talked to the OME/ARB ppl they said the 881 are the same spring rate just less lift so it wouldnt change ride quality.

KRYPTO : wannabe? i used my truck alot, just not the same ways i would assume u use yours. ill admit, im just a redneck who wanted a nice lookin truck with a little bit of lift. however im in college for industrail design and every class i learn more and more about mechanics, suspension geometry, etc. now i can see that the stock suspension was not made to do what the lift coils (or spacers or adj coils or any lift for that matter) pushes it to do. also the stock engine/tranny, diffs, etc were not build to turn 33's at stock. yes i know that i could make the truck more capable off road, and mostly better on raod but, but that would require more money than i have, or will have anytime soon (college is expensive)... thanks for you input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
Well, #'s 2,3,4 are still going to be a problem if you stick with the 33's unless you regear.
...and #5, 6, 8, 9, 10 will still be affected. Bigger tires = loss of power, worse gas mileage, puts more wear and tear on bearings, cv's, and such. The only thing the lift hurt was the "ride", but if you would have bought a good lift with some better suspension that wouldn't be a case either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i understand all of these reasons could be "solved" if i remove both tires and lift, or conditions improved if i spend more money. but back to tires, i spent a good amount on tires and hate to sell them for a loss, then hafta buy new tires in 31 size again. i was just curious what was involved in runnin the 33's for a while untill i found some used 31's at a good deal. however i have found a set of 30" tires that will get me thru for about 5000 miles or so, hopefully i can sell the 33's and then be able to purchase some cheapo or used 31's within 5k. thanks for all the input/feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
i understand all of these reasons could be "solved" if i remove both tires and lift, or conditions improved if i spend more money. but back to tires, i spent a good amount on tires and hate to sell them for a loss, then hafta buy new tires in 31 size again. i was just curious what was involved in runnin the 33's for a while untill i found some used 31's at a good deal. however i have found a set of 30" tires that will get me thru for about 5000 miles or so, hopefully i can sell the 33's and then be able to purchase some cheapo or used 31's within 5k. thanks for all the input/feedback.
Just put the 30s on and have your good mileage and ride that you are after. I bet you can sell your 33s for enough to buy a decent set of 31s. I'll see if I can start workin weekends for the extra cash to buy your 33s Adam.
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
lol college boy! i learned all that without blowing $ for tuition.
you are just being brainwashed at that school.
good luck to you tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KRYPTO(dale) said:
lol college boy! i learned all that without blowing $ for tuition.
you are just being brainwashed at that school.
good luck to you tho.
im learning it two, the hard way... puttin lift on, now taking it off... lol
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top