TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tires are 33x9.5 BFG All Terrains mounted on stock alloys. They arrived after a bit of a mixup with the truck freight. Mounted them, and they fit perfectly. I was able to to get out on some local trails and flex the suspension a bit - no rubbing. This is with about 2"-21/4" or so from the Tundra spring lift in front and an deaver aal and shackle in the rear. I am running these with the factory 4.10 gearing and there is plenty of power as far as I am concerned - I have the 5spd and 3.4.

Let me tell you, these tires ride VERY well. I am not sure if this is exclusively because of the narrow width and the BFG AT ride quality - I suspect a combination of both.

These tires, in this width have proved very, very impressive in the snow in comparison to the 32x11.5 Dunlop MTRS and the 31x10.5 Goodyear RT/Ss I had on before. They also have provided excellent mud/dirt traction in limited trail use.

Gas mileage - still early - but even with a taped together 02 sensor (broke when cleaning it) the truck is getting close to the same, or even a little better gas mileage then it was with the 32s! I think this can be attributed to the tire's relatively light weight at 39lbs its over 20lbs lighter than the bfg at 33 in the 12.5 width - and because there may be less rolling resistance because of the narrower width. I will keep on eye on this! :con:

To get the extra clearance and ride height, I definetly reccomend this size in the BFG AT or similair - even if you dont care for the looks of a narrow tire.

Judging by what I have experienced so far, the excellent snow performance, very good trail traction, and the opportunity to run a 33 (nad its clearance benefits) with limited amount of lift, I will be running these in the future.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shiprekd1 said:
looks good, but why not 33x10.50's..still tall and skinny but without the pizza cutter look...

jason

One reason is that I am running a fairly minimum lift from only tundra coils up front - I think have a little more than 2" of lift from the coils - and I didnt want any clearance issues, especscially on the trails. less weight and small MPG gains were also a consideration.

The second is I am a big skier and do lots of driving in snow and are looking for the increased snow performance from a narrower tire - further, other than looks I dont see much benefit from a wide tire - some views are supported here: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Thats about it! :)

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
I dig the pizza cutter look :D

BTW OP, can you post a straight on rear and frontal picture(s)? That'd be nice :cool:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
IMO, it looks great.

man, when i bought my 32" BFG's, i was thinking about the 33X9.50, which in fact at the moment was cheaper. But i was afraid about rubbing issues in the fenders, so bought the 32"s.

I think your truck looks great. And if performance is good, i guess you can live with the "looks", whatever that might be :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
GodwinAustin said:
One reason is that I am running a fairly minimum lift from only tundra coils up front - I think have a little more than 2" of lift from the coils - and I didnt want any clearance issues, especscially on the trails. less weight and small MPG gains were also a consideration.

The second is I am a big skier and do lots of driving in snow and are looking for the increased snow performance from a narrower tire - further, other than looks I dont see much benefit from a wide tire - some views are supported here: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Thats about it! :)
yes the pizza cutters are better in the snow!

jason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I like pizza cutters but not those BFG ATs. Not bad though, it looks like you have a mini flag pole running low mast in your truck bed in that first pic.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DentedTacoma said:
I like pizza cutters but not those BFG ATs. Not bad though, it looks like you have a mini flag pole running low mast in your truck bed in that first pic.
Well the BFG ATs are the ONLY 33 (or 32 for that matter) available in a narrow width (10.5 or less) for a 15" wheel, besides a superswamper or jungle trekker tire (simex) both of which are way too aggresive for what I need them for.

That flag is actually my neighbors flag and mast. We are the only two houses at the top of our hill and you can see that flag from a good distance away. :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
thanks for posting more pics.

i still like them a lot. it's amazing, when i look at the pics they don't really look like 33"s to me all.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
I guess Im used to it but they def look like 33's from the side in the 1st pic posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ben90 said:
thanks for posting more pics.

i still like them a lot. it's amazing, when i look at the pics they don't really look like 33"s to me all.
The 33" bfg AT's aren't really 33" in diameter. They are something closer to 32". I measured mine to be just under 32" with the weight of my truck on them, and I have read else where, and seen in gear ratio calculators 31.7" used to describe a bfg AT 33" tire.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've been thinking of running a 33x9.50 as a spare with 33x10.50 AT's.
They look good though, may go with that setup.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
va beach taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing