TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for new tires. I'm planning on going with the GY MTRs. I noticed the 35s are Load Range C. The weight rating is no problem, but I'm used to LR E tires so my gut feeling is a concern of their strength. I can't imagine Goodyear making a 35 that would not stand up to off-road abuse, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience.

Also, the 315/70/17s in the same tires are essentially the same dimensions, only 3 pounds heavier, and Load Range D. I would guess these couldn't be too much stronge, but I'm not a tire guy. Any thoughts here.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
No real discernible difference between the 2 other than load capacity. LR C will be a 6 ply sidewall and the LR D will be an 8. In terms of puncture strength I doubt you'll see a difference between those 2. The 315/75/16 (35") is a load range D. I myself ran 2 sets of those before moving up to the 37's (still a LR D) and haven't had any issues with the sidewalls.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Load range has nothing to do with survive ability off road. Load range specifically deals with vehicle weight and payload. The MTR is designed and made for off road use. IMHO there is no better tire for a dual purpose (street/trail) vehicle. I've run 35" MTR's for years, both the old design and now the new. This includes several runs out in AZ with their razor rocks that like to slice open the sidewalls of lesser tires. So far, I've never lost an MTR to trail damage.

[/B]
I'm in the market for new tires. I'm planning on going with the GY MTRs. I noticed the 35s are Load Range C. The weight rating is no problem, but I'm used to LR E tires so my gut feeling is a concern of their strength. I can't imagine Goodyear making a 35 that would not stand up to off-road abuse, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience.

Also, the 315/70/17s in the same tires are essentially the same dimensions, only 3 pounds heavier, and Load Range D. I would guess these couldn't be too much stronge, but I'm not a tire guy. Any thoughts here.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been told that higher load range letter basically means a stiffer tire. Stiff tires, as we know, are not as good off-road (generally speaking). If you never air down then there probably wont be any significant difference. Some tires you have no choice because there just are not many options.

I've read of a number of people losing sidewalls on MTR kevlars. Also read tons of good reviews. If/when I go to 37's, kevlars will be in the decision-making. I get the impression they are a fantastic multi-use tire but as a dedicated rock rig tire they may not be as tough as needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts