TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
First question is why? Why put a 350 in it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well first of all i am straight axling it so wont have to worrry bout cv's and why not put a 350 in it??? besides it is something different u rarey see neone with one. and i blew the yota motor and its gunna be cheaper to put a 350 in it. than put another yota engine in it. ust a little more work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Id say go for it. what tranny will you be using?

I myself havent seen a taco with a 350.
I use to have a 1982 Nissan Datsun that had 350 with the t56 tran. me and my friend ended up getting rid of it before we could see it fire. :(
+ the body was rusted up worthless.

·
Registered
606 Posts
well first of all i am straight axling it so wont have to worrry bout cv's and why not put a 350 in it??? besides it is something different u rarey see neone with one. and i blew the yota motor and its gunna be cheaper to put a 350 in it. than put another yota engine in it. ust a little more work.
Well, first off can you type in English? I am having a hard time making sense out of this crap.

Second, why not put a 350 in?

1. It adds a ton of weight to the front end.

2. In order to remain emissions legal in most states the motor you swap in must be of the same vintage as the vehicle it is being swapped into (eg, you need a 98 or newer 350 for a 98 Taco).

3. You will have to change the entire drive train to make it work.

The only Chev motor I would drop in is the LS1. It makes decent power, it is a late model motor, it is lighter than the engine it is replacing, and you can get decent mileage out if it as long as you go easy on the throttle. Personally, I would recommend doing a 4.0L swap out of a Lexus. It is a better fit for the vehicle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
more power to ya. I've been wanting to try an I Force for awhile, I'm just taking my sweet time putting the parts together.

But in why a 350? here's why

1. Umm more power, much more. If it adds more weight he only needs to compensate with stouter springs and by beefing up the frame. If the LS1 is lighter then its win win.

2. I have no agruement on the emisions part, but if you tear down and build a motor from scratch its new enough for what he needs.

3. He will not have to chuck his drivetrain. Putting a V8 in a Yota is not a new concept. Downey has adapters for 350's and 302's and using the stock trannys to boot. I too like keeping apples with apples and oranges with oranges by using Toyota v8's for swaps but understand that Taco drivetrains Can handle the power. Go for it and post the pics, make some more believers.

the cv's will hold even with a v8. SAS doesn't mean bullet proof. Random parts won't just genade on him

·
Registered
127 Posts
i have always wonderd about the i-force in a taco.. seems like an awesome concept if you could find a wrecked tundra.. wkubandit, are you going to go through with the i force swap in your truck? if you do it would be awesome to see some pictures and hear how it went, ive been curious about this for a long time but couldnt find too much info on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd love to hear about a v8(OEM though) swap into a Taco. I've searched but can't find anything. Someone said it was documented on the pirate forums or some 4runner forums but I never found it. If the 3.4L ever takes a shit on me...I'm goin Yota 8 cylinder for sure!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm looking for a wrecked Tundy now for the motor and harness/ecu. I realy want the 5 speed on it, or possibly a 6 speed. I really want the manual tranny. Other than possibly putting in a 2 inch body lift to give clearance I think I can pull it off with out too terrible much work. the wiring will be the bitch. I may just get a front clip section with everything it and transfer everything over.
I 've got a buddy thats Toyota mechanic and another friend thats a heavy equipment mech, and they really wanna take a crack at it. I'm just taking my sweet time getting everything together.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If they can put a V-8 in a Mazda Miata or a Furd Pinto, why not a Taco? I say go for it, prove everyone wrong and enjoy it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've seen plenty of S-10s with the 350 swap. I would rather see a 327 go in it though. I had a guy back in Colorado that had the 327 in his tacoma and it was freakin amazing. I do have a pontiac 400 you can throw in there... :D I don't think the Taco would handle it though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i did a s-10 350 swap 14 years ago, pretty simple. why not a 350, they are cheap reliable and the aftermarket is swarming with parts. if you get the ls1 aluminium block thats even better and with FI. probably easier to swap then a yota v8, maybe not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i put an older model 350 carburated in my 98 tacoma and it fits so. not being mean. but u can fit an older motor in the tacoma with no problem fits perfect like it belongs there. so i dont know who told u i have to have a newer model 350 when i dont and i ddi change the drivetrain it was all basically givin to me so woesnt worried bout money or nething like that got the motor in today and fired it up runs like a champ just gotta put clutch n tranny n t-case in and get driveshafts made n itll be headin down the road...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Excellent work. i look forward to seeing vid of it when its done. :xbeer1:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got he motor in last night n fired her up fired up like a champ. ran great gotta do a few more things n itllbe done

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
PICTURES VIDEOSS!!! i wanna hear it and see it bro!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what tranny should i use????? and transfer case.

and do u all think a 700r4 and np205 will fit under there. without much trouble???

and i was wonderin what i would have to do to make my crossmember still work.

and also one more question how would i do the steering. power steering??

oo wait sry but onemore question do u think i would beable to to still have someway to make my stock abs work without the wireing harness??

thanks for the advice if i get ne Mike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts