Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long did it take you guys per side?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldn't take longer then 1.5 hours in a driveway if you know what your doing.

Remember, while prying the axle out of the diff if it does not come out rotate it 1/3 of the way. Try prying again. It should not take the force of a gorilla to pop it out.
Im no mechanic but it looks pretty straight forward. I have one tut that I wil be using, do you have any specific tut that you would recommend?

Also, 1.5 hours per side or both?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Shouldn't take longer then 1.5 hours in a driveway if you know what your doing.

Remember, while prying the axle out of the diff if it does not come out rotate it 1/3 of the way. Try prying again. It should not take the force of a gorilla to pop it out.
Go to your local auto parts and rent a slide hammer with the hook style puller attachment and pick up a 5" hose clamp. Put the hook on one of the recessed flat spots on the cv and Clamp it down with the hose clamp so it cant slide off. give it a good tap with the slide hammer pops right out every time and is much easier than screwing with the pry bar

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Im no mechanic but it looks pretty straight forward. I have one tut that I wil be using, do you have any specific tut that you would recommend?

Also, 1.5 hours per side or both?
It takes me 2 hours max to get both sides done completely. That's from walking out the garage to start . . . . . to the last tool is put away. The tools you'll need are: 35mm socket(axle nut), 14mm socket(lower bj bolts), pliers/screwdriver(for the cotter pin), pry bar(for the axle), and a mallet/bfh to seat the axle in the diff. Oh. . . . and cold beer waiting for you after you've completed the job. Have at it!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
We ran into problem after problem with the job, so what should have been about 2-3 hours turned into 5 hrs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It takes me 2 hours max to get both sides done completely. That's from walking out the garage to start . . . . . to the last tool is put away. The tools you'll need are: 35mm socket(axle nut), 14mm socket(lower bj bolts), pliers/screwdriver(for the cotter pin), pry bar(for the axle), and a mallet/bfh to seat the axle in the diff. Oh. . . . and cold beer waiting for you after you've completed the job. Have at it!
Sparky and I changed one on Dishpan in under an hour from time it went bang to the time the fellow wheeler was on his way back up the hill. This included winch time and running between two trucks for tools(one at top of the hill and one at bottom). I would say average person plan on 1.5 hours per side and getting faster as you get more practice.

·
Registered
278 Posts
tutorial.

its pretty easy but was too much for me to learn on the trail and i needed help.

best tip id give is to be patient when sliding axles back in. wiggle it around and try differnt positions to get the snap ring to go go in. if you find the right position with a snap ring that not too bent up...it will slid in by hand without a need to beat on it. one of mine went in so easy i wasnt sure it was really in. normaly they just need to be slid in with some momentum. resist the urge to motivate them with a hammer like ive done since the snap ring will chew up your splines a bit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the hardest part is removing it and sliding the new one in?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts