TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if one was going to have a 3FE rebuilt in the Colorado Springs/Denver area, who would be the person to talk to?

I'm looking to not only have one rebuilt, but perhaps give it a little bit more pep as well, while maintaining the reliability that the 3FE has to offer.

I know mine is tired with 261k+ miles on it. So it's time to look for options (and theres one on CL that might be a good candidate for a rebuild...)

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Call up Lanier's downtown; 633-1378. I've had nothing but good work from them over the years and there's no BS allowed so you'll always get straight answers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call up Lanier's downtown; 633-1378. I've had nothing but good work from them over the years and there's no BS allowed so you'll always get straight answers.
Since your a shop guru, what do you think I'm looking at for a price point for parts, labor, and machining if I drop off the motor stripped of all accessories (just the block/head). This truck/motor really needs some love, and since I just found some headers on clearance for a 3FE, I'd really like to make this a reality.

Also, what are your thoughts on pulling more power out of this motor? I've seen a post about Slee rebuilding a 3FE with .060 pistons and .060 milled from the head(?) to raise compression. It was running premium fuel, but performed much than a stock 3FE.

Thanks for the help Dan.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
How many parts; are you getting a new crank, rods, pistons? Rings, bearings and all that? Does the head need valve guides? I know boring a cylinder is $20/hole, so there's $120 if you go the bigger piston/bore direction. If you have all the rotating assembly (crank/rods/pistons) apart and labeled, it'd get done quicker and potential problems can be found sooner.

When the head surface is milled (milling takes off more than machining; machining makes it perfectly flat) you may have to check the piston-to-valve clearance; otherwise the piston could smack the valve and you're gonna have a bad day. I'm no expert on the Toyota sixes; I kind of know stuff about the 5 and 7MGE engines, but not much about the 3F series.

If you call them, he'll ask what vehicle the engine is going in, what you want from it and things like that. I may be down that way tomorrow so I'll stop by and see what's up.

FWIW the 292 inch inline 6 for my '67 Chevy ran me about $1600; but that included:
pistons
rings
rods
bearings (cam n crank)
oil pump
freeze plugs
gaskets
custom camshaft
hot-tank the bits (hi temp caustic acid cleaning)
bore cylinders
assembly of everything
oh, and paint the block :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I wanted to hear. I'm thinking it will probably need new pistons/rings, probably some work on the head, etc. Guessing it will need quite a bit of work.

If I can keep it under $2k, the wife will PROBABLY not kill me. lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lanier's said a rebuild would be in the $5-6k range, and take a long time since parts are hard to get or take a long time to recieve for the 3FE. Soooo, I guess I'm stuck in the slow lane for now lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
Why don't you go with a Chevy 5.3?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Damn, I had no idea parts would be that much of a pain to source; figured it's a Toyota, it'd be easy. Seems a SBC swap would be cheaper; figure in the adapters, plumbing, wiring and everything else and it could be less than a rebuild. Building 350s can be done so cheap these days since the LSx engines have been on the scene.

There's a 1UZ-FE in a Lexus SC400 at the U-Pull... it caught my eye but not my wallet. $300 is out of my reach; but that would be an awesome swap.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Did someone say fab skills? How long do you have to work with; I may have shop space opening up in September/October...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Did you see this:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/4579334322.html

1992 3FE w/auto trans for $300. 200k miles, and I bet the bearings look new. You're right about rebuild it; I checked rockauto.com and they don't even list an engine rebuild kit for that puppy... which is rather odd. The way I see it, if you can get some pistons with the correct valve relief and diameter, you can rebuild it. Even if they're for a 1979 Dodge Polara (hypothetically speaking) they'd work.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the one I've been eyeing to possibly have rebuilt. Don't really want a lot of down time on the truck.

Still need to give Justin at Redline a call and see what he thinks. He might have some insight on other possiblities (like a 2FE)

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
So what did you go with? A 2FE is a step backwards IMO; they're smogged-out dogs and gutless. Check the power ratings; you may be able to score a swap from a newer LC or Lexus for cheap; yank the engine and sell the carcass to us since we have a few orders for Utes already.

And the prototype left for SEMA yesterday! :cool:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it looks like I'm coming down on orders for NY, so the 80 won't be in my future for much longer. Just isn't anywhere to wheel up there, and it's all private parks. I'm definitely spoiled by Colorado. So it'll be going on the market ahortly, most likely before I have to renew my tags for it in February. Sad to see it go, but it'd be harder to see it sitting in NY not getting used.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm coming down on orders for NY, so the 80 won't be in my future for much longer. Just isn't anywhere to wheel up there, and it's all private parks. I'm definitely spoiled by Colorado. So it'll be going on the market ahortly, most likely before I have to renew my tags for it in February. Sad to see it go, but it'd be harder to see it sitting in NY not getting used.
No wheeling, no guns. How sad!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it listed for $9500. That'd be the high price so someone can low ball and meet me in the middle price. Or maybe just the I don't really want to sell it that much price. Lol

Wife was even sad when she saw me putting in on CL.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/4778019248.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'll update this as I've decided to keep it.

I ran a compression test on the motor in the truck. It was horrible. So I had to figure out a way to do in a more cost effective way than a total rebuild.

An FJ62 popped up that the owner was doing a Vortech swap on, so he was selling his rebuilt 3FE with 80k miles from it.

But I missed that sale.

I got lucky however. A guy over on Rising Sun bought the motor to take the EFI components off of it for his 2F in his FJ60.

SO I got the short block at a steal! Still have to get the rest of the motor out of the 80, but I pulled the head so I could get it to the machine shop. Thanks to Dan for the tip on the machine shop!

I'm going to pull the motor/trans as a unit. Going to tackle all the leaks present on the drivetrain. Transfer case leaks. Transmission pan leaks.

Setting a tentative day of April 1st to have this done. Fingers crossed!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts