TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any1 here using this to protect thier babies paint job? My wife's 5 week old 05 Avalon has already picked up 3 very small paint chips on the hood. We'd like to better protect this baby, don't need any rust issues or the uglies.

Thanks guys!

MikeS.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have used the 3m clear film that you are talking about...I dont know if it was called scotchguard or not though.
I put some under my Yakima Q towers to prevent scuffing, & I also use it on the carbon fiber exaust on my sport bike to protect against scratching.

Its really good stuff..kind of expensive, but worth it. It doesn't turn yellow in the sun & it is not affected by heat...as proven by my application on my exaust.

I give it 2 thumbs up. :flipoff1: Oh wait those arent thumbs....lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not cheap but works VERY well. I had a 2002 VW Passat Wagon prior to my Tacoma and had the entire front end done. A few days later I was passed by a gravel/sanding truck just outside of Banff, Alberta. The vehicle was sprayed with rocks all over. The windshield was pitted, but there wasn't a single rock chip on the front/hood/side mirrors because of the 3M coating.

Highly recommended and my wife's new 05 CRV is getting the treatment shortly.

Pete

·
Registered
185 Posts
This stuff works very well, but it's a bitch to install. If you're going to have someone do it, thats fine. If doing it yourself, imagine tinting multi-curved windows. I've had a part of doing a few of these kits on bmw's. Comes out nice if you take your time and have help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yea I’ve done it to two of my vehicles… definitely worth it if you’re planning on keeping your vehicle for a long time. I would also recommend you have it done professionally, just too many dam curves on the front end of most vehicles makes it extremely difficult to do by yourself. Not sure who in your area installs this stuff or who is reputable, but if your interested, I have a guy in Mineola, NY that I use, who does awesome work. Bit of a drive from VA, but trust me, it would be well worth it :) Installation is key for this stuff. No matter how good the film is, if its not applied right, it will look like shit. Also my guy does custom applications, meaning he does not use kits that are pre cut. So he can tailor the coverage to exactly what you want, which usually means more coverage than a pre cut kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey try autobarn.com they have some that made by trimbrite.. I have it one the rockers of the taco.. Get stuff and only like 15 a roll

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another product that can be used is X-pel. They carry paint protection products and headlight protection products. I put the hood protector and headlight kit on which includes headlights, markers, and turn signals. So far I have been very happy with the products. I looked into getting the 3-M stuff but they didn't have any lighting protection products, somthing to do with transparancy. Check it out

http://www.xpel.com/

·
Registered
503 Posts
Searched and found this...

Anyone have any other feedback on this stuff? I am picking up my new truck today and plan to put somthing on the lower half of the truck to avoid scratches and such.

Chris

·
Registered
246 Posts
CMB1998 said:
Searched and found this...

Anyone have any other feedback on this stuff? I am picking up my new truck today and plan to put somthing on the lower half of the truck to avoid scratches and such.

Chris

I highly recommend it.

I have purchased both the 3M stuff and the AutoBarn stuff and can say the following:

3M - Really $$ but applies softer and easier. By softer I mean it can stretch around corners a little easier.

Autobarn stuff: Looks identical, it's just a little harder to install on a curved surface.

I have the Autobarn stuff on the rocker panel area of my bed and on the leading edge of my painted rear flares and it works great, but applying it to the flare area was a b!tch to say the least.

Bottom line: If you can spare the dineros and you're applying it yourself, go with the 3M. If price is an issue, the AutoBarn stuff is about 40% of the cost of the 3M stuff, is just as thick and looks exactly the same as the 3M film when installed BUT it's harder to install.

Either way, the clear film from either supplier is the way to go for paint protection.

-Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts