TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a 12v outlet that was always on and didnt want to do the mod to change the two in dash ones.
I bought a 12v receptacle from a sporting goods store, a marine 12v outlet with a cover. I removed the tray from in front of the shifter to check for clearance before drilling. I placed it on the passanger side, ran a in-line fuse to a constant on at the fuse panel, and found a ground. Both use a female spade to plug to the back of the outlet.
I can now leave my cell phone in the truck overnight to charge while at work.

On the passenger side there is a rubber plug pull it out and trim the back side of it off, its a rubber grommet to pass the wire through.

remove the glove box and there is a good ground point under the 10mm bolt.

after putting female spades on the hot & ground wires pluging them to the backside of the 12v outlet run the hot wire through the grommet , going from the engine compartment into the cab.

I ran the wire over to my aftermarket fuse block I installed on the driver side.

The whole install may have taken 1hr counting getting tools, wire etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
kai38...GREAT LOOKING MOD! Beats the complicated mods shown before.

Question...could you place the plug on the edge facing the driver (on the passenger side) so that a passenger would not accidentally hit it with their leg? It would be easier to plug and unplug that way. Couldn't tell if the edge of the plastic console was wide enough for the plug assy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plug can be placed on either side of the counsel. My teen daughters sit up front and haven't kicked it yet, it does sit up out of the way. It can me moved closer to the front of the truck also.

kai38...GREAT LOOKING MOD! Beats the complicated mods shown before.

Question...could you place the plug on the edge facing the driver (on the passenger side) so that a passenger would not accidentally hit it with their leg? It would be easier to plug and unplug that way. Couldn't tell if the edge of the plastic console was wide enough for the plug assy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice job, very clean, Yeah my always on is in the bed... pluged my cell in a few times to charge when out there. (well with a cap on and locked) Other than the Cell or CD I dont have too much need though for an always on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to run a fused hot wire to the bed for some LED lighting. Where di you run the + from to inside the bed?
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts