TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me just say I have searched extensively. Both on the forums and using google. The results are very disappointing to say the least, in that there are very few that even touch on this topic.

The generic "will these fit" question is answered, "with a 3" lift". But my question is, has anyone fit 33s on a stock or mildly lifted 3rd gen runner? And what trimming, if any, was needed?

What I am looking for here is information on the best way to accomplish fitting 33" tires on stock or mildly lifted 3rd gen 4R. From ideal wheel offset/bs to trim locations, to even bumper removal, to other parts that would aid in the install such as UCA etc. I basically want to know what is the best way to accomplish this fitment with as little trimming as possible, ie trimming only the necessary and nothing more.

Why do I want this information: I purchased an OME lift, I paid $200 too much. I thought I was buying the 2.5" heavy duty OME kit with sport shocks for $870, which wheelers sells for ~$650. Unfortunately what ARB handed over when I went to pick it up was the most base kit they offer, a 1.5" front/2.5" rear kit with standard shocks. This sucks, and I am trying to get the correct kit, ideally I would like to just return everything and start fresh from wheelers, however here I am and if I can fit 33s with this small lift, I may just do it. I prefer big tires and no lift, so this could possibly work out really well.

I would also really enjoy some pictures of this setup if available.

Thank you in advance, hopefully some good information can find its way into this thread so the next guy can have better luck than I with the search feature.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

Here is my 3rd gen. 0" lift, 255/85/16 bighorns on stock steelies. I pounded the pinch welds and only have rubbing on the inner fender plastic trim and a little on the frame.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have or could take a shot from the side, more direct than what you've posted. The one up is from a higher angle its tough to see, but a lower side shot would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't have any accessible right now but I'll try and snap one tomorrow afternoon or sometime this weekend. Future plans are as minimal lift as possible, but this is working well enough for now.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are 285/75r16 so a 33x11.5 about. We hammered te hell out of the back of the wheel wells upfront. At full stuff there is some contact. I might throw a 1" lift on and I think that will make te difference. Although I would rather not. But driving is fine. And te rear is totally fine. At full stuff there is minor contact. But it's fine.. I'm happy. But I do need gears

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
These are 285/75r16 so a 33x11.5 about. We hammered te hell out of the back of the wheel wells upfront. At full stuff there is some contact. I might throw a 1" lift on and I think that will make te difference. Although I would rather not. But driving is fine. And te rear is totally fine. At full stuff there is minor contact. But it's fine.. I'm happy. But I do need gears
Looks nice!

I noticed a few contact spots on the rear of mine the other day, time to cut some of the rear bumper just a tad. I'm debating on taking the fronts off and getting an extremely large hammer and trying to pound even more up front just for safe measure. Until I get CO's I'm debating on just getting some bilstein 5100s and putting my stock coils on those at the middle setting and finding something to match the rear. That's if I even lift it at all.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks nice!

I noticed a few contact spots on the rear of mine the other day, time to cut some of the rear bumper just a tad. I'm debating on taking the fronts off and getting an extremely large hammer and trying to pound even more up front just for safe measure. Until I get CO's I'm debating on just getting some bilstein 5100s and putting my stock coils on those at the middle setting and finding something to match the rear. That's if I even lift it at all.

I'm pretty sure my OME 1.25/2 lift will make the necesary difference in any remaing contact. I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm sure there will be 100 people telling me that I'm wrong but in my experience on 3 3rd gen 4runners and 3 new body style tacomas is that if you stick with OE (or very close) backspaced wheels (and OE width) you can FIT much bigger tires than most people say you can.

On my current build I'm running a set of Icon front coilovers turned down REALLY low, I'm at 2" of front lift (or less) with 285/75/16 BFG all-terrains on TRD FJ Cruiser 16" wheels and I don't get any rub other than a little on the frame at full lock.

I kept my front swaybar connected as it is primarily a street driver and I don't really think for what I do removing it is worthwhile given that too much droop is what breaks these CV axles.

Prior to the icons I was running TRD Tundra front springs with no additional spacers like a lot of guys run and my results were the same.

What rear coils did they give you? 890/891/906?

I've got 891's in the rear and it's 1.25" taller in the rear than the front and even when I'm loaded to go snowboarding with my wife and son + all my normal gear it doesn't compress it enough to make it level. They aren't the right rear spring for me, I want something both lower and lighter.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the 906s in the rear. And I wasn't able to get my rear shocks or front struts off cuz of rusted bolts so right now I'm only riding with the 906s in back and it's raked but not horrible. Once I get the fronts in I think it will be perfect. But as far as ride of springs, they ride nice. Slightly, and I mean slightly firmer

I'm sure there will be 100 people telling me that I'm wrong but in my experience on 3 3rd gen 4runners and 3 new body style tacomas is that if you stick with OE (or very close) backspaced wheels (and OE width) you can FIT much bigger tires than most people say you can.

On my current build I'm running a set of Icon front coilovers turned down REALLY low, I'm at 2" of front lift (or less) with 285/75/16 BFG all-terrains on TRD FJ Cruiser 16" wheels and I don't get any rub other than a little on the frame at full lock.

I kept my front swaybar connected as it is primarily a street driver and I don't really think for what I do removing it is worthwhile given that too much droop is what breaks these CV axles.

Prior to the icons I was running TRD Tundra front springs with no additional spacers like a lot of guys run and my results were the same.

What rear coils did they give you? 890/891/906?

I've got 891's in the rear and it's 1.25" taller in the rear than the front and even when I'm loaded to go snowboarding with my wife and son + all my normal gear it doesn't compress it enough to make it level. They aren't the right rear spring for me, I want something both lower and lighter.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have the 906s in the rear. And I wasn't able to get my rear shocks or front struts off cuz of rusted bolts so right now I'm only riding with the 906s in back and it's raked but not horrible. Once I get the fronts in I think it will be perfect. But as far as ride of springs, they ride nice. Slightly, and I mean slightly firmer
Good to hear. I was considering those, previous to my rear OME coils I ran a 1.5" spacers in the rear with my 2001 springs and sat level (when measured with a tape front to rear). I still have my stock shocks in the back, I'll probably leave them there until I finally decide what to do with my rear suspension. I haven't gone the 906 route yet because I've heard that they can drop out with a longer than stock rear shock.

I'm going to assume that the people that have that issue probably aren't running a rear swaybar though. Be interested in hearing your take if you flex it out and see.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear. I was considering those, previous to my rear OME coils I ran a 1.5" spacers in the rear with my 2001 springs and sat level (when measured with a tape front to rear). I still have my stock shocks in the back, I'll probably leave them there until I finally decide what to do with my rear suspension. I haven't gone the 906 route yet because I've heard that they can drop out with a longer than stock rear shock.

I'm going to assume that the people that have that issue probably aren't running a rear swaybar though. Be interested in hearing your take if you flex it out and see.
With the sway bar connected, and even without, i couldnt get enough droop to take even the stock springs out. We had to compress them and the 906 are slightly longer so itd take some alterations to get them to pop out. Personally i dont plan to do much more than a crawl box and bumpers so i dont think ill run into that.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little update, Justin, I got the rest of the lift put on today and I am pleased. Ride is great, still some minor contact at full lock and stuff but when I get some time ill likely cut and plate the wells. Pics to follow

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Thanks man. Yeah I'm set just like this. In the pic the spring seats were on upside down :rolleyes: so the fronts actually an inch higher. 0 rubbing. FYI.

Bumpers, sliders, gears, crawl Box n this baby done!
Looks good! I really think the 906 springs are what I'll end up with. I don't use this thing for "rock crawling", having a dedicated beater in the past ruined that for me. We'll be making several cross country drives over the next few years and I primarily use my vehicle to take my son out into the backcountry camping and to go snowboarding up in the mountains.

I just got the new AllPro Apex front tacoma bumper and have some LED lights on the way, the stock headlights just don't cut it even when on a trail in the dark. A winch and rear bumper will probably be all this sees other than me finishing sorting out the suspension.

My only concern is still the rear springs, I can't see myself putting a rear carrier on the bumper because of how much I use my rear hatch, I've had to deal with that in the past and it does get annoying. Plus, my 285 fits underneath in the stock location even with my hitch. I'm hoping I can build a light enough rear bumper that I don't add too much weight after dropping all the OEM stuff back there and hitch. But we'll see.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Im happy to know a 285 fits back there as I was worried about the swing gate weight, and annoyance. I think once you remove all the stock bumper and hitch stuff you'll be looking at very little extra weight, and if your spare is on an aluminum rim, probably very little increase there as well. I plan to do crawl box, front and rear bumpers, sliders, and a flat belly. That's it. Again, just for camping and snowboarding, but realistically with these mods it should be quite capable outside of rock crawling. I wonder if that added weight will have much effect on my ride height, I'm sure it will bring it down some, but my hope is I won't gain much weight after removing the stock stuff.

As far as headlights go, no shit! I will likely put some Aftermarket lights in and possibly an HID kit if the one I got for my Tacoma will fit. I will likely go with CBI bumpers and LED fogs.

I remember you had a Tacoma I believe with a kick ass rear bumper.

-Jordon

Looks good! I really think the 906 springs are what I'll end up with. I don't use this thing for "rock crawling", having a dedicated beater in the past ruined that for me. We'll be making several cross country drives over the next few years and I primarily use my vehicle to take my son out into the backcountry camping and to go snowboarding up in the mountains.

I just got the new AllPro Apex front tacoma bumper and have some LED lights on the way, the stock headlights just don't cut it even when on a trail in the dark. A winch and rear bumper will probably be all this sees other than me finishing sorting out the suspension.

My only concern is still the rear springs, I can't see myself putting a rear carrier on the bumper because of how much I use my rear hatch, I've had to deal with that in the past and it does get annoying. Plus, my 285 fits underneath in the stock location even with my hitch. I'm hoping I can build a light enough rear bumper that I don't add too much weight after dropping all the OEM stuff back there and hitch. But we'll see.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts