TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I'm thinking about getting a 3rd gen 4runner and I was wondering what kind of lifts you guys like to run on your 4runners? I've built a couple of tacomas but I dont know much about 4runner?
I will probably run 285/75/16 so i was thinking about 3 inches of suspension and 2" of BL.
Just wondering what you guys like/prefer?
Also I haven't seen much about you guys regearing your 4runners, is it worth the money to regear?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why do you need so much lift? Go Old Man Emu if you're going to keep the IFS.

·
Registered
799 Posts
hey guys I'm thinking about getting a 3rd gen 4runner and I was wondering what kind of lifts you guys like to run on your 4runners? I've built a couple of tacomas but I dont know much about 4runner?
I will probably run 285/75/16 so i was thinking about 3 inches of suspension and 2" of BL.
Just wondering what you guys like/prefer?
Also I haven't seen much about you guys regearing your 4runners, is it worth the money to regear?
You really only need 2.5" of suspension and 1" BL to clear them. If you have $ I would go Donahoe coil over for the front and for the rear Land Cruiser springs are common or you can do OME.(few other options but cant think off the top of my head)
Most likely if you get any offroad tire with sidewall lugs you will need after market control arms and rims.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Forget the body lift, please. If you must, keep it at an inch to an inch and a half.

PM Jacque at [email protected] for current info on this: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11802

OME is the best value for the money, and with that and a very small body lift you will clear those tires.

You would not need to re-gear for that, put the money towards lockers instead... unless you have the means to do both (gears & lockers) at the same time... then nudge your gears down a little to optimize the off-road performance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
pre 05 tacoma's share the same front running gear as the 3rd gen 4runners.

im running fagtech CO's...not the greatest..but they work. 'hoes, saw's, downey, and fagtech dirt logic offer rebuildable CO's. others also use the tundra TRD oem lift which incorporates using tundra trd front coils & struts. gives about 2". as mentioned above, sonoransteel will have the complete lift you want. OME also offers front & rear lifts. you can also run spacers..but we all know they suck and give a crappy ride. or if you want...you can go with any of the drop bracket kits that work for the tacoma. my **** are on the stiffer side, which i think the saws n 'hoes would be. the oem TRD is a bit more on the plush side of things, and my buddies downey kit seems slightly stiffer than stock..possibly like the tundra setup.

2"+ will clear 285's. you dont need shaved/aftermarket UCA's unless youre running stock oem 16's (4.75"BS) and 12.5" or wider tires. or 315/75/16 (35's). FYI: 285/75/16 = 33/11.5/16. 285's WILL clear UCA's with backspaced wheels 4.5" or less. some clear 285's on stockers while other rub...go figure. i think it depends on the tire.

body lift will give you additional clearance. i wouldnt go more than 1.5".

doesnt matter whether its a runner or taco. regearing is regearing is regearing. depending on what gears are in there already..you may or may not want to. i had stock 265/75/16's on 4.30's. didnt regear when i went to the 285's. when i went to 315's...it was still doable on 4.30's, but i wheel it, so regeared it to 4.88's n slapped in a front ARB while i was in there...

check out yotatech.com for more 3rd gen runner schtuff...

my setup: fagtech fronts & ome 890/pro comp rears. 1.5" 4crawler Body Lift. 35" MT/R's on FZJ80 alloys:

·
Registered
799 Posts

im running fagtech CO's...not the greatest..but they work. 'hoes, saw's, downey, and fagtech dirt logic offer rebuildable CO's. others also use the tundra TRD oem lift which incorporates using tundra trd front coils & struts. gives about 2". as mentioned above, sonoransteel will have the complete lift you want. OME also offers front & rear lifts. you can also run spacers..but we all know they suck and give a crappy ride. or if you want...you can go with any of the drop bracket kits that work for the tacoma. my **** are on the stiffer side, which i think the saws n 'hoes would be. the oem TRD is a bit more on the plush side of things, and my buddies downey kit seems slightly stiffer than stock..possibly like the tundra setup.

2"+ will clear 285's. you dont need shaved/aftermarket UCA's unless youre running stock oem 16's (4.75"BS) and 12.5" or wider tires. or 315/75/16 (35's). FYI: 285/75/16 = 33/11.5/16. 285's WILL clear UCA's with backspaced wheels 4.5" or less. some clear 285's on stockers while other rub...go figure. i think it depends on the tire.

doesnt matter whether its a runner or taco. regearing is regearing is regearing. depending on what gears are in there already..you may or may not want to. i had stock 265/75/16's on 4.30's. didnt regear when i went to the 285's. when i went to 315's...it was still doable on 4.30's, but i wheel it, so regeared it to 4.88's n slapped in a front ARB while i was in there...

my setup: fagtech fronts & ome 890/pro comp rears. 1.5" 4crawler Body Lift. 35" MT/R's on FZJ80 alloys:
I was going to say that but figured everyone would get all up in arms:rolleyes: But I X2 that yotatech has alot of info.
I second the "keep it under a 1.5" BL" you dont really need any bigger and taller you go more stuff you have to change. :2cents:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I know you can fit 285 with just a couple inches of lift but i'm worried about them rubbing the fenders. I understand about the wheel backspacing affecting the frame/Control arm rubbing, I had that problem on one of my Tacos. But what about the pinch weld and fender? Is that not an issue?

Someone else pointed me toward yotatech I've picked up some good info over there.

Is there any reason other than cost that more people seem to be running tundra coils and that sort of thing rather than hoes or other adjustable co's?

·
Registered
111 Posts
the only issues i had was with my Limited flares & running boards. had to trim off some of the front flare, as well as the front edge of the running board, behind the front wheel. no issues in the back, aside from slight rub under full stuff...

you may have to do some grinding of the pinch weld area..no big deal. from the info i gathered, most are running the tundra setup for the ride quality. compared to ome, the oem stuff wont sag after time...

·
Registered
799 Posts
the only issues i had was with my Limited flares & running boards. had to trim off some of the front flare, as well as the front edge of the running board, behind the front wheel. no issues in the back, aside from slight rub under full stuff...

you may have to do some grinding of the pinch weld area..no big deal. from the info i gathered, most are running the tundra setup for the ride quality. compared to ome, the oem stuff wont sag after time...
I also heard that after you install the lift and you get an alignment to tell them to set the wheel as far forward (in Toyota specs) as possible and it will eliminate rubbing. But like many other things with Toyotas this works for some but not for others.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I ran 33s on mine with 1.5" of total lift. barely rubbed without trimming and never rubbed after minor trimming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts