TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock size is 5.25", but any aftermarket will require some mods.
on my last 4runner i made and HDF plate and used my 6.5" speakers from my tacoma. it was a pain in the ass.
what have ya'll done to fit a larger speaker in the back doors of a 3rd gen 4runner?
i'm thinking MDF or plexi plate/riser with some metal trimming. this is what the innards look like.

while i'm at it, i'm sound deadening the inner door skin, and outer.

·
Registered
843 Posts
There are several ways to do this. One way is to make a speaker ring/spacer for your aftermarket speakers and depending on how big the spacer is you can fit bigger speakers behind the stock location however I wouldn't go any bigger than 6.5". When you're fitting the speaker behind the panel with the spacer you're probably going to end up trimming the backside of the door panel to fit the larger speaker wherever won't sit flush behind the panel. Unless you're wanting to upgrade into a component set (which I wouldn't recommend for rear fill) I would just go with a quality set of 5.25" and do the speaker "spacer" out of MDF. Make sure that you seal the MDF somehow though. If it gets wet (which is possible) the mdf is ruined. You can use lacquer spray on it and that will probably do the trick.

The other way to do this will require a bit of fiberglass work and you will simply put a speaker ring on top of the door panel and form a pod. When you get done with the fiberglass you'll have to cut a hole wherever you have the pod to fit the bigger speaker in. Again anything bigger than 6.5" and you're going to want to cut the hole first and make a rear panel out of fiberglass. You can reference my sub box thread and you'll see that I'm working on the speaker pods for my front door right now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts